Contribute
Register

[READ ME FIRST!] Graphics Setup & Troubleshooting

Im on Sierra and I'm using a GTX970 (asus strix) and my main monitor works fine with an hdmi to hdmi cable at 1920x1080, which is its native resolution. However I can't get my second monitor to work, it's quite an old monitor with only VGA (LG E2240S 1920x1080 with a TN panel) Currently it is connected via DVI to VGA adapter and then a vga vga cable to the monitor. Works fine in windows, can this possibly work in macOS? I love the dual monitor setup, greatly increases my productivity. Could a different adapter work, for example DisplayPort to VGA? I have a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter already for my MacBook Pro retina 15" 2012 and that works on Sierra. Would it work with DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort and then connected a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter lol

Im on Sierra and I'm using a GTX970 (asus strix) and my main monitor works fine with an hdmi to hdmi cable at 1920x1080, which is its native resolution. However I can't get my second monitor to work, it's quite an old monitor with only VGA (LG E2240S 1920x1080 with a TN panel) Currently it is connected via DVI to VGA adapter and then a vga vga cable to the monitor. Works fine in windows, can this possibly work in macOS? I love the dual monitor setup, greatly increases my productivity. Could a different adapter work, for example DisplayPort to VGA? I have a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter already for my MacBook Pro retina 15" 2012 and that works on Sierra. Would it work with DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort and then connected a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter lol
Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).

It is true that certain hardware configurations do indeed work but there are no hard and fast rules.

Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).

It is true that certain hardware configurations do indeed work but there are no hard and fast rules.
Ah that explains why. Makes sense though, since nearly all modern monitors have either HDMI or DP or USB C/Thunderbolt.

@ Florian, ah okay, I think i'll go look for a DP to VGA adapter then :)

Hi everybody,

I am looking for help because I still have trouble to fix HDMI & DP problem with my GTX 960 card with Sierra : only the 1 DVI port is working and not the others (HDMI and DP) but I need it to put a second monitor (HDMI or DP). I'am on sierra 10.12.1 with the last version of Nvidia webdrivers (works fine with one monitor) and config 14,2 on multibeast
I used the Nvidia Web driver, I edit the config.plist to disable the inject nvidia and put true at the nvidia webdriver. I edit also the flag in the boot arguments, enable the CSM Support and tried to plug the second monitor after complete boot but nothing worked. I tried several port & cable on each screen but still the same result, the DVI port is the only one working unfortnately.

Is there any known solution for that ?
I'am on sierra 10.12.1 with the last version of Nvidia webdrivers (works fine) and config 14,2 on multibeast.
I'll upload my config.plist on the attached file here of someone can have a look.

thx for helping.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 263

Well actually it has nothing to Apple. It is NVidia Web drivers that do not support VGA. I had Geforce 220 and used two monitors via VGA with it in Mavericks/Yosemite. After that I switched to GTX 950 and Web drivers and VGA (DVI-I) connections stopped working. After playing with it I found that if I connect one of the monitors via DVI-D and another monitor via DVI-I->VGA adapter then it works.
Unfortunately in Sierra this configuration doesn't work any more, the drivers seem to support digital connections only. OSX reboots right before getting to the login screen.

Hi All,
Because of problems with my current graphics card with MacOS Sierra I am considering the purchase of the GeForce GT 710 (GK208) model. After reading this guide I guess I'm a bit 'confused about which method should be used during installation:
1) using the NVIDIA drivers supplied by Apple (selecting InjectNvidia = No in Clover)?
or
2) using the so-called NVIDIA Web Drivers and enabling them using the method described here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
SardusX,
1. Yes, the GT 710 can use the default Apple drivers. No Injection is required.
2. Not needed.

Well actually it has nothing to Apple. It is NVidia Web drivers that do not support VGA. I had Geforce 220 and used two monitors via VGA with it in Mavericks/Yosemite. After that I switched to GTX 950 and Web drivers and VGA (DVI-I) connections stopped working. After playing with it I found that if I connect one of the monitors via DVI-D and another monitor via DVI-I->VGA adapter then it works.
Unfortunately in Sierra this configuration doesn't work any more, the drivers seem to support digital connections only. OSX reboots right before getting to the login screen.

I have a GTX 970 and run Sierra. I have two monitors. One connected via HDMI (works perfectly) and one connected via DVI-I VGA, which does not work and causes a bootloop. I bought a non-branded (from China) DP to VGA adapter and I was able to boot, however I could not get the monitor that was connected to the DP-VGA adapter to run on it's native (1080p) resolution, but could only get 800x600 and 1024x768. This is also the case in Windows 10. Whereas DVI-I to VGA allows me to run the native 1080p in Windows.

So my guess is that the adapter therefore is not capable of 1080p then.

Would this work http://www.gmb.nl/item.aspx?id=9034 ?
I've heard of Gembird but honestly no idea if its a good brand

From an OS X point of view, any active DP to VGA adapter should work. China-ware might have limited resolution or other issues, that's not uncommon. I'd just give it a try.

My only real advice on this topic is dumping VGA altogether. It's 2016, the time of 4K and beyond. ;)

Back