Contribute
Register

[READ ME FIRST!] Graphics Setup & Troubleshooting

From an OS X point of view, any active DP to VGA adapter should work. China-ware might have limited resolution or other issues, that's not uncommon. I'd just give it a try.

My only real advice on this topic is dumping VGA altogether. It's 2016, the time of 4K and beyond. ;)

Right there with you, I've been looking at 4K monitors, but having 27" + 21" 1080p gives me more versatility. A few 4K monitors are affordable, however lack ports and/or height adjustment and lack 99% sRGB. If only the LG27UD88W was a bit cheaper, that one is beautiful.

Hi All!
I have a problem with my GTX970
It gives low fps in games and benchs
Cinebench R15 shows 43fps, but should be more then 100 acording to this chart
I'm using MacPro 5.1
Switching to MacPro 6.1 or iMac's drops fps to 25!
I'm on 10.12.2 now with lastest Nvidia Web
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Processor: i7 930
Any suggestions? :)

Hi All!
I have a problem with my GTX970
It gives low fps in games and benchs
Cinebench R15 shows 43fps, but should be more then 100 acording to this chart
I'm using MacPro 5.1
Switching to MacPro 6.1 or iMac's drops fps to 25!
I'm on 10.12.2 now with lastest Nvidia Web
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Processor: i7 930
Any suggestions? :)

That seems very low indeed. Does it properly detect your GTX 970?

I'm running a GTX 970 and my Cinebench R15 scores 120.71 FPS in OpenGL.
I'm on iMac 14.1 and Sierra 12.0.0

SardusX,
1. Yes, the GT 710 can use the default Apple drivers. No Injection is required.
2. Not needed.

Sorry, I don't know whether it is necessary to open a specific discussion, however:
I replaced the graphics card with a new MSi GeForce GT 710 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_series) and eliminated the settings related to the previous card in the Config.plist file, but the boot process stops with a spontaneous restart. Using "nv_disable = 1" I could complete the boot process in a “safe mode”. After reading a lot of discussions about I tried changing system definition (using iMac 14.2 instead of iMac 10,1) or by adding the boot options npci=0x3000, npci=0x2000, PCIRootUID=1, without caches, but without solving the problem.

Should I install the Nvidia web drivers or do I think there is some other kind of solution?

ASUS P5G41T-M LX, BIOS Rev. 0803
INTEL Core 2 Duo E8600
MSi Nvidia Geforce GT 710 2gb
OS X 10.11.6 EL CAPITAN/Clover Legacy (no custom DSDT-SSDT)/SysDef iMac 10,1/Dual Boot Windows 10 (separate hard drive)

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help or advice
Happy New Year :)

Edit: At the moment still are not able to activate the Nvidia Apple OS X stock drivers in any way but by installing the Nvidia web driver (346.03.15f02 version for OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 15G31) and adding nvda_drv = 1 in the Config.plist file (with Clover Configurator) everything seems to work fine (with both 10,1-14,2 Sysdef).

All's well that ends well :)

Last edited:
No DVI display. After updating to Sierra 10.2.3 I rebooted my computer. Then only my HDMI large screen display is seen by my computer which does not recognize my DVI monitor. The display mirroring menu is available but only shows these:Connected Projector Samsung(greyed out), Open Display Preferences and Open Projector Calibrator. The DVI monitor does not show in the Display Preferences. If I unplug the HDMI cable and I reboot the computer I do not get any video on the DVI monitor. The web drivers are up to date.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Nvidia GTX 950 2047MB

Hey guys,

I am stuck with something and need some input from y'all.

I tried to manually overclock the refresh rate of my monitor. In Windows, I overclocked it till 75Hz and it worked fine. Later I booted into OSX and tried to do the same using some screenx setup utility.

I accidentally saved 75Hz as the boot refresh rate and now I cannot even boot into OSX. After apple boot logo, it simply defaults to a black screen and the monitor displays 'out of range' error. I use a gtx 970 and tried booting by disabling the nvidia drivers using nv_disable=1 bootflag but it didnt work. I tried to remove my gtx 970 and boot using the integrated graphics but that is of no use as clover is not even loading without htx 970 :(

I am so stuck. Please help me.....Safe mode also didnt work. Goes right back to out of range error :(

I am on Sierra 10.12.2 version.

Last edited:
May I suggest to add a note about the passive VGA adapter issues in the first post of this thread? Thanks!

Hi all,

I've just finished building my first Hackintosh, and everything has gone surprisingly well. Followed the CustoMac Pro guidelines on this site, and everything went pretty smooth. I've deviated from the Customac Pro build description by opting for a Nvidia 980Ti card, and that has now been causing some problems. I've been using the Hackintosh for a couple of days now, and been busy installing programs etc. and doing some light work on it, but it wasn't until today that I noticed this weird behaviour where there's a lot of flicker and laggy mouse behaviour - Google Chrome seems to be the worst program, it isn't nearly as noticeable in Safari, and almost not a problem at all in the Finder, except if dragging windows very quickly around on the screen. It's really weird that the Hackintosh has been playing along so well and I haven't noticed anything up until now. Makes me wonder if I've been really using the Intel graphics card integrated on the mobo up until now, and the problems have been appearing after I've enabled the Nvidia graphics. My working theory is that I thought I had the Nvidia drivers working a day ago, but they hadn't really kicked in yet, and then a restart today enabled them, together with the issues I've been seeing today. I've been reading up on this thread and think I have covered the basics, and the Nvidia web driver is checked in the menu bar, and intel inject is disabled. I have read some reports about older monitors with DVI-cables not playing nice with 980Ti cards - so I'm kind of wondering/hoping that that might be the issue, as my monitor is a pretty old Eizo CG241W connected through a DVI-D single link cable. If it's simply a hardware issue, then at least I can solve it by throwing more money at the problem :p instead of spending more time looking for config issues. But any clues/insight would be much appreciated!

Edit: I'm running out of ideas so I've made a separate thread at the link below with more info in the hope that someone may contribute some advice:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/display-issues-with-980ti-card-on-sierra.217543/#post-1462275

Last edited:
Hi, I have new Hackintosh on Kaby Lake with Intel HD630 graphics only (No video card).

It looks like OpenGL is disabled (Or not compatible). After Effects do not see OpenGL (But my MacBook with Intel HD 4000 have OpenGL). Do you know how to enable it? Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 13.06.19.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 13.08.10.png

Back