Contribute
Register

[solved] Kernel Panic on first time installation of High Sierra on a MSI GT72 2QD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MS-1781 for MSI GT72 2QD / Clover
CPU
Intel i7-4710HQ
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX970M / Integrated IntelHD Graphics 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone, firstly thank you for taking your time to read through my issues here!

Anyways, during the last few years I've used my main PC both with windows and as a hackintosh for developing purposes for IOS, which all went fine. Recently however, since my computers mainboard shorted out, I went for a MSI GT72 2QD laptop, which for now can perform exactly the same tasks as my computer does, however Ive been running into trouble when I started trying to install High Sierra on the laptop using a bootable High Sierra stick made with Unibeast that I still had lying around from my old computer.

Essentially, when booting into the installer in UEFI mode, I get a kernel panic (check attached files) that Ive been trying to solve for a week now. Ive attached a slowed down video of the KP (you might need to go frame by frame), and in fact I believe there are even two kernel panics happening here. The log ends with a last backtrace and then the system tries to restart but it fails (that part is cut off in the end) I also attached Screenshots of both points where the KPs happen and my clover config file.

I have already tried disabling and enabling certain things in the UEFI, tried different kexts, many different boot flags (including disabling my Nvidia GPU or setting cpus=1), enabled dropping some ACPI tables, using a premade EFI someone had used for his MSI GT72 but with a slightly different model, unplugging every USB device and so on. As far as I know the KP happens when it tries loading the AppleACPIPlatform kext, no clue about the second one though.
Installing in legacy mode also does not work, in this instance a single number 6 pops up on the screen, and clover does not even boot, after that the laptop just restarts.

I really do not know what I could try to fix this issue now, many troubleshooting solutions to similar issues include disabling integrated graphics or serial connectors in the bios, but I do not have these options in my UEFI (I also recently updated it).
I probably left out some important information, mainly because it is quite late by the time im writing this, so feel free to ask for anything that I missed.

Ive seen others getting High sierra to work on very similar machines, so I doubt its impossible. Id really love to hear some suggestions, help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Log1.jpg
    Log1.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 653
  • Log2.jpg
    Log2.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 481
  • KP.rar
    32.8 MB · Views: 210
  • config.plist
    4.7 KB · Views: 231
Not a Desktop - Moved to Laptop Support

Hello everyone, firstly thank you for taking your time to read through my issues here!

Anyways, during the last few years I've used my main PC both with windows and as a hackintosh for developing purposes for IOS, which all went fine. Recently however, since my computers mainboard shorted out, I went for a MSI GT72 2QD laptop, which for now can perform exactly the same tasks as my computer does, however Ive been running into trouble when I started trying to install High Sierra on the laptop using a bootable High Sierra stick made with Unibeast that I still had lying around from my old computer.

Essentially, when booting into the installer in UEFI mode, I get a kernel panic (check attached files) that Ive been trying to solve for a week now. Ive attached a slowed down video of the KP (you might need to go frame by frame), and in fact I believe there are even two kernel panics happening here. The log ends with a last backtrace and then the system tries to restart but it fails (that part is cut off in the end) I also attached Screenshots of both points where the KPs happen and my clover config file.

I have already tried disabling and enabling certain things in the UEFI, tried different kexts, many different boot flags (including disabling my Nvidia GPU or setting cpus=1), enabled dropping some ACPI tables, using a premade EFI someone had used for his MSI GT72 but with a slightly different model, unplugging every USB device and so on. As far as I know the KP happens when it tries loading the AppleACPIPlatform kext, no clue about the second one though.
Installing in legacy mode also does not work, in this instance a single number 6 pops up on the screen, and clover does not even boot, after that the laptop just restarts.

I really do not know what I could try to fix this issue now, many troubleshooting solutions to similar issues include disabling integrated graphics or serial connectors in the bios, but I do not have these options in my UEFI (I also recently updated it).
I probably left out some important information, mainly because it is quite late by the time im writing this, so feel free to ask for anything that I missed.

Ive seen others getting High sierra to work on very similar machines, so I doubt its impossible. Id really love to hear some suggestions, help is appreciated!
Read up on the FAQ first:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Link to laptop guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

If you get stuck and need some help then upload your "Problem Reporting" files.

List of files required can be found from the FAQ link above

As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

See guide for good plist files:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Alright, I have just updated my Hardware info. I did not believe that installing OS X on a laptop could be so much more different, but I will make sure to read through the guides for laptops first. I either have the feeling it conflicts with my internal GTX 970M and the Intel HD graphics or that some essential kexts are missing.

Unless anyone has further suggestions Ill give the guide a try.

So I have been following the provided guide for laptops now, and for a change, the verbose output during installer boot now looks different. Instead of failing on a kernal panic, it just hangs after a few error messages stating there is insufficient power to enable usb ports pop up (see attached images):

IMG_3335.JPG

Also, after about 1 minute of waiting, my screen turns jumbled up like this, and the striked through circle appears.
IMG_3334.JPG

Below I have provided my complete CLOVER folder that I set up using the guide, since this is the furthest I got there is nothing more I can try. Also please keep in mind that I am not familiar with all the different concepts of SSDT tables and so on, I was just looking to follow a guide to get this to work, not to make my own patches or workarounds.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 119
So I have been following the provided guide for laptops now, and for a change, the verbose output during installer boot now looks different. Instead of failing on a kernal panic, it just hangs after a few error messages stating there is insufficient power to enable usb ports pop up (see attached images):

View attachment 317066

Also, after about 1 minute of waiting, my screen turns jumbled up like this, and the striked through circle appears.
View attachment 317065

Below I have provided my complete CLOVER folder that I set up using the guide, since this is the furthest I got there is nothing more I can try. Also please keep in mind that I am not familiar with all the different concepts of SSDT tables and so on, I was just looking to follow a guide to get this to work, not to make my own patches or workarounds.

Read guide and follow it:

Use a USB2 stick, try all USB ports.

Just a little update on my progress so far: Firstly, I finally managed to boot into the installer and got High Sierra installed on my HDD using a USB 2.0 Flash drive instead of a 3.0 one. After preparing it with Unibeast and copying over the EFI folder to the 2.0 Drive it worked. I never thought this could have made a huge difference.

Anyways, now that I got OS X installed on a partition on my HDD, there are still several things to fix:
- I messed up a NTFS Data partition on the HDD during partitioning in the installer, which I am currently recovering (Converting the HFS+ parititon back to NTFS)
- I still need to install a bootloader on the internal HDD, I am currently booting into my OS X installation using Clover from the Thumb drive, creating a EFI partition and setting it up correctly on my HDD worked, however it does not show up as a boot option when pressing F11 at start (Perhaps because my HDD is set up as RAID1 for some reason, might need to change that)
- Cant connect USB devices that require more power than usual like my iPhone, High Sierra tells me there is not enough power going to the ports. Since I do not have any USB 2.0 ports, I might need special kexts or patches in the ACPI
- Getting some graphical glitches using my internal Intel HD GPU, thinking about switching to my GTX 970M once things sort of work
- Audio, Wifi and Bluetooth is also not working yet.

Since this thread is about my issue of not being able to boot into the installer, and I got that working now, we can consider this thread closed. I will deal with my issues above by following other guides.

Many thanks for the suggestions that got me this far!

creating a EFI partition and setting it up correctly on my HDD worked,

EFI partition is created automatically (with a special partition GUID) when you partition the disk as GPT (with Disk Utility). If you're creating an EFI partition manually, you're probably doing it incorrectly.

- Cant connect USB devices that require more power than usual like my iPhone, High Sierra tells me there is not enough power going to the ports. Since I do not have any USB 2.0 ports, I might need special kexts or patches in the ACPI

See USB guides linked from the FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

- Getting some graphical glitches using my internal Intel HD GPU,

See guide for correct IGPU configuration/plists:

thinking about switching to my GTX 970M once things sort of work

If it is Optimus, no hope... Read FAQ.

- Audio, Wifi and Bluetooth is also not working yet.

Covered in FAQ...

Since this thread is about my issue of not being able to boot into the installer, and I got that working now, we can consider this thread closed. I will deal with my issues above by following other guides.

Will mark as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back