Intel i7 4770k - Haswell
Graphics
Gigabyte Windforce Nvidia GTX 780 3GB / Intel Iris 4600
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I successfully installed OS X on to a new 250gb ssd. After making sure hdmi audio worked and such I decided to plug in my windows ssd and see if it works. When I turn on my computer the clover/tonymacx86 uefi comes up and asks me to select boot drive.

It shows legacy 1 windows, legacy 2 windows, and OS X hfs. If i select hfs it boots fine but if i select either windows it doesn't load. Now if I hold down f12 for my gigabyte mobo (z87nwifi) it allows me to boot from my samsung ssd with windows installed and works fine.

I guess my questions are finicky but I would like the initial load screen without holding down f12 to allow me to boot windows from the clover screen. Also I don't have 2 ssds for windows just 1 but it gives 2 options. When i boot into OS X it shows my system reserved drive and an untitled drive which houses my windows install. (They are just 1 drive I'm guessing its a weird partition deal with windows). I am curious if in OS X i can make these drives hidden or rename them without screwing anything up. I know I can eject them but it would be nice if when i load into OS X they just don't show up? maybe I am just being too picky.

Ultimately the initial boot issue is the one i want resolved the most. Would be really happy if I could boot windows from the clover/tonymac screen with only drive showing up instead of the weird partition named legacy1/2.

Thanks for all help !!
PS> can you edit the theme for the clover startup ? graphically?

Hello,

I successfully installed OS X on to a new 250gb ssd. After making sure hdmi audio worked and such I decided to plug in my windows ssd and see if it works. When I turn on my computer the clover/tonymacx86 uefi comes up and asks me to select boot drive.

It shows legacy 1 windows, legacy 2 windows, and OS X hfs. If i select hfs it boots fine but if i select either windows it doesn't load. Now if I hold down f12 for my gigabyte mobo (z87nwifi) it allows me to boot from my samsung ssd with windows installed and works fine.

I guess my questions are finicky but I would like the initial load screen without holding down f12 to allow me to boot windows from the clover screen. Also I don't have 2 ssds for windows just 1 but it gives 2 options. When i boot into OS X it shows my system reserved drive and an untitled drive which houses my windows install. (They are just 1 drive I'm guessing its a weird partition deal with windows). I am curious if in OS X i can make these drives hidden or rename them without screwing anything up. I know I can eject them but it would be nice if when i load into OS X they just don't show up? maybe I am just being too picky.

Ultimately the initial boot issue is the one i want resolved the most. Would be really happy if I could boot windows from the clover/tonymac screen with only drive showing up instead of the weird partition named legacy1/2.

Thanks for all help !!
PS> can you edit the theme for the clover startup ? graphically?
The reason you are getting this is because Win8 is installed Legacy mode. Clover will not boot Windows Legacy Mode - you have to have it installed UEFI if you want Clover installed UEFI to boot it.
To resolve this problem you have 2 choices:
1. Re-install Win8 in UEFI mode (may require BIOS update to support UEFI)
2. Mount the EFI partition of the OS X drive and delete the EFI folder created there by Clover. Run the Clover installer again and select allow it to install Legacy Mode (this is default mode for Clover the first time you run it - just make sure the UEFI and install Clover in the ESP are not checked).

If you decide to install Clover Legacy mode you can hide the extra Legacy Win8 partition with Clover Configurator.

The reason you are getting this is because Win8 is installed Legacy mode. Clover will not boot Windows Legacy Mode - you have to have it installed UEFI if you want Clover installed UEFI to boot it.
To resolve this problem you have 2 choices:
1. Re-install Win8 in UEFI mode (may require BIOS update to support UEFI)
2. Mount the EFI partition of the OS X drive and delete the EFI folder created there by Clover. Run the Clover installer again and select allow it to install Legacy Mode (this is default mode for Clover the first time you run it - just make sure the UEFI and install Clover in the ESP are not checked).

If you decide to install Clover Legacy mode you can hide the extra Legacy Win8 partition with Clover Configurator.

Thanks for the reply man ! So if I do install clover in legacy mode will it downgrade the res in which clover operates? Its currently at 1920x1080 which took me a while to do. Oddly enough I was pretty sure my windows install was UEFI but I suppose not. When I goto BIOS it shows 2 refi entries (not named just efi) and then a OS X drive.

Thanks for the reply man ! So if I do install clover in legacy mode will it downgrade the res in which clover operates? Its currently at 1920x1080 which took me a while to do. Oddly enough I was pretty sure my windows install was UEFI but I suppose not. When I goto BIOS it shows 2 refi entries (not named just efi) and then a OS X drive.
One way to tell for sure - boot Win8, click start, click run and enter msinfo32
The resulting screen will tell you if your are in UEFI mode or not.

Herm, strange day with computer. Okay so you are indeed right about my windows install being legacy because in order to get my startup screen to be high res I had to do UEFI only in bios, and after reading your post I rebooted to start into windows and even my gigabyte bios is no longer giving me the option to boot up windows. The drive with my windows data still shows up in OS X; Argh, guess i gotta reinstall which sounds awful; worry about later.

In other news upon restarting my computer my new 2TB WD drive had the windows pop up asking me to initialize it, and the data on it is gone. Should I be worried this drive is faulty? I ran a first aid through disk utility and nothing popped up. Or is this just a random joy of hackint0sh deleting my data on my drive lol.

Herm, strange day with computer. Okay so you are indeed right about my windows install being legacy because in order to get my startup screen to be high res I had to do UEFI only in bios, and after reading your post I rebooted to start into windows and even my gigabyte bios is no longer giving me the option to boot up windows. The drive with my windows data still shows up in OS X; Argh, guess i gotta reinstall which sounds awful; worry about later.

In other news upon restarting my computer my new 2TB WD drive had the windows pop up asking me to initialize it, and the data on it is gone. Should I be worried this drive is faulty? I ran a first aid through disk utility and nothing popped up. Or is this just a random joy of hackint0sh deleting my data on my drive lol.
Was the drive formatted for OS X? Windows wants to initialize any drive it cannot read.

Ya it was journaled along with guid p map.

Ya it was journaled along with guid p map.
I hope you did not allow Windows to initialize the drive. If you did you just lost everything on it.

Nah, I actually wasn't able to even get in windows so i wiped that drive. I tried initialized it in OS X, but it didn't let me access the data. Its okay though was a data drive that was just recently populated with data from backup Time Machine. So basically i lost a bunch of time on the transfer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back