Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion does not load after MultiBeast install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much thanks. I'll do it tomorrow. It's getting late so it'll have to wait. You'll be the first to know if I was successful or not.
Again, thanks.

Good Luck i will have my fingers crossed ready for the installation:thumbup:.

Wild Willow...

You are not going to believe what I have to say. The mobo worked at first when I installed it. As I added the connectors from the case to the board I would do a test start up and was pleased to see it still worked. Then as I finished up with all the connections it stopped working. I was forced to disconnect everything and pull the mobo out to do another external test. Naturally, outside the case it works fine. That was yesterday. I decided to wait until today to install it again.

I had read that placing a thin sheet of plastic between the case and the motherboard might prevent any kind of accidental short. I did that carefully covering any metal that might accidentally touch the motherboard just allowing holes for the standoffs. Double stick tape held it all in place. This time I started up the board and left it on as I plugged everything in one by one. Fans ran beautifully and all the connectors went in without a hitch. Went around the back to tie the cables with ties to keep everything in place and when I came around to the front everything had stopped. This time when I pulled everything out and tested the motherboard outside the case, it wouldn't start. Start up button is lit but it is now behaving like when it shorted out in the case. I have tried the CMOS and the reset buttons to no avail. I even pulled the battery out for at least 15 minutes and replaced it. Still no start.

I just sent an email off to Gigabyte but I don't know if they can help. Well, needless to say but I'm totally depressed and about ready to throw in the towel.

Wild Willow...

You are not going to believe what I have to say. The mobo worked at first when I installed it. As I added the connectors from the case to the board I would do a test start up and was pleased to see it still worked. Then as I finished up with all the connections it stopped working. I was forced to disconnect everything and pull the mobo out to do another external test. Naturally, outside the case it works fine. That was yesterday. I decided to wait until today to install it again.

I had read that placing a thin sheet of plastic between the case and the motherboard might prevent any kind of accidental short. I did that carefully covering any metal that might accidentally touch the motherboard just allowing holes for the standoffs. Double stick tape held it all in place. This time I started up the board and left it on as I plugged everything in one by one. Fans ran beautifully and all the connectors went in without a hitch. Went around the back to tie the cables with ties to keep everything in place and when I came around to the front everything had stopped. This time when I pulled everything out and tested the motherboard outside the case, it wouldn't start. Start up button is lit but it is now behaving like when it shorted out in the case. I have tried the CMOS and the reset buttons to no avail. I even pulled the battery out for at least 15 minutes and replaced it. Still no start.

I just sent an email off to Gigabyte but I don't know if they can help. Well, needless to say but I'm totally depressed and about ready to throw in the towel.

Sorry to hear that you are having the same bad luck that you had with your previous motherboard. I understand your frustration, don't give up. I am unable to see how you have connected the motherboard to the case and seems odd that it was working until you placed everything back in the case.

Things that I would double check. Make sure that the CPU heat sink fan is connected to the motherboards CPU fan header. Ensure that all the power cables are connected correctly to the 24pin header and if you have an extra 4 or eight power header near the CPU, connect either the 4 or 8 pin connector from the PSU.

I will be here when you return.

Hi Sukebei and WildWillow,

Been reading through the ordeal you have been experiencing, and thought I would throw out a few thoughts.

It definitely sounds like a short, but one of an unexpected kind. Sukebei mentioned earlier that he plugged in the power supply extension cable that came with the motherboard ( a set of three cable connections on one extension, a 6 pin connector with two 4 pin molex connectors) to the power supply cabling. Make sure that you haven't connected power to both of the two molex connectors. That would create a double feed to the single six pin plug. There should only be one power connection to one of the molex's; the remaining molex should be empty (see below.) If that isn't the problem, then check all connections as suggested below...

Check your hardwired cabling from the power supply (usually a power supply has some hardwired output cables coming out of the bottom of the power supply, and some detachable cables that are added-on or plugged-in to extra ports on the power supply itself, as needed.) First check the connections to the motherboard, and second, look for connectors being mistakenly routed back on each other (btw, each hardwired cable coming out of the power supply should have a label attached to it listing the type of peripheral or connection it is set up to handle.)

Make sure that none of the hardwired power supply cables aren't inadvertently connected back back into the power supply.

The two molex connectors attached to the six pin connector, for example, are set to allow power from one molex connector to be routed through the six pin plug used to power the graphics card, leaving the second molex connector available to provide power to another device. Usually the second molex connector is left unoccupied or empty since the main reason for attaching the cable assembly in the first place, is to provide power to the graphics card power-in port.

Everything coming from the power supply is just supposed to provide power out to some peripheral connector or to the motherboard via its primary input connectors. After you have completed power connections to your motherboard, to the SATA drives and your optical drive, you probably will end up with a lot of extra connectors left over.

Some of the add-on connectors are able to be inadvertently reconnected to the hardwired cables creating a loop.

Also make sure that the graphics card is not plugged into the PCI slot (only one on the motherboard) but only plugged into the PCIe #1 slot (the 16x labeled slot.) Also, I am telling on myself, Sukebei. I have also experienced enabling the graphics card, turning off the onboard graphics in BIOS, and then forgetting to move the monitor cable over to the new card output port connector. Also, I couldn't see anything on the monitor until I moved the DVI to the correct DVI port on my new graphics card (my card came with two DVI ports, only one was able to be used as the single-monitor-out port.)

Hope you track down the culprit, or that my comments spark a thought on where the short is located.

Regards,

Hi Sukebei and WildWillow,

Hope you track down the culprit, or that my comments spark a thought on where the short is located.

Regards,

Hi altaylor,

Thanks for the input, it is really hard to determine the wiring when one cannot see the connections. I hope soon that Sukebei can eliminate the culprit.

Thanks

wildwillow:thumbup:

WildWillow...

This is Sukebei and I hope you are still alive and kicking. I just thought I should touch base with you and let you know I am finally ready to install the OS on my build. It's taken me this long because I had to RMA the mobo back to the manufacturer twice. Yes, I managed to short it out a second time. I also had to RMA the SSD to its manufacturer because it went bad and refused to allow the mobo to post when connected. I've taken apart and put together this build so many times I think I can do it blindfolded.

I tested the mobo and it starts without a hitch. I will be using the mountain lion boot stick to do the initial partition following the basic instructions. I will then switch to your last instructions setting the bios at graphics enabled, first display to IGFX. Then, at chimera use -x to get to desktop in safe mode. Then, I'll apply your multi beast settings. Shut down the Hack and install graphics card. Start it up, with fingers crossed, and enter BIOs. Disable onboard graphics and set initial first display to PCI. Yes, I'll make sure the HDMI connector is switched to the new graphics card.

Is there anything more I should do after I successfully install the graphics card? Is it ready to boot from the mountain lion OS or are there more steps that I need to tackle?

I did read altaylor's suggestions. I appreciate his input and, yes, I did forget to switch the monitor cable from the internal graphics port to the new graphics card that first time.

Anyway, I do hope you are still there and willing to help.

Sukebei

WildWillow...

Anyway, I do hope you are still there and willing to help.

Sukebei

Sukebei,

Welcome back and I pleased that you have eliminated those initial querks. How may I be of help?

WildWillow...

Nice to hear from you again. I'm just trying to be positive and look ahead at finishing the install. I'll probably be bugging you again once I complete all those steps I listed. I am already wondering about any problems I may encounter updating the OS as well as getting the audio to work.

Tomorrow I will tackle installing the OS along with the graphics card and will update you on my progress. Comforting to know that you're still there.

Thanks...

Sukebei

WildWillow...

Houston, we have another problem. Started with boot stick and followed all instructions carefully to where I installed multibeast using the settings User DSDT or DSDT free, ALC 898, Intel-hnaks Apple Intel E1 and graphics enabler=No, all checked. Installed Multibeast. Shut down computer and installed the graphics card (GeForce GTX 670) with power supply plugged in.
Started up system and entered BIOs. Set initial first display to PCI. To disable the internal graphics I disabled the Intel HD Graphics button just below the initial first display button. Couldn't find a graphics enabler=NO anywhere else. Image signal to monitor vanished with default blue screen saying No Signal Detected. Switched the HDMI plug from the onboard jack to the GPU jack.
Here's the problem…nothing on the monitor. Still had the same blue screen with No Signal Detected. Ran thru the three HDMI sources on the monitor with no result. The graphics card is getting power as I see the GPU fan spinning. No Chimera anywhere.

Added 3 hrs. later...
I was looking at the Gigabyte manual and noticed that I checked the PCI as the initial first display as you told me. However, there is an IGFX slot, PCIe 1 slot, a PCIe 2 slot and a PCIe 3 slot in addition to the PCI slot. The card is inserted into the PCIe 1 slot on the motherboard. I'm thinking I should go back remove the graphics card and reset the BIOs. I'll then redo Multibeast, shut down and insert the graphics card again. On start up in BIOs I'll check off the PCIe 1 slot and disable the Intel HD graphics.

Added even later...

Did as I said above and changed first display to the PCIe1 slot. Didn't work. The monitor still shows default blue screen with NO SIGNAL floating in it. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Still need help. Thanks...

Sukebei

WildWillow...

Houston, we have another problem. Started with boot stick and followed all instructions carefully to where I installed multibeast using the settings User DSDT or DSDT free, ALC 898, Intel-hnaks Apple Intel E1 and graphics enabler=No, all checked. Installed Multibeast. Shut down computer and installed the graphics card (GeForce GTX 670) with power supply plugged in.
Started up system and entered BIOs. Set initial first display to PCI. To disable the internal graphics I disabled the Intel HD Graphics button just below the initial first display button. Couldn't find a graphics enabler=NO anywhere else. Image signal to monitor vanished with default blue screen saying No Signal Detected. Switched the HDMI plug from the onboard jack to the GPU jack.
Here's the problem…nothing on the monitor. Still had the same blue screen with No Signal Detected. Ran thru the three HDMI sources on the monitor with no result. The graphics card is getting power as I see the GPU fan spinning. No Chimera anywhere.

Added 3 hrs. later...
I was looking at the Gigabyte manual and noticed that I checked the PCI as the initial first display as you told me. However, there is an IGFX slot, PCIe 1 slot, a PCIe 2 slot and a PCIe 3 slot in addition to the PCI slot. The card is inserted into the PCIe 1 slot on the motherboard. I'm thinking I should go back remove the graphics card and reset the BIOs. I'll then redo Multibeast, shut down and insert the graphics card again. On start up in BIOs I'll check off the PCIe 1 slot and disable the Intel HD graphics.

Added even later...

Did as I said above and changed first display to the PCIe1 slot. Didn't work. The monitor still shows default blue screen with NO SIGNAL floating in it. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Still need help. Thanks...

Sukebei

Good Morning sukebei,

When you were in the BIOS did you switch you First Boot Priority to your new installation drive. Make sure that you select the P0 your ML installation and not P1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back