Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a Chinese guy who managed to get the Intel 600P NVME SSD working with Sierra.

He posted screenshots on his facebook

Can anyone with a 600p support his claim?

There's a Chinese guy who managed to get the Intel 600P NVME SSD working with Sierra.

He posted screenshots on his facebook

Can anyone with a 600p support his claim?
I would like to know this aswell, ore interested in el captian though.
GenericNVMe works, both you will get the shutdown-bugs if used as boot-drive.

El Capitan: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data-for-el-capitan/

Sierra: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data/

Note that both of these solutions require IONVFamily.kext to be present and loaded in order to work.

In risk of being a total retard and ask stupid questions i will try to get my head straight and read up on what the IONVFamily is and what Pike's patch is about before asking more questions.
I will be back when i understand.

Thanks for getting me in the right direction! Ill post again when i have the knowledge.

In risk of being a total retard and ask stupid questions i will try to get my head straight and read up on what the IONVFamily is and what Pike's patch is about before asking more questions.
I will be back when i understand.

Thanks for getting me in the right direction! Ill post again when i have the knowledge.

IONMFamily.kext is the driver that MacOS uses to control your M.2 device. Without it, it can't be used. Apple made such driver so that it can ONLY control an Apple M.2 device, therefore we need to edit it, so that it can control many more devices. This is what both Pike's patch and Rehabman's hacked kext do. However Pike's patch should persist through point updates. At least it did with 10.11 throughout and with 10.12 > 10.12.1 whereas Rehabman's hacked kext will crash your system every time you load a point update, because it cannot coexist with... Itself, meaning it cannot coexist with IONVFamily.kext.

As much as I appreciate Rehabman's great work, this one is botched and useless for whoever wants a Mac-like experience of update and go.

IONMFamily.kext is the driver that MacOS uses to control your M.2 device. Without it, it can't be used. Apple made such driver so that it can ONLY control an Apple M.2 device, therefore we need to edit it, so that it can control many more devices. This is what both Pike's patch and Rehabman's hacked kext do. However Pike's patch should persist through point updates. At least it did with 10.11 throughout and with 10.12 > 10.12.1 whereas Rehabman's hacked kext will crash your system every time you load a point update, because it cannot coexist with... Itself, meaning it cannot coexist with IONVFamily.kext.

As much as I appreciate Rehabman's great work, this one is botched and useless for whoever wants a Mac-like experience of update and go.

Which brand/version NVME M.2 SSD is the most easiest and compatible. I haven't seen success stories with the M.2 SM961 NVME SSD. Which is a very attractive one.

Which brand/version NVME M.2 SSD is the most easiest and compatible. I haven't seen success stories with the M.2 SM961 NVME SSD. Which is a very attractive one.

I don't know about other models, but my 950 PRO runs like a boss.

Big thanks, ive know read up on kexttopatch. I did add Pikes code to my Config.Plist with modified PCI vendor and device-id.
Without look though.
Do you mind to have a look at my config.plist to see if i installed it correctly?

PCI Vendor/device-id:
pci8086,F1A5

Base64 code:
PHN0cmluZz5wY2k4MDg2LEYxQTU8L3N0cmluZz4=

EDIT:
This is grabbed from my IOREG:
<"pci8086,390a", "pci8086,f1a5", "pciclass,010802", "PXSX">

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    139.8 KB · Views: 99
  • config.plist
    11.8 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
@MadMac1969 just to clarify before I pull the trigger on a 600p ssd, according to pikes blog, just copying some line of code into the config.plist and copying IONMFamily.kext to efi ( bootable usb first, then ssd boot disk later) is enough ?

Last edited:
@MadMac1969 just to clarify before I pull the trigger on a 600p ssd, according to pikes blog, just copying some line of code into the config.plist and copying IONMFamily.kext to efi ( bootable isb first, then boot disk later) is enough
Im really struggling to get my 600p ssd to work with anything other then GenericNVMe. Im considering to return it on buyback and get a Samsung 950 instead. Even if its x2 the price (and speed tbh)

There is a taiwanese person who were able to get the 600p up and running with pike's patch. I am currently having a
conversation with him to see if he can shade some light on it.
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 09.56.10.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back