Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
The RX 480 requires (beside some kext patching) a method to prevent it from getting initialized at boot time, otherwise the macOS drivers will crash. There are several ways to accomplish that, e.g. using iGPU=Primary, using a 2nd "helper" GPU or patching the VBIOS.
All of this method have in common that they'll prevent the Radeon GPU from showing any pre-OS video output (e.g. BIOS splash screen or Clover boot manager), which can be very annoying when using a dual boot system (and that's what most people here do).

That's why it isn't recommended in the Buyer's Guide. People expect the listed hardware to be compatible with only minor fixes, which isn't true for modern AMD GPUs. For the more advanced (or let's call it "adventurous") Hackintosh users, there's lot of information in this subforum to get things going.

Thank you.

My current setup is a 750ti with two monitors: A Cinema Display and some Asus monitor. If I understand correctly, I could buy the RX 480, have one monitor plugged into my 750ti, the other plugged into the RX 480, get the BIOS and Clover on the monitor plugged into my 750ti and then boot into Sierra where the RX 480 would be activated ?

If so, that's definitely doable for me.

J

With multi input monitor it's a minor issue. Boot with iGPU, see boot and clover, when reaching macOS switch output to RX 480. A bit annoying, but for a new gpu, that costs 200€, it's a very good setup.

Even because I read around that the Web Drivers support may be dropped with 10.13, because Apple will drop support for the Mac Pro 3.1, that is the only one with pci-e slot (so the only Apple Machine that can benefit from nVidia web drivers)

just sold my 1070 after 4 months of waiting. No point waiting. At least I can unsubscribe from this thread now.

Guys,

I have a 1070 and a old 970.
A working monitor and a gaming one.
Is it possible to plug both gpus in one system and each gpu to one monitor.

So i can game on my 1070 and work on my 970.

Thx guys

Guys,

I have a 1070 and a old 970.
A working monitor and a gaming one.
Is it possible to plug both gpus in one system and each gpu to one monitor.

So i can game on my 1070 and work on my 970.

Thx guys
Yes, exactly like that.

After reading various forums and ****** etc I have come to the conclusion that if you can't hold your nose and use Windows (like me), wait. Don't buy anything. If AMD's new cards have macOS drivers or if a miracle happens and Nvidia either continues to support Maxwell cards or even better supports Pascal.. Because buying a Maxwell card might not even be a good idea if Nvidia stops supporting those cards after Sierra (which, appears to be very possible, even probable).

The best hope, IMHO, is going to be AMD Vega. If not, then we are all SOL and switching to Windows or Linux might be the only alternative..

Of course, you can get a GTX 980 ti now and then simply never upgrade past Sierra. That I _think_ would work. And given the small amount of real upgrades we see in each version of macOS, that isn't such a horrible thing.

J

f not, then we are all SOL and switching to Windows or Linux might be the only alternative..
Or, you know, buy actual Mac hardware ;-)
If my only choice would be Windows or real Macs, hell, I'll still choose Macs. I'm still working way faster on macOS with 2-year old hardware than I could on a cutting edge Windows machine. The work flow on Windows is really that tedious for me.

And frankly, when you buy iMacs after a recent refresh, they are not THAT bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back