On-Board
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so I want to start off by saying that I am totally new to this stuff. I have no problem following instructions and building a successful hackintosh, which I did 3 or 4 years ago. I found myself unwilling to update as I wasnt sure about stability, and I didnt want to rock the boat.

Move ahead to last week, I made a pot of coffee, found some free time and updated to El Capitan. Everything was working pretty darn good. Then I got the idea to work on getting the HDMI port to work so I could hook up to the TV, and I also had the iMessage issue. So I started plucking away at things. Here is where the issue came in to play:

I fired up Multibeast and changed a few things, and re-installed. Took longer to boot up, but I finally got back into the OS. Figuring that I didnt get the settings right, I made more changes within Multibeast and re-installed, thats when I wasnt getting any boot up at all. Progress bar that would stick, do not enter sign, and the "Insert in boot drive.....blahblah". I tried booting safe and verbose modes, still a hang. I then used my trusty USB install and booted up off of that, and was able to get back into my OS on the HDD.

Questions/assumptions: After reading into things AFTER I messed things up, I am assuming that I have too many kext files plugging up the s/l/e folder and thus causing these issues. Is there a way that I can delete all the kext entries, and then run a vanilla install just to get everything up and running? or is a wipe and re-install in order?

Also once I do get everything up and running once again in a vanilla state, is there a way that I can edit/adjust those settings to get my system running optimally? Again, without a basic understanding of how UNIX systems work, some of the jargon that I see gets very daunting, and it does take me some time to work out what its doing to make things happen.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, I hope it all makes sense, and thanks in advance :)

If you can remember the Kexts that you have added to get you where you are, run MultiBeast again, then select those same kexts again and in the description it should tell you what and where was added. Use Finder to locate the offending kexts and remove them. Once completed you should be back to where you was.

Optimising the system I am unsure of how to do this, but since the OS does this after first install there must be a system call to be able to achieve it.

Martin

If you can remember the Kexts that you have added to get you where you are, run MultiBeast again, then select those same kexts again and in the description it should tell you what and where was added. Use Finder to locate the offending kexts and remove them. Once completed you should be back to where you was.

All the kext files are in the S/L/E folder from what I understand, and can I just simply drag the unwanted items to the trash?

All the kext files are in the S/L/E folder from what I understand, and can I just simply drag the unwanted items to the trash?

It's how i do it, it will ask for your password to delete them. Just be careful you don't put something in there that you later rely upon. So trash'em, reboot and make sure all is fine and dandy, then empty trash. If it goofs up, then restore/put back the ones needed.

Martin

It's how i do it, it will ask for your password to delete them. Just be careful you don't put something in there that you later rely upon. So trash'em, reboot and make sure all is fine and dandy, then empty trash. If it goofs up, then restore/put back the ones needed.

Ok, sounds good, I will give it a go this evening. I thought I could do that, but I wasnt totally sure if something had to be changed within the clover files in the EFI as well.

Ok, sounds good, I will give it a go this evening. I thought I could do that, but I wasnt totally sure if something had to be changed within the clover files in the EFI as well.

Only if you have added any to the kexts folder in clover, I know there are some audio kexts with MultiBeast that do write to the Clover/EFI/Kexts folder so give it a check, that's why I mentioned the description part in MultiBeast because it tells you the kext name and where it was placed.

Martin

Only if you have added any to the kexts folder in clover, I know there are some audio kexts with MultiBeast that do write to the Clover/EFI/Kexts folder so give it a check, that's why I mentioned the description part in MultiBeast because it tells you the kext name and where it was placed.

Martin
I gotcha, thank you so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back