Contribute
Register

Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Z170 - i5-6600K - MSI Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice build Stork, and nice write-up as always :thumbup:

I've been looking at the M.2 SSD blades, and there are several. The 950 Pro would appear to be the latest and greatest but is NVMe only. My usual supplier also has the SM951 in both NVMe and AHCI variants.

The only apparent difference is the read speeds (950 Pro = 2500MB/s, SM951 = 2150MB/s).

I wonder if the AHCI variant of the SM951 would boot in one of these boards ?

I would happily take the slightly slower read speed if it meant getting it to boot properly, and being 100% supported.

Anything to report? What are your BIOS settings?

I have not found big difference. The Settings is same. It boots a little faster. But not so noticeable. Everything runs smoothly. :thumbup:

Nice build Stork, and nice write-up as always :thumbup:

I've been looking at the M.2 SSD blades, and there are several. The 950 Pro would appear to be the latest and greatest but is NVMe only. My usual supplier also has the SM951 in both NVMe and AHCI variants.

The only apparent difference is the read speeds (950 Pro = 2500MB/s, SM951 = 2150MB/s).

I wonder if the AHCI variant of the SM951 would boot in one of these boards ?

I would happily take the slightly slower read speed if it meant getting it to boot properly, and being 100% supported.
Wonkey, I have the Samsung 950 (NVMe) and, while I have been able to install El Cappy on it, I've not been able to boot from it. (Must be over looking a BIOS setting or something, I've got the kexts in the right places.)

Wonkey, I have the Samsung 950 (NVMe) and, while I have been able to install El Cappy on it, I've not been able to boot from it. (Must be over looking a BIOS setting or something, I've got the kexts in the right places.)

Have you emailed Asus about it ? Would hope they are responsive to any issues with their newest boards and the latest and greatest hardware out there.

Have you emailed Asus about it ? Would hope they are responsive to any issues with their newest boards and the latest and greatest hardware out there.
I haven't contacted ASUS because other folks on this board have got a M.2 NVMe SSD working. So, it's something that I've done or not have done that's causing my problem. I'll work it out eventually, but I'm frustrated.

Thank you Stork for sharing this.

Your guide helped me to setup a my system with almost the same configuration, but with an Asus Maximus VIII Hero as mainboard.

The system is running smooth. One thing I had to change was the LAN device driver. The AppleIGB driver of MultiBeast did not work for me. It seems it is outdated and does not support the I219V port of the ASUS VIII series.
Installing the lastest version of IntelMausiEthernet (http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=303) solved this problem.

There are 2 small issues left:

1. Audio stops working after sleep
2. I followed the hints and did not install HWMonitor and the FakeSMC Plugins. But I really miss a working version of HWMonitor. Where do I find / how do I setup this for skylake. Any alternatives to this?

Maybe someone has some ideas to sort out 1. and 2.

Thank you Stork for sharing this.

Your guide helped me to setup a my system with almost the same configuration, but with an Asus Maximus VIII Hero as mainboard.

The system is running smooth. One thing I had to change was the LAN device driver. The AppleIGB driver of MultiBeast did not work for me. It seems it is outdated and does not support the I219V port of the ASUS VIII series.
Installing the lastest version of IntelMausiEthernet (http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=303) solved this problem.

There are 2 small issues left:

1. Audio stops working after sleep
2. I followed the hints and did not install HWMonitor and the FakeSMC Plugins. But I really miss a working version of HWMonitor. Where do I find / how do I setup this for skylake. Any alternatives to this?

Maybe someone has some ideas to sort out 1. and 2.
We're in the process of updating MultiBeast. But, since this is still early in El Cappy's life, kext authors are updating their kexts faster than we can update MultiBeast (sometimes you just have to let the dust settle). So, that's why we put the updated kexts in the Download section. Updates are calming down, so updated MB soon.

1. Hard to give you advice when you haven't put your system's components in your Profile and signature. (I wish I was telepathic.) See the El Capitan Desktop Support and/or Audio forum sections for possible solution. This thread is good place to start: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...st-solutions-el-capitan-install-problems.html. If not, post your problem in either of the forum sections (but, not both).

2. RehabMan has a branch of HWMonitor and the FakeSMC Plugins that is working with Skylake processors IIRC. Make sure you understand the caveats he states: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek. I don't use them because of the initial problems the HWMonitor and Skylake processors. So, report back here if you get HWMonitor working. :thumbup:

im starting new with a USB2.0 Stick and any issues was gone :thumbup:

so my system runs like charm without any issue , thx for the detailed install manual

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-02 um 18.33.33.png
OSX Info.png

Hi Stork,

Thanks for the awesome build out that you posted. I have been lurking around for a little bit and found it time to build my first hackintosh. I already had some parts laying around and I wanted to check and see if my configuration would work. Since it closely resembles the system you put together I was hoping to get your input. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I anticipate if possible currently using a LAN connection. If unable to on the MOBO will do wifi.

MOBO - Same
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII GENE mATX Z170 USB 3.1

Processor - Same
Intel i5-6600K Skylake

Cooler
Corsair H100i (already have)

Video Card (already have)
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3967-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487155

Memory - Same
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory

Solid State Drive - Same (have)