Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion does not load after MultiBeast install

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the SATA all disconnected I left the ML boot stick in and just disconnected the external SSD clone.
The reset did not work. The cursor is still frozen. What are the steps to using the back up bios switch?
Do I turn off all power and slide the switch, then start up and hold the f12 button?

Sukebei

With the SATA all disconnected I left the ML boot stick in and just disconnected the external SSD clone.
The reset did not work. The cursor is still frozen. What are the steps to using the back up bios switch?
Do I turn off all power and slide the switch, then start up and hold the f12 button?

Sukebei

Yes always when you are making adjustments to the motherboard best practice is to turn off the power. Once the power is off slide the switch over and ultimately let it boot by itself. Hopefully this will work for you.

Turned the power off and slid the switch over to back up bios. Booted up and the same Bios has been reset window showed up with the frozen cursor. The only things still connected to the computer is the usb hub, the ML boot stick and the monitor.

After switching to the back up bios was I supposed to hit the cmos button again or not?

Totally depressed now.

Sukebei

Turned the power off and slid the switch over to back up bios. Booted up and the same Bios has been reset window showed up with the frozen cursor. The only things still connected to the computer is the usb hub, the ML boot stick and the monitor.

After switching to the back up bios was I supposed to hit the cmos button again or not?

Totally depressed now.

Sukebei

You can try resetting the CMOS and booting from the back up BIOS again. My suggestion from here would be to take a look at the Manual whilst the power is off and remove the battery. Give it 30 mins before putting the battery back in and restarting, the manual should tell you if there is a battery clear function like a master reset. If the problem still persists i would recommend getting an RMA for the board via Amazon or Gigabyte directly as it still within its warranty. Either way I hope you get this fixed. I feel your frustration. Let me know how it goes as I have to go. Good Luck.

WildWillow...

Thanks for your time and patience. I can't believe it went from a working computer to an inert piece of electronics so quickly. I doubt much that the battery thing will work. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I may set a record for the number of times this board gets RMA'd.

I probably ruined your day with this as well. Sorry.

Sukebei.

WildWillow...

Thanks for your time and patience. I can't believe it went from a working computer to an inert piece of electronics so quickly. I doubt much that the battery thing will work. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I may set a record for the number of times this board gets RMA'd.

I probably ruined your day with this as well. Sorry.

Sukebei.

No need for sorry. It's disappointing to see that you are having problems after you rectified them at the beginning. Wondering if leaving out the battery has worked for you? I suppose the good thing is that you are familiar with the RMA process. It may be worth getting a ticket with Gigabyte tech support to see if the problem has been resolved in the past.

WildWillow...

This will make your day. I am writing this on my hack that I believed was kaput just a day ago. Here's what happened. I went ahead and requested an RMA but have yet to receive one. I disassembled the computer and readied the motherboard for shipping pending RMA approval.

It kept bothering me that the motherboard was still able to post yet I was getting frozen out in the bios option page. You mentioning that the update had nothing to do with the way the hack was acting also kept replaying itself in my mind. I went to bed but kept thinking about what happened. Suddenly, I saw a problem in the sequence of events that logically didn't add up.

If I reset the CMOS as you instructed then everything is reset to default, right? That means the video card was no longer enabled but the onboard graphics was. The fact that the video card was still putting up that bios option page was misleading me into assuming it was still functioning. I can't blame you for that because you're not here looking at the set up.

Believing this was the problem I went ahead and reassembled the computer and changed the video connection to the onboard graphics jack. It worked! Went into bios and gave the ML usb stick priority over the SSD. In disk utility I erased the SSD and did a complete reinstall of ML and multi beast following your original instructions. I just did a software update and skipped that security update that messed up my mouse.

Hope this cheers you up because it certainly did it for me. I happy to have my hack back. Now I have to make a new SuperDuper back up and I can put the side panels back on. Thanks again for your support. Your help with this most recent problem was actually spot on as I was able to repair that OS on the SSD (after I figured out the graphics snafu).

Sukebei

Hi Wildwillow,

It's me Sukebei, you probably don't remember me since it's been about 3 years since you last helped me. I'm still running mountain lion on my original rig, Customac pro, i7-4770 Haswell chip, mobo GA-Z87X-UD5h, Geforce GTX 670.
I recently built a new MATX Customac Skylake and found instructions on how to load Sierra on it. That was a success mainly because the person who posted the instructions had a similar build to mine. So, I decided it was time to upgrade my Haswell build to Sierra. I've tried to load Sierra following the MATX method and failed when I first boot from the flash drive with Sierra on it. I tried it using the -v -x method and that didn't work.

Am I doing this wrong? I was hoping there was a way to a clean install Sierra onto my Haswell rig. I was trying to follow the instructions you gave me for the mountain lion install but I get the spinning beachball of death each time I try to load the OS even when I use the verbose/safe method.

Went to TonyMac site and followed the steps for a clean install of Sierra. At the initial Clover boot options, I selected verbose, safe with the Nvidia box preselected. This still led to the spinning beachball. I also decided to try to boot without verbose and safe checked in options and as expected got the beachball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back