Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

1) nvda_drv=1 doesn't do anything in Sierra. Just an FYI.

What kind of connection are you using to your monitor? If VGA via an adapter, that is likely the issue. If DisplayPort then change your monitor settings from DP1.2 to DP1.1.
Thats it! Issue was DVI -> VGA adapter I was using since my screen only as VGA and DVI inputs and I was using DVI on my MacBook Pro. Thank you so much! :)

Post your config

UPDATE: So I found this great guide to a very similar board:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-sierra-on-the-ga-z170x-ud3.202296/

And now I have everything fairly well setup. The GTX 980 actually shows up as 6gb instead of the 2gb it was showing up as. I no longer have to Inject Nvidia to boot but ..... I still have the same problem Driver loaded is the 355.x.x.x. and not the 367.x.x.x.

Going to try posting on that thread as well, and thanks for your responses slim.jim. It pointed me towards progress!

Hi,
I updated to the latest version of 10.11.6 and nvidia driver stopped working. So I thought I would apply the fix, which is described in "Problem 5". Unfortunately In System/Library/Extensions/ I don't have any nvidia related file (there should be NVDAStartupWeb.kext). Where can I find it?

Hi,
I updated to the latest version of 10.11.6 and nvidia driver stopped working. So I thought I would apply the fix, which is described in "Problem 5". Unfortunately In System/Library/Extensions/ I don't have any nvidia related file (there should be NVDAStartupWeb.kext). Where can I find it?
You have already asked this question - No need to spam it.

If you installed the web drivers the kext will be in /System/Library/Extensions if not, it will not exist.
Make sure that you are looking in /System/Library/Extensions and not /Library/Extensions.

I think instruction is wrong for clearing cache. When I try to do sudo kextcache -system-caches
there's a message:
unrecognized option -system-caches
usage: kextcache <mkext_flag> [options] [--] [kext or directory] ...
kextcache -prelinked-kernel <filename> [options] [--] [kext or directory]
kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache [options] -prelinked-kernel
kextcache -invalidate <volume>
kextcache -update-volume <volume> [options]
kextcache -system-caches [options]
use kextcache -help for an explanation of each option

My hackintosh still won't boot. I actually managed to get it boot once, but after restarting it it wouldn't boot again. I will upload a picture of what verbose gives me.

I can boot the computer using the USB and it works. I am not sure what to do from here.

Attachments

• IMG_3424.JPG
    IMG_3424.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 107
since updating, it doesn't recognise my build now. i am using build 15G1421 but the graphics driver package won't even open and i get problem number 2 but i have since uninstalled the driver and i have no plist to edit now.

My hackintosh still won't boot. I actually managed to get it boot once, but after restarting it it wouldn't boot again. I will upload a picture of what verbose gives me.

I can boot the computer using the USB and it works. I am not sure what to do from here.

Simple, copy the EFI folder from the USB to the boot drive where Clover is installed. You can also just try comparing the two config.plist using an online text comparison tool.

since updating, it doesn't recognise my build now. i am using build 15G1421 but the graphics driver package won't even open and i get problem number 2 but i have since uninstalled the driver and i have no plist to edit now.

First update your profile with your current hardware if you are using an Nvidia GPU. Second, there is no driver out right now for your build. You must update the driver with EVERY os update so next time don't update until there is a new version of the driver available. All steps you need to follow are in the initial post.

Back