Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen is great. To be fair the iMac is a good machine. The 27" has a 6700K (throttled due to thermal limits however) and uses Apple NVMe. It's slower DDR3 memory as usual (but that has little effect really depending on the use case.)

Not true, the 2015 iMac doesn't throttle. The 2014 did. It competes pretty well against a 6core Mac Pro. The 395x GPU is not bad at all and is very optimized for FCPX and flies with Premiere Pro with OpenCL/Metal.

Right you are, forgot about the top of the line.

Not true, the Titan X Maxwell is also supported and is a very good card.

In all honesty it's about as good as it gets Apple desktop-wise outside the Mac Pro 2013. I think we are comparing Apple's line to theoretical Hack PCs that would definitely beat anything they make and not cost half what they charge.

Example, BroadwellE 6950x and anything powerful Nvidia. Anyway the more I put my mind to it it's an odd argument since we are talking about Apple software which is optimized for their line and hardware not theoretical.

But my ultimate argument is I have a Mac Pro 5.1 maxed out and it keeps up to the 2013 top end. At that I use my Macs for minor video editing (and I'm less happy with new FCPX) and heavy software dev. At the end of the day I'm not using my Mac to do much of anything right now other than xcode and when I manage to get to video editing again. Just my use cases but I'm, saddened I can't use one system for everything I need vs a bunch of them.

This will get almost impossible when they "fusion mac" their systems with ARM and Intel in the near future. I'm wanting to try a VM Hack at some point for the xcode stuff.

Not true, the 2015 iMac doesn't throttle. The 2014 did. It competes pretty well against a 6core Mac Pro. The 395x GPU is not bad at all and is very optimized for FCPX and flies with Premiere Pro with OpenCL/Metal.

While it is true that the Titan X Maxwell is a stronger performer than the 980Ti getting hold of a Titan X is almost impossible.

I see plenty on eBay, but it's pricey still. I went with 2x980Ti's instead of a single Titan X Maxwell (or dual).

In all honesty it's about as good as it gets Apple desktop-wise outside the Mac Pro 2013. I think we are comparing Apple's line to theoretical Hack PCs that would definitely beat anything they make and not cost half what they charge.

Example, BroadwellE 6950x and anything powerful Nvidia. Anyway the more I put my mind to it it's an odd argument since we are talking about Apple software which is optimized for their line and hardware not theoretical.

But my ultimate argument is I have a Mac Pro 5.1 maxed out and it keeps up to the 2013 top end. At that I use my Macs for minor video editing (and I'm less happy with new FCPX) and heavy software dev. At the end of the day I'm not using my Mac to do much of anything right now other than xcode and when I manage to get to video editing again. Just my use cases but I'm, saddened I can't use one system for everything I need vs a bunch of them.

This will get almost impossible when they "fusion mac" their systems with ARM and Intel in the near future. I'm wanting to try a VM Hack at some point for the xcode stuff.
I mean the 2015 iMc has a 6700k (which is what my hacky has) but of course I have a better GPU.

The 2013 Mac Pro is definitely not a good value at this point since they haven't updated in almost 4 years. This is the reason why I went with a Hackintosh.

I see plenty on eBay, but it's pricey still. I went with 2x980Ti's instead of a single Titan X Maxwell (or dual).

I don't see many in this part of the world and those that are, like you say 'pricey'. The performance difference for most people is really quite small. More 980Ti cards are generally available at a much better price. The 980Ti can be overclocked quite easily in Windows if required.

New Quadro pascal cards.... maybe this will help us ? new osx drivers ?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro...tm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=quadro-pascal

Next release of macOS (10.13) will 100% drop the 5,1 Mac Pro which is the last Mac desktop with a PCIe slot that is officially supported by Apple.

This is troubling for the Hackintosh community.

In the future we will probably see AMD support only. (ie Vega). And who knows in the next macOS release nVidia may completely drop Maxwell support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back