Contribute
Register

[READ ME FIRST!] Graphics Setup & Troubleshooting

Hi There

I am running 10.12.3 with a small monitor on mainboards DVI via HD4000 - but would like to run a 27" monitor with 2560x1440 (WQHD) on a Sapphire HD5750 graphic card (I remember I once made a firmware update, so it should be identical to HD5770).

"About this Mac" shows Intel HD graphics 4000 with 1536 MB.
System report lists (somehow, see below) both graphic cards, but only the HD4000 connected to a monitor; the other is listed as ATI Radeon HD 5450, manufacturer: ATI (0x1002), and ID: 0x68be (I have the same Dipsplayport connection as when starting my working Win7 from another starting disk, so the DP-cable should work).
Is there anything I should/could change to get both monitors working, or the HD5750 recognised with the monitor?

BTW, I use Clover 3766, legacy, Multibeast 7.0.1

Hi there!
I'm trying to install Sierra in my hackintosh. If I try it with the internal graphics (intel HD 530), it works fine. But if I try it with the R9 280X, a kernel panic occurs after restart. It supposed R9 280X is an OOB graphics card and MacOS is supporting it. I'm sure that I'm missing something in BIOS setup or bootloader setup, but I can't figure out...
I would appreciate some help.
MOBO: GA-Z170X-ULTRA GAMING
CPU: I7-6700K
GRAPHICS: XFX R9 280X and internal (Intel HD 530)

Last edited:
Having trouble with a new card:
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 3GT OC 3GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready ATX

The problems:

• Major flicker when booting up, when using Chrome
  • Takes forever to render an icon menu, like when clicking on launchpad icon or when clicking away from it.
  • Problems playing AVI files (error: your mac lacks quartz extreme acceleration, which is required for video output. it will still work, but much slower and with possibly unexpected results)
  • Here's a good example of what it looks like:

Noticed MSI brand is not listed on the compatible cards list, not sure if that's the problem. I'm also using an ASUS P7P55D-E PRO MOBO; not sure if that could be the problem since its specs say PCI Express 2.0 x16, and not 3.0.

Using the recommended web driver, adjusted p.list file to ensure web driver is loading. I'm running OS Sierra 10.12.5. Multibeast 9.1. Not sure what else I can try before returning the card for something else. All suggestions are most welcome. A little new to all this, still learning the ropes somewhat, but dedicated and no stranger to troubleshooting. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. -Thanks!!

Last edited:
Having trouble with a new card:
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 3GT OC 3GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready ATX

The problems:

• Major flicker when booting up, when using Chrome
  • Takes forever to render an icon menu, like when clicking on launchpad icon or when clicking away from it.
  • Problems playing AVI files (error: your mac lacks quartz extreme acceleration, which is required for video output. it will still work, but much slower and with possibly unexpected results)

Noticed MSI brand is not listed on the compatible cards list, not sure if that's the problem. I'm also using an ASUS P7P55D-E PRO MOBO; not sure if that could be the problem since its specs say PCI Express 2.0 x16, and not 3.0.

Using the recommended web driver, adjusted p.list file to ensure web driver is loading. I'm running OS Sierra 10.12.5. Multibeast 9.1. Not sure what else I can try before returning the card for something else. All suggestions are most welcome. A little new to all this, still learning the ropes somewhat, but dedicated and no stranger to troubleshooting. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. -Thanks!!

Installation procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - PEG as Primary
Use a digital connection - DVI or HDMI - VGA is not supported.
Boot with nv_disable=1
Install web drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics and no ig-platform-id
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link
May need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist

Installation procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - PEG as Primary
Use a digital connection - DVI or HDMI - VGA is not supported.
Boot with nv_disable=1
Install web drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics and no ig-platform-id
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link
May need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist

Thanks for the tips and prompt reply, Pilgrim!! Going to go through this list as soon as I get off work today. I know I've covered a couple of them, but not all--I'll double-check everything you've listed there and report back.

BTW, I am using the HDMI port on the graphics card, but I'm doing it with a VGA==>HDMI adapter; is that a problem? If so, I can pick up a native HDMI monitor if need be. -Thanks!

I am using the HDMI port on the graphics card, but I'm doing it with a VGA==>HDMI adapter; is that a problem? If so, I can pick up a native HDMI monitor if need be.
VGA is unsupported - Some configurations (with and without adaptors) do work but it is not possible for me to predict if your particular hardware will succeed.

OK. So looks like the card is loading correctly now. All the weird screen-glitching has gone away. Upon logging in everything looks great, but things are starting to drag now, as if the OS is struggling to keep up with basic tasks, like opening a menu. Seems to get worse as time passes. Behaving as if too many apps are open or something and it's running out of memory to keep up, but it's got 16GB of RAM so it can't be that. BTW, I'm using a native HDMI monitor now so any HDMI==>VGA adapter issues can be ruled out.

Not sure what next steps I should take to resolve this.

Guys, is it still the case that the Pascal cards are not supported on anything before 10.12.x? Unfortunately, Sierra is just not working out for me (too many issues, with sleep, usb, slow-downs, audio). Want to stick with 10.11.x for now but I currently have a Pascal card. -Thanks.

:banghead:

Back