Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion does not load after MultiBeast install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild Willow...

I left the Marvell controller setting at disabled. I changed the Initial first display to PCI and internal graphics set to disabled. Saved and exited bios. The monitor screen went to black.
My dvi/vga monitor had a black screen. I changed to a hdmi monitor and still have a black screen when I power up.
Please help.

Update: I went back and pressed the CMOs button to reset the bios and got the monitor working again. I did your Initial First Display set to PCI and internal graphics set to disabled. No other bios changed. Save and exited. Again got the black screen with my HDMI monitor saying it couldn't find any connection.

I added GraphicsEnabler=No to your MultiBeast settings so once you applied those settings you could shut down and power off your system and install your discrete graphics card. Then everything should work just fine.
I should have added this to my suggestions as it would have made it simpler.

Wild Willow...Thank you for your patience.

I have not yet done MultiBeast with your settings. After the clean install of Mountain Lion, I went into bios to make sure that the changes you recommended were done first. Under peripherals I changed First Display to PCI and set Internal Graphics to disabled. Then I clicked on Save and Exit. The result was my monitor screen going to black. I thought perhaps the problem was using a dvi-vga adapter with my monitor.
I switched to a HDMI ready LED tv connected to my hack using that connection. I reset the bios using the CMOS button. My monitor on restart was reconnected to my computer. So I went into bios again and just did your changes, First Display to PCI and Internal Graphics to disabled. Clicked on Save and Exit, and was greeted with the black screen. This time the LED screen had a warning that there was no connection it could detect.
Please advise. I'm excited to apply the MultiBeast with your settings but unless I can keep my monitor connection this is impossible.

Wild Willow...Thank you for your patience.

I have not yet done MultiBeast with your settings. After the clean install of Mountain Lion, I went into bios to make sure that the changes you recommended were done first. Under peripherals I changed First Display to PCI and set Internal Graphics to disabled. Then I clicked on Save and Exit. The result was my monitor screen going to black. I thought perhaps the problem was using a dvi-vga adapter with my monitor.
I switched to a HDMI ready LED tv connected to my hack using that connection. I reset the bios using the CMOS button. My monitor on restart was reconnected to my computer. So I went into bios again and just did your changes, First Display to PCI and Internal Graphics to disabled. Clicked on Save and Exit, and was greeted with the black screen. This time the LED screen had a warning that there was no connection it could detect.
Please advise. I'm excited to apply the MultiBeast with your settings but unless I can keep my monitor connection this is impossible.

You can change the settings that I gave you in the BIOS to set enable onboard and set Initial First Display to IGFX (for the installation purposes). Then at the Chimera Boot Screen type in -x (safe mode) this will get you to the desktop. Apply the MultiBeast settings from the screen shot. Then shut down and unplug your computer, install your graphics card, start up your system and enter the BIOS and set Initial First Display to PCI and disable onboard.

Wild Willow...
The computer gods must hate me.
I adjusted the bios (first display to IGFX and left the internal graphics enabled per your instructions. Booted in with -x safe mode and got to desktop. Did all the settings in MultiBeast exactly as in your sample and installed. Shut down computer and turned all power off. Inserted the EVGA Geforce card in the PCI slot and connected the power supply to the card. Hit the button to turn on computer and the cpu fan ran for a second and just shut down after that without the computer starting. Pressed the start button again and this time the cpu fan didn't even spin. The mobo power button is on showing that there is power connected to it but when I press it nothing happens. None of the other lights and leds that are normally on after start up are lit.
The monitor is on but the computer refuses to start.

Please advise.

Wild Willow...
The computer gods must hate me.
I adjusted the bios (first display to IGFX and left the internal graphics enabled per your instructions. Booted in with -x safe mode and got to desktop. Did all the settings in MultiBeast exactly as in your sample and installed. Shut down computer and turned all power off. Inserted the EVGA Geforce card in the PCI slot and connected the power supply to the card. Hit the button to turn on computer and the cpu fan ran for a second and just shut down after that without the computer starting. Pressed the start button again and this time the cpu fan didn't even spin. The mobo power button is on showing that there is power connected to it but when I press it nothing happens. None of the other lights and leds that are normally on after start up are lit.
The monitor is on but the computer refuses to start.

Please advise.

Ok does your Graphics Card need an extra power supply. If this has been done already, reset the CMOS on your motherboard, there is a button for this on the majority of GA-Z87 motherboards, if there is not a button refer to your User Manual that came with it. Once this is done go into the BIOS and set accordingly.

Wild Willow...

I pulled the graphics card out and re-inserted it to make sure I seated it properly. Attached the 2 adapter 6 pin power plugs that lead to 4 molex connectors (included with the card). I used one of the modular molex connectors provided by the power supply and hooked the 4 molex leads to each other and plugged the other end into one of the 6 pin plugs on the side of the power supply.
:banghead:
Re-set the CMOS button and tried the power on button. Again, for a split second where the mobo looks like it wants to start up and then it dies. I'm wondering if the graphics card is a lemon. It's brand new out of the box and I can see no obvious damage to it. The problem has to lie with the graphics card as the computer was working as expected prior to installation of the card.

Any ideas?

Wild Willow...

I pulled the graphics card out and re-inserted it to make sure I seated it properly. Attached the 2 adapter 6 pin power plugs that lead to 4 molex connectors (included with the card). I used one of the modular molex connectors provided by the power supply and hooked the 4 molex leads to each other and plugged the other end into one of the 6 pin plugs on the side of the power supply.
:banghead:
Re-set the CMOS button and tried the power on button. Again, for a split second where the mobo looks like it wants to start up and then it dies. I'm wondering if the graphics card is a lemon. It's brand new out of the box and I can see no obvious damage to it. The problem has to lie with the graphics card as the computer was working as expected prior to installation of the card.

Any ideas?

To set your mind at ease I would take out the graphics card and see if you are able to boot.
What PSU are you using? It is important to have the correct PSU if you are using a powered graphics card. Generally you will have PCI on the cabling.

The power supply is the Corsair TX 650 M.
I pulled the graphics card and reset the CMOS button again to make sure the bios were reset. Tried to power it up and again it died. Apparently, even without the graphics card, my computer does not want to start up. I can see that the power on button on the mobo is lit so there is power going to it. I can't figure out what changed since I last turned it on. Other than the installation and removal of the graphics card there is no real changes to any of the connectors.

The power supply is the Corsair TX 650 M.
I pulled the graphics card and reset the CMOS button again to make sure the bios were reset. Tried to power it up and again it died. Apparently, even without the graphics card, my computer does not want to start up. I can see that the power on button on the mobo is lit so there is power going to it. I can't figure out what changed since I last turned it on. Other than the installation and removal of the graphics card there is no real changes to any of the connectors.

Try turning off the power supply and disconnect it from the mains, leaving it for 5 minutes and then connect it back up and see if it boots. I'm also wondering when you installed the Graphics card that something maybe shorting out. Take out the molex connectors and anything you did when you installed the Graphics card. Kind of like reverse the procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back