Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Apple now having adopted NVMe storage in their latest MacBooks, could this mean that we might have better support (i.e. OOB) for MVMe storage on motherboards with appropriate chipsets and using compatible NVMe modules (i.e. Intel made Optane) ?

With Apple now having adopted NVMe storage in their latest MacBooks, could this mean that we might have better support (i.e. OOB) for MVMe storage on motherboards with appropriate chipsets and using compatible NVMe modules (i.e. Intel made Optane) ?
No, Apple uses a modified version of the NVMe standard in order to keep people from buying 3rd party NVMe SSD blades.

IONMFamily.kext is the driver that MacOS uses to control your M.2 device. Without it, it can't be used. Apple made such driver so that it can ONLY control an Apple M.2 device, therefore we need to edit it, so that it can control many more devices. This is what both Pike's patch and Rehabman's hacked kext do. However Pike's patch should persist through point updates. At least it did with 10.11 throughout and with 10.12 > 10.12.1 whereas Rehabman's hacked kext will crash your system every time you load a point update, because it cannot coexist with... Itself, meaning it cannot coexist with IONVFamily.kext.

As much as I appreciate Rehabman's great work, this one is botched and useless for whoever wants a Mac-like experience of update and go.

You should read the HackrNMVeFamily README. Carefully.

The problem with using hotpatching in this case is the clear danger of a partial patch, which will result in data corruption.

Hi all, i installed OCZ Toshiba RD400A Series 512GB today. Tested it in m.2 slot and in PCIe slot with original PCIe m.2 adapter. Works as boot drive without problems.
Im using kext generated by Micky's NVMeP 2.5. and I leave IONVMeFamily.kext in S/L/E.
Speed is quite good. Before i try Intel 750 Series and cant go more than 800MB/sec.
Tested on 10.12.1 (16B2657).

AJA-Toshiba-RD400.png

Hi all, i installed OCZ Toshiba RD400A Series 512GB today. Tested it in m.2 slot and in PCIe slot with original PCIe m.2 adapter. Works as boot drive without problems.
Im using kext generated by Micky's NVMeP 2.5. and I leave IONVMeFamily.kext in S/L/E.
Speed is quite good. Before i try Intel 750 Series and cant go more than 800MB/sec.
Tested on 10.12.1 (16B2657).

View attachment 219943
Do you mind showing me where i can take a look at that kext?

Oh, i tried that one out the other day. But i could seem to get the commands right.
Im pretty new to this type of using the terminal while patching things and Hackintosh overall.

Do you mind explain how you did use it?

At first you need build NVMeP binary via Xcode. On Micky's repository its not builded. You can download Xcode via App Store.
Second you must in Terminal "cd" to folder where you have put NVMeP binary.
Easy way to do this, is open Terminal, type "cd" and drag&drop folder where you put NVMeP to that Terminal window. Press Enter key.
At last you type "./NVMeP -i" and press Enter.
It will create two files in that folder - kext and patches for Clover. Use only one method, kext or patches.

Here how it looks in Terminal, when you have NVMeP binary in folder "NVMeP-2-6" on Desktop:
Last login: Thu Nov 10 22:42:35 on ttys001
Johns-MBP:~ username$ cd /Users/username/Desktop/NVMeP-2-6
Johns-MBP:NVMeP-2-6 username$ ./NVMeP -i

Last edited:
Oh, i tried that one out the other day. But i could seem to get the commands right.
Im pretty new to this type of using the terminal while patching things and Hackintosh overall.

Do you mind explain how you did use it?

To be entirely honest with you - I think you're wasting your time. Your (great) Intel SSD is not what the "developers" have tested so far, and its support is sketchy at best. Apple uses Samsung chipsets very similar to those used on the 9** series, therefore that would be your best bet of getting a well performing, bootable and tested solution.

I'm preparing fresh install of 10.12.1 and decided to go with less risky RehabMan's nvme patch. So, after reading a lot, these are the steps I should do? Please correct where I'm wrong:

1. Put Pike's patches into Clover's config.plist KextsToPatch so I can see SSD (do I need to put also IONVMeFamily.kext into kexts/others/?) .
2. After installation I need to replace IONVMeFamily.kext 10.12.1 with one from 10.12.0 since RehabMan's nvme patch patches the latter.
3. After patching put HackrNVMeFamily.kext into S/L/E and Clover's kexts/others.
4. Remove IONVMeFamily.kext from S/L/E and Pike's patches from Clover's config.plist

If that is correct I would need IONVMeFamily.kext 10.12.0 however I could only find IONVMeFamily.kext from Skylake. Can anyone help with IONVMeFamily.kext from Sierra? Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back