Contribute
Register

New Hackintosh(er) - WI-FI & Bluetooth Conundrum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey all,

I got a second-hand PC for pretty cheap that I want to run Mac OS on. The key specs are as follows:
i5-4690k
GTX 770
16 GB RAM
Asus Z97M-PLUS Motherboard

There's currently no onboard wifi/bluetooth, so naturally I would like to acquire and plug in a card(s) for wifi and bluetooth, such as this one sold by OSXWifi. Easy, right!? But here's the kicker: correct me if I'm wrong, but the Z97M-PLUS has no PCIe 1.0, which all the recommended wifi cards on the Buyer's Guide (and the one offered by OSXWifi) seem to require. See image below (courtesy of ASUS):
overview.png

So what should I do? What wifi/bluetooth solution do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Bapple

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

I got a second-hand PC for pretty cheap that I want to run Mac OS on. The key specs are as follows:
i5-4690k
GTX 770
16 GB RAM
Asus Z97M-PLUS Motherboard

There's currently no onboard wifi/bluetooth, so naturally I would like to acquire and plug in a card(s) for wifi and bluetooth, such as this one sold by OSXWifi. Easy, right!? But here's the kicker: correct me if I'm wrong, but the Z97M-PLUS has no PCIe 1.0, which all the recommended wifi cards on the Buyer's Guide (and the one offered by OSXWifi) seem to require.

So what should I do? What wifi/bluetooth solution do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Bapple

There are 2 PCIe x16 slots on the motherboard. The upper one is normally for a graphics card. You can use the bottom PCIe x16 slot. That slot will accept a PCIe x1 card.

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
There are 2 PCIe x16 slots on the motherboard. The upper one is normally for a graphics card. You can use the bottom PCIe x16 slot. That slot will accept a PCIe x1 card.
Thanks for responding! So I can just plug a Broadcom chip like this one into the left-hand side of the vastly larger slot (see annotated image below), and it will work?

28mmzvr.png

Also, I assume that said Broadcom chip will work properly in Windows as well--is that correct?

Thanks,
Bapple

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for responding! So I can just plug a Broadcom chip like this one into the left-hand side of the vastly larger slot, and it will work?

Also, I assume that said Broadcom chip will work properly in Windows as well--is that correct?

Thanks,
Bapple

Yes, supposedly it should.

If that Broadcom chip has a Windows driver available then I believe it should also work in Windows.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks for responding! So I can just plug a Broadcom chip like this one into the left-hand side of the vastly larger slot (see annotated image below), and it will work?

Thanks,
Bapple

That does not work without the correct adapter. If you want handoff and continuity to work you would need the BCM94360CD not the one you linked. You can buy it here http://www.osxwifi.com/adapters/app...-bluetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh
From what I've read that is the only card + adapter combo that will work in a x16 slot. All others need a x1 slot to have working BT and wifi.

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
That does not work without the correct adapter. If you want handoff and continuity to work you would need the BCM94360CD not the one you linked. You can buy it here http://www.osxwifi.com/adapters/app...-bluetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh
From what I've read that is the only card + adapter combo that will work in a x16 slot. All others need a x1 slot to have working BT and wifi.
Okay, thanks! Let's say that I don't care about continuity and handoff; what would be the cheapest and most seamless solution for Bluetooth 4 and at least 802.11n, that would also be fully compatible with Windows?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Okay, thanks! Let's say that I don't care about continuity and handoff; what would be the cheapest and most seamless solution for Bluetooth 4 and at least 802.11n, that would also be fully compatible with Windows?
If you have no PCI-e x1 slot I don't know of any other options that work in a x16 slot. You might look at USB wifi and USB BT options. Check the Accessories section of the B.G.

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
If you have no PCI-e x1 slot I don't know of any other options that work in a x16 slot. You might look at USB wifi and USB BT options. Check the Accessories section of the B.G.
Hmm...okay. Yeah, there are recommended USB Bluetooth solutions under Accessories but no USB wifi solutions that I can see. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: There seem to be a whole slew on Amazon though...

EDIT 2: Just ordered a USB Bluetooth dongle and this USB Wifi dongle. They claim it is Mac-compatible through OS X 10.13; I'll let you know!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 7
CPU
Intel i7700K
Graphics
GTX1080 Ti (SLI)
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you want handoff and continuity to work you would need the BCM94360CD not the one you linked. You can buy it here http://www.osxwifi.com/adapters/app...-bluetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh
Can I assume that you've got Bluetooth working successfuly on your setup? I think this Broadcom Bluetooth module
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDN4H9E/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) I purchased should work, as I also got this adapter card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772H1PSG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) for it.

After installing it, the Bluetooth system info (see attached screenshot) shows it being installed, but I'm not sure what kexts or drivers I need to install it on my High Sierra 10.13.3 system. Can you assist?

Attachments

• BT_Overview.png
    BT_Overview.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 288

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Can I assume that you've got Bluetooth working successfuly on your setup? I think this Broadcom Bluetooth module
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDN4H9E/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) I purchased should work, as I also got this adapter card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772H1PSG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) for it.

After installing it, the Bluetooth system info (see attached screenshot) shows it being installed, but I'm not sure what kexts or drivers I need to install it on my High Sierra 10.13.3 system. Can you assist?
Did you connect the cable to your motherboard's USB 2.0 header ? Also make sure the header is actually working by connecting up a case USB 2.0 port to it if you've got one.

Status
Not open for further replies.