Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] 10.12.6 Asus Z270 Prime A + i7 7000 + GTX1070 + Samsung 960 EVO NVMe + Thunderbolt EX3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Middleman We have pretty much the same setup here. The one thing I can't do is boot with USB Enabled in the TB bios settings. Not that I need it, I just want to know why. Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I'm planning to do a build with these components. I was wondering if this build can work using Intel's integrated graphic card or with a less expensive graphic card?
Thanks

Oh absolutely. All you have to do is use the default setting and remove the Nvidiaweb drivers or any reference to the Nvida settings. Follow other Asus Prime guides that use the Intel chip GPU. That should work.

@Middleman We have pretty much the same setup here. The one thing I can't do is boot with USB Enabled in the TB bios settings. Not that I need it, I just want to know why. Any thoughts?

That's a bit odd. To enable the TB3 card to work, the first you need to do is have a working Windows 10 setup so that you can update the TB3 firmware on the card. No matter when you bought the card, the update is essential for it to work 100% in OSX. As my guide stated you need to upload the Asus TB3 firmware updates in numerical order, so that it activates properly (and make sure it is detected in the Asus TB3 properties in Windows). The second is that the PCI card should sit on the 3rd slot in the system (with the relevant wire plugged into the motherboard) for most of the functions to activate.

Hi all,

Oh absolutely. All you have to do is use the default setting and remove the Nvidiaweb drivers or any reference to the Nvida settings. Follow other Asus Prime guides that use the Intel chip GPU. That should work.

That's a bit odd. To enable the TB3 card to work, the first you need to do is have a working Windows 10 setup so that you can update the TB3 firmware on the card. No matter when you bought the card, the update is essential for it to work 100% in OSX. As my guide stated you need to upload the Asus TB3 firmware updates in numerical order, so that it activates properly (and make sure it is detected in the Asus TB3 properties in Windows). The second is that the PCI card should sit on the 3rd slot in the system (with the relevant wire plugged into the motherboard) for most of the functions to activate.

I should have followed up. Sorry about that. I spent some time making sure all of my patches were in the correct folders instead of "other" in the EFI and also did a custom SSDT for USB. I had a ton of redundancies and unnecessary items and in the wrong places. After cleaning up the place I went back and enabled USB on the card and all went well. I can even use it in clover. I also have a hot swap enabled and it works super well. Im especially surprised how it works in between reboots. The only quirk is going from complete shut down to boot: turn on TB device, boot, restart, back in business.

Hello, I’m having a lot of difficulty getting the thunderbolt working. I tried everything to get the ex 3 working, ended up returning for an alpine ridge and still no luck. Was wondering if you’d be able to shed some light on what bios version you’re running? I upgraded to the latest but have been trying to downgrade it and try other versions, would love to know yours. If you have any tips would be greatly appreciated. Btw everything else has been flawless for my setup so thank you!

S
Hello, I’m having a lot of difficulty getting the thunderbolt working. I tried everything to get the ex 3 working, ended up returning for an alpine ridge and still no luck. Was wondering if you’d be able to shed some light on what bios version you’re running? I upgraded to the latest but have been trying to downgrade it and try other versions, would love to know yours. If you have any tips would be greatly appreciated. Btw everything else has been flawless for my setup so thank you!
Sure thing!

Are you seeing the Apollo in Windows? If not then shutdown your computer. Unplug the power cable and wait around 30 seconds so all the power caps drain. I also like to push the on off button while unplugged to speed things up. Turn on the Apollo then boot your computer into Windows. Report back!

S

Sure thing!

Are you seeing the Apollo in Windows? If not then shutdown your computer. Unplug the power cable and wait around 30 seconds so all the power caps drain. I also like to push the on off button while unplugged to speed things up. Turn on the Apollo then boot your computer into Windows. Report back!

Hey! I've rebooted several times now. Been trying all sorts of things for a few days now. I've ended up not getting past this every time. Also i've included my bios settings.

I don't have a disk drive so i don't know if that is mandatory for the set up or not, I downloaded all the drivers from the internet tho. Is there something on that disk that is absolutely mandatory that can't be found online?

Look forward to hearing back!

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1902.jpeg
    IMG_1902.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1904.jpeg
    IMG_1904.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1905.jpeg
    IMG_1905.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 239
Disable Thunderbolt Boot and restart the whole thing. I'll be around to help.

Disable Thunderbolt Boot and restart the whole thing. I'll be around to help.
The whole thing as in uninstall the thunderbolt stuff again? I just unplugged the system for 30 seconds and turned back on with the thunderbolt boot option off a few times with no luck.

The whole thing as in uninstall the thunderbolt stuff again? I just unplugged the system for 30 seconds and turned back on with the thunderbolt boot option off a few times with no luck.
Also, do you mind telling me which bios you’re running? I’d love to eliminate that as a possible reason

Also, do you mind telling me which bios you’re running? I’d love to eliminate that as a possible reason

Just checking here, do you have the TB header cable connected?

Im using the most current bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back