Contribute
Register

Replacing my burnt out 5870 with a 560 ti 448...can't get a proper boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Maximus VII Impact
CPU
i5-4690k
Graphics
Gigabyte 4GB 970GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've done a couple hack builds before, so not a total noob, but this is the first time I've ever upgraded/replaced a gpu on an existing build. I think switching families from and to nvidia is likely to blame.

The immediate problem is that I am hanging at boot on our dear friend "PCI configuration begin"

I can actually boot to a unibeast installer using npci=0x2000 but trying to use that string on my existing 10.7.4 disk from the boot menu leaves me again at pci config begin. I've tried booting with graphics enabler off, safe, and single user. No dice All I want to be able to do is boot to desktop once so I can run multibeast. Worst case scenario I can nuke the drive and restore a backup, but that's a pain in the ass if there's another way.

Because I can get the installer to launch if I chose the USB at the chimera boot menu I suspect there must be something radeon specific installed which is screwing me when it comes to booting off my Lion install. I don't know what that might be though. I have a windows 7 drive booting fine, so I could go editing the OS X files using macdrive if someone could point me in the right direction.

Sorry if this reads like an illiterate, writing on my iPhone.

you tried booting with the installer and choosing the OS X icon to boot? can you get to desktop that way?
If you have "use kernel cache=yes" turned on, you need to boot -f to force ignore kernel cache on boot so it doesn't load AMD gfx. This might get you in with a different GPU.

I know this sounds simple but unibeast is automatically set to PCIRootUID=1, try PCIRootUID=0. If that works then add that your boot.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back