Contribute
Register

No EFI Partition???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what should I do if I want to preserve Windows but also have Mojave?

You can install Windows in UEFI mode.
or
You can change the boot mode in your BIOS settings each time that you want to boot a different operating system.
or
You can install Mojave in Legacy mode but that may give you more problems.

Better go with reinstalling, I will just make a backup of my stuff and try again. Hats off to you, man! I have no idea why I installed Windows in legacy means, though...

So, let's say we got that sorted. I also have an issue with Intel HD Graphics, I tried everything I could scour in the internet (most of them are the same), so what can I do with that?

I'm trying to install Clover on my new Mojave install, but it fails. the place where Mojave is installed on is NOT inside a boot disk, really. It is located in a SECONDARY drive since I want to preserve my Windows install on my faster SSD. Since the secondary drive is not a boot drive, then it doesn't have an EFI partition. How do I... FABRICATE... one!? I don't even know anymore...

@Renginald,

EFI partition is created when you format a drive with the GUID partition scheme, It does not matter if it's not a boot drive any and all GUID formatted drives will have a EFI Partition.

If you have no GUID formatted drives then you will have no EFI partition.

You have a few options :-

1. You could convert the windows drive to GUID (search the internet there are many guides) which will then create a EFI partition and then make Windows use UEFI for booting .... this has the advantage of that you will easily be able to boot windows and macOS from clover using UEFI. You can then install Clover to the EFI partition on the Windows drive. If you choose this option be sure to make the EFI partition at least 200MB as some guides only make it 100MB.

2. If you have a spare/unused external backup drive then you could format it as a GUID drive and clone your existing install to it using Carbon Copy Cloner, then boot from the MacOS installer and use Disk Utility (top menu - utilities) to reformat the secondary drive as GUID, then use your Clover USB to boot from the clone backup and re clone the backup to the secondary drive and install Clover on the the Secondary drives EFI Partition.

3. Re install MacOS but make sure to first use Disk Utility (top menu - utilities) to reformat the drive as GUID which will create the EFI partition.

Cheers
Jay

I will just make a backup of my stuff and try again
The "sticky" guides in Multi Booting may help you.

I also have an issue with Intel HD Graphics, I tried everything I could scour in the internet (most of them are the same), so what can I do with that?
Best to cross your bridges when you come to them, fix one thing at a time.
Use the forum Search tool, there may well be a guide for hardware similar to your own.

Thanks for all the help, I will keep this thread open for progress' sake (in case I will fall into another hole).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back