Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion does not load after MultiBeast install

Status
Not open for further replies.
WildWillow...

I have come upon an odd problem. In finder I can't see the HDD listed under devices. In finder preferences I clicked on show hard disks in sidebar with external disks and CDs, DVDs etc. already clicked by default. The HDD does not show up at all.

However, it does show up in Disk Utility along with the SSD. Why is it only seen there and not in finder? In order to be able to access it I need it to be seen in finder where I can start to transfer the bigger files, right? Do you have a solution for this?

Hasn't been all that long since I last bothered you. Sorry.

Sukebei.

Hi Sukebei,

When you tick the box show hard drives in Finder>Preferences as a rule it shows as a Disk Icon on your desktop. If you want this to show in finder you can drag and drop it to Devices and you can access it easily when ever you need too.

WildWillow...

That was one of the first things I tried. In finder preferences under General I clicked on the Hard Disks listing and only the boot drive SSD showed up on the desktop. I also went to Sidebar and clicked on hard disks, again only the SSD showed.

It's so weird that disk utility sees it. Listed are the 120 GB SSD with the named version of it indented under it and the 1 TB HDD listed third and last. At the bottom of disk utility it even has everything describing the drive…name, connection bus, capacity, smart status, etc. Sadly, the Mount button as well as the verify & repair buttons are all greyed out.

Why is it invisible to Finder but visible to disk utility? I was searching online for a solution but I'm not sure which one is safe and actually applies to my situation.

Help!

Sukebei.

PS. I just noticed that I can't see the optical drive listed anywhere. Disk utility does not list it either.

WildWillow...

That was one of the first things I tried. In finder preferences under General I clicked on the Hard Disks listing and only the boot drive SSD showed up on the desktop. I also went to Sidebar and clicked on hard disks, again only the SSD showed.

It's so weird that disk utility sees it. Listed are the 120 GB SSD with the named version of it indented under it and the 1 TB HDD listed third and last. At the bottom of disk utility it even has everything describing the drive…name, connection bus, capacity, smart status, etc. Sadly, the Mount button as well as the verify & repair buttons are all greyed out.

Why is it invisible to Finder but visible to disk utility? I was searching online for a solution but I'm not sure which one is safe and actually applies to my situation.

Help!

Sukebei.
I assume that this is new volume for your storage. Is it possible that you haven't formatted the drive? This can be done in Disk Utility.

I'm not worthy...

I did a quick erase and reformatted as you said. The renamed disk appeared on the desktop as you said it would. It's also appear in the side bar under devices. Thank you very much.

However, I noticed that I cannot see the optical drive listed anywhere. I was so concerned about the HDD I didn't pay attention to the fact that the burner is not in finder nor disk utility. More help please.

Sukebei

PS. I clicked on DVD player and got a window saying that no optical device was detected. Does this mean I should open the case and see if the SATA and power connections are properly fitted?

I'm not worthy...

I did a quick erase and reformatted as you said. The renamed disk appeared on the desktop as you said it would. It's also appear in the side bar under devices. Thank you very much.

However, I noticed that I cannot see the optical drive listed anywhere. I was so concerned about the HDD I didn't pay attention to the fact that the burner is not in finder nor disk utility. More help please.

Sukebei

Take a look in About This Mac>More Info>System Report>Disk Burning and see if it is listed there, Also check under Sata/Sata Express. If it is connected it should show in both.

WildWillow...

Did ask suggested. System report does not see it. I also clicked on the DVD player app and got a message saying "No device detected". I guess I'll have to open up the case and see if everything is properly connected.

Sukebei.

WildWillow...

Here's an update. I opened up the Hack and checked the connections. They all looked good. I even pulled them out of the optical disk and reinserted the SATA and power plugs. No good. I pull the SATA plug from the mobo and moved it down to one of the Marvel controlled SATA sockets. Still no go. I pulled the optical drive and put in a slightly older one I have that I've used before so I know it works. Reconnected everything and nada.

Made a simple decision. I removed the optical drive from the Hack. I've been using minis so I'm comfortable using an external drive for this. I have the cables to do the job so no big deal. A little disappointed about not being able to have it internally but not going to worry any more about it.

Thanks again for helping me find the HDD. Now to figure out how to use terminal to establish links between the HDD and SSD. I welcome any suggestions you might have on doing this terrifying (for me) process.

Sukebei

WildWillow...

Here's an update. I opened up the Hack and checked the connections. They all looked good. I even pulled them out of the optical disk and reinserted the SATA and power plugs. No good. I pull the SATA plug from the mobo and moved it down to one of the Marvel controlled SATA sockets. Still no go. I pulled the optical drive and put in a slightly older one I have that I've used before so I know it works. Reconnected everything and nada.

Made a simple decision. I removed the optical drive from the Hack. I've been using minis so I'm comfortable using an external drive for this. I have the cables to do the job so no big deal. A little disappointed about not being able to have it internally but not going to worry any more about it.

Thanks again for helping me find the HDD. Now to figure out how to use terminal to establish links between the HDD and SSD. I welcome any suggestions you might have on doing this terrifying (for me) process.

Sukebei

What kind of links are you permitting between the SSD and HDD. I use only SSD's on my systems. Depending on which Apps you use, it is possible for you to change the location under the preferences section of the App to obtain the files via a path to your HDD, I do this on my media build yet for all my other systems I use Network Attached Storage. An example for you is iTunes, I have almost 1TB of movies that I run on iTunes from a 120GB SSD. In the advanced section of preferences you can change the folder location to your HDD or NAS. Keeping the valuable SSD space available for the Apps and operating system.

WildWillow...

Thanks for the valuable advice. I'll bear it in mind when I get to moving files around. I use photoshop a lot so saving the large files to the HDD is a plus. I have to start transferring apps to the Hack to make it functional for me while keeping an eye on the amount of space being used on the 120 GB SSD.

Again, your help is much appreciated.

Sukebei

Wild Willow...

Well, I need your help again. I purchased SuperDuper and created 2 external usb clones of my Hack HD. The first was to an HDD which took over 4 hours to make. I purchased another SSD and made a clone using that in a blazing time of 15 minutes using the usb3.

Now for the problem. I saw a security update so I downloaded it to my Hack. Shouldn't have done that because now my mouse freezes for minutes on end before eventually unfreezing. This happened immediately after the security update. I decided that it was a good time to restore using the HD clone I had made. I tried to activate SuperDuper but could not highlight the Hack HD because it was the boot device. After asking SuperDuper support about this I was told to boot from the clone SSD and then use disk utility to restore the Hack HD.

I've been trying to boot from the external SSD clone by holding down the option key when rebooting but I get no boot selection page. Instead, it ignores that key command and goes straight to the Hack HD. I tried holding down the f12 key on boot and it ignores that not allowing me into bios. Tried it again and on the Gigabyte window I hit any key for boot options and it goes straight to Hack HD. I've gone to system preferences and highlighted the external SSD clone as the start up drive and restarted. I believed that command was ignored. I don't know if this is a result of the security update but I am frustrated at every turn in my attempts to restore the Hack HD.

I even pulled the Hack HD and replaced it with the SSD clone internally. For some reason it did not recognize the clone as a bootable drive. I also inserted the Mountain Lion boot stick with no startup options page appearance.

Do you have any suggestions? Please help.

Sukebei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back