Contribute
Register

PowerMac G5 Case Modding Project - mATX & ATX Conversion - Barebones - Mac Pro Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just re-read this thread and enjoyed the photos. Thank you for sharing your project(s) and I must say you have out done most of us by 20 plus systems.

Thank you,
neil

Just wow! I just stumpled across your thread and the built having bought 2 G5 Cases myself yesterday and looking for inspiration and solutions. The PSU idea is awesome. Not touching the back panel is exactly what I would like to do. Is there any chance to have a look on your built? Located near MUC.

Just wow! I just stumpled across your thread and the built having bought 2 G5 Cases myself yesterday and looking for inspiration and solutions. The PSU idea is awesome. Not touching the back panel is exactly what I would like to do. Is there any chance to have a look on your built? Located near MUC.
Thanks.

Yes, Its possible to look at two builds (one in progress) and two modded cases with radiator, PSU, etc in it.
MUC = München?
Ich wohne in Konstanz am Bodensee

Yes. Muc is München. I have family in Bregenz and go there frequently. That would be great. Can you message me here? I read a lot about cables, the psu, spray painting the case, etc. But of course it would be even better to see that in reality. My cases are overall in a good shape with some dents and scratches though.

Yes. Muc is München. I have family in Bregenz and go there frequently. That would be great. Can you message me here? I read a lot about cables, the psu, spray painting the case, etc. But of course it would be even better to see that in reality. My cases are overall in a good shape with some dents and scratches though.

See if you can gather the top secret info on the connector cables being used for the SuperMicro/ATX combo. I'd prefer to go down that route if I knew which cabling to buy for it.

See if you can gather the top secret info on the connector cables being used for the SuperMicro/ATX combo. I'd prefer to go down that route if I knew which cabling to buy for it.

I would have loved to and share it but unfortunately there is no way to contact wise-rice (aside from collecting 75 posts first) and do some sort of user-meeting. Anyway, I will find out myself and post here ...

Last edited:
I would have loved to and share it but unfortunately there is no way to contact wise-rice (aside from collecting 75 posts first) and do some sort of user-meeting. Anyway, I will find out myself and post here ...
Any luck with those cable specs? (wise-rise?) . I'm fully going for it, but am waiting for receipt of the server PSU and atx mobo before trying to find the conversion cables. Its my very first build, but have been so inspired by this thread: e.g. Leaving the PSU unit in place and minimal cutting... So far I'm uncommitted to cutting anything. I saw someone used the OG connections and soldered connections into the connectors that way.. but i'm no solder whiz.

Any luck with those cable specs? (wise-rise?) . I'm fully going for it, but am waiting for receipt of the server PSU and atx mobo before trying to find the conversion cables. Its my very first build, but have been so inspired by this thread: e.g. Leaving the PSU unit in place and minimal cutting... So far I'm uncommitted to cutting anything. I saw someone used the OG connections and soldered connections into the connectors that way.. but i'm no solder whiz.

I decided to not use the Supermicro PSU but a platinum rated Seasonic ATX PSU because of price and oob atx compatibility. The adapter cables would have added an extra on top and honestly absolute convenience in sourcing was a reason too. OF course there is a polish ebay seller selling these Supermicro PSUs relatively cheap as "refurbished" and Ali-Express got all the cables but you know ... convenience .... :D

There is so much space in this case you got several placing options. An ATX PSU can be fitted in the bottom part too with a rectangular cut out in the upper plate of the PSU housing. There is several builds out there showing it. The seasonic focus 650w is a clear recommendation. Its absolutely silent. Fan did not rotate once even when running benchmarks.

Yet the slickest way is for sure using the Supermicro PSU and fitting it in the original housing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back