Contribute
Register

[READ ME FIRST!] Graphics Setup & Troubleshooting

Hello everyone! I was wondering if some smart person could please help me!

I am trying to get the nvidia drivers to load automatically. I tried clover configurator to add the checkmark 'nvda_drv=1' but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I see two 'config.list's: one on HDD and one on USB. I need direction, thank you so much!

El Capitan install goes smoothly with latest Uni/Multibeast installations for Clover UEFI boot settings...as long as InjectNVIDIA setting is enabled.

I'm having a problem with second (HDMI) display with the GeForce 210 card though; I've read the troubleshooting guides which recommend turning InjectNVIDIA setting off, but then it won't boot.

It seems that the HDMI screen doesn't support the resolution from the card. I just found something regarding PixelClock fix and will try that.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

How do you currently test for QE/CI?

At a mod's suggestion I'm moving this question here from my separate thread:

After installation of El Capitan, I got to the part where the gui was supposed to start, but instead I got a spinning circle on a black screen, a second of the mouse in the upper corner, then the spinning circle again. I booted into safe mode and the system was at the proper resolution, but every time I scrolled or clicked it redrew instead of moving smoothly. I couldn't find any other answers to my problem and decided to try the NVIDIA Web drivers for 10.11.3. After reboot I was able to reach the login screen with a normal login, but the NVIDIA driver thinks my ASUS PB278Q monitor is a TV and restricts it to 1080p. Under Yosemite it was correctly detected as 2560x1440, but in El Cap it's 1080p stretched to fit the screen (overscan was on by default).

I've tried multiple things to fix the graphics problem, but I'm back to using NVIDIA web drivers and 1080p resolution. If I boot to safe mode I get 2560x1440, but not in normal mode. Some of the things I tried that didn't help:

1) Switching to OS X Default Graphics Driver - when I reboot I get back to where I was. From the text size it seems to be trying to show the login screen at 2560x1440, but it keeps showing me the text of mounting the Time Machine partition (in a verbose boot), then going black with the mouse, then back to the Time Machine partition lines. If I boot normally it will either fail completely with the circle/slash symbol or get to the GUI part and go back and forth between the spinning circle and the black screen with the mouse. I left it there for 2 hours and it was still cycling. The only way I was able to get out was to boot to safe mode and reinstall the NVIDIA Web drivers, bringing me right back to 1080p.

2) Changing SMBIOS from 3,1 to 14,2. No effect.

3) Upgrading to 10.11.4, which also entailed finding the beta NVIDIA drivers in this post:OS X 10.11.4 Update. I also had to change from OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi to OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi. No change from what I reported above. NVIDIA works at the wrong resolution, no NVIDIA results in an endless loop.

I've read this thread, and here's what else I have to say:

According to the chart linked from this post, my 0x0fc8 card should work with or without NVIDIA drivers, with injection off. I just went through the combinations anyway to see if anything helped, and nothing did. With no injection and OS X drivers, OS X thinks it's a 1280x1024 projector, and the screen redraws instead of scrolling. With OS X and injection, it reboots. With NVIDIA web drivers and injection, it reboots. With web drivers and no injection, my monitor is detected as a 1080p TV and it seems to look fine except the resolution is wrong (ie, the screen actually scrolls when I scroll instead of visibly redrawing).

In safe mode, the display is detected at the proper 2560x1440 resolution, but as I mentioned the screen redraws when I scroll and move around. I wish I knew the proper term for that, but that's how it looks. I'm trying everything I can to find the proper combination that allows 2560x1440 and a normal boot. The fact that it detects it fine in safe mode means something is loaded in normal mode that makes the computer think my monitor is a TV. I wish I could figure out what...

I had the exact problem you're describing. In order to even be able to get to the point where you can install the web drivers, you need to first get past this lower level issue. To do that, trust me, you simply need to add, "nv_disable=1" to your Clover boot args. Then you WILL get past this and be able to then install the web drivers. :) If you've already gotten past this, maybe this will serve to help others who stumble on this.

Hi Community!

I a newbie to this hackintosh venture and I am novice / intermediate with some technical terminology and I'm seeking some assistance on a the final hiccup in my El Capitan hackintosh install. I used UniBeast (Legacy) to create my bootable OS X along with MultiBeast. My first roadblock came when the initializing Apple logo would load halfway then cut off. I then tried inputting nv_disable=1 in the boot agru in clover options. The system would final load to complete install and run MultiBeast.
Once I got my network drivers installed I went to the Nvidia website to install the Nvidia Web Driver and installed to the OS. Once the install was complete my system rebooted and it would not boot properly, with out me putting in the nv-disable=1 bootagru. Can someone walk me to how to configure my Nvidia Quadro 600 to properly boot without me putting in the bootagru every time I attempt to boot my new system. The nvidia driver is installed on the system, but after every restart it reset itself.
Hi. Did you ever resolve this? Right now I have what appears to be the same issue, only I'm using a GT 740 SC. I can never boot without the nv_disable=1 and obviously if I have to use that arg, it's not going to see the card when I boot and that's evident in the nvidia web driver as it shows no vid cards in any slot. Again, I'd expect that given the arg disables it, but swapping that arg for nvda_dev=1 to enable the card, doesn't enable me to boot. Just a black screen after the loading screen.

Hey guys,

How do you currently test for QE/CI?

The easiest way to tell is to look at the screen when it is going from the login to the desktop. If you don't have QE/CI you will see lots of banding, it is very obvious.

Back