Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI H370 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 Mac Pro and upgraded it to 5,1 firmware and Sierra 10.12.6. For the sake of those who find specs helpful in isolating the problem, it's the 2.66Ghz 8-core, 24GB RAM, Booting from an OWC SSD drive in a PCIe slot. I also put in it a Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card which has been working like a champ the since I got it (after I finally figured out the proper drivers).

However, the other day I picked up a second screen and I can not get the card to output to it through the DVI-I port on the card. I know that the screen and cable are good because if I boot into Windows Bootcamp, both screens will run side by side like normal. Since we know it's not the screen, cable, port, or graphics card itself, my guess is it has to be some firmware, driver, or setting on the mac side. To make matters more interesting though, whenever I plug in the DVI (with the other working HDMI or even by itself) the computer will freeze up and shut down after a few seconds (or not start at all if I'm starting with it off). The report when it wakes up (and I have only the HDMI in so I can see) is a Kernal Panic and CPU caller # with changing numbers each time. HDMI screen also will never display while the DVI is plugged in (probably cause it keeps freezing).

Anybody have any thoughts on why I can't output to the DVI port on the Mac side? I do have the most recent drivers, I've checked a dozen times. Thanks in advance.

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 Mac Pro and upgraded it to 5,1 firmware and Sierra 10.12.6. For the sake of those who find specs helpful in isolating the problem, it's the 2.66Ghz 8-core, 24GB RAM, Booting from an OWC SSD drive in a PCIe slot. I also put in it a Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card which has been working like a champ the since I got it (after I finally figured out the proper drivers).

However, the other day I picked up a second screen and I can not get the card to output to it through the DVI-I port on the card. I know that the screen and cable are good because if I boot into Windows Bootcamp, both screens will run side by side like normal. Since we know it's not the screen, cable, port, or graphics card itself, my guess is it has to be some firmware, driver, or setting on the mac side. To make matters more interesting though, whenever I plug in the DVI (with the other working HDMI or even by itself) the computer will freeze up and shut down after a few seconds (or not start at all if I'm starting with it off). The report when it wakes up (and I have only the HDMI in so I can see) is a Kernal Panic and CPU caller # with changing numbers each time. HDMI screen also will never display while the DVI is plugged in (probably cause it keeps freezing).

Anybody have any thoughts on why I can't output to the DVI port on the Mac side? I do have the most recent drivers, I've checked a dozen times. Thanks in advance.
You may have come to the wrong place as this is a site devoted to installing Apple operating systems onto PC hardware.
Your questions may be better addressed to macvidcards.com or similar.

You may have come to the wrong place as this is a site devoted to installing Apple operating systems onto PC hardware.
Your questions may be better addressed to macvidcards.com or similar.

Oh, my bad, I was thinking this covered a lot of hackintosh hardware as well cause I'd used so many threads from here in my own research. Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks, I put a post on there too this morning.
I saw. Your GTX 960 will need an EFI add-on to the VBIOS. I have had several PC graphics cards updated with the EFI compatible VBIOS using MacVidCards.com services. Saved me a bunch of time and "pain." The GTX 960 needs the EFI VBIOS update to take advance of the other ports and to use the Mac Pro's PCI 2.0 speeds. The card w/o the EFI VBIOS will operate only PCI 1.0 speeds and just one port.

I saw. Your GTX 960 will need an EFI add-on to the VBIOS. I have had several PC graphics cards updated with the EFI compatible VBIOS using MacVidCards.com services. Saved me a bunch of time and "pain." The GTX 960 needs the EFI VBIOS update to take advance of the other ports and to use the Mac Pro's PCI 2.0 speeds. The card w/o the EFI VBIOS will operate only PCI 1.0 speeds and just one port.

Oh thank you. So basically need a card flashed with the EFI VBIOS. Great, thanks so much, that's good progress for me

So after digging some more with the new enlightenment, I saw some people saying that if the card is on my x16 lane port, that the speeds should be equivalent to PCI 2.0 speeds.
Furthermore, I realized that doesn't really explain why I can't boot just the DVI screen by itself. Even a PCI 1.0 should boot 1 screen.
Any further thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back