Contribute
Register

Mojave Install Black Screen: USB Mojave Install fails to reach Mac Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have the same issues I have the MSI rx 590 card trying to install Mojave what I did to get it passed install was to boot with unibeast efi usb but aslo made retail usb of Mojave and select that to install!!! But now when I boot in to fresh install I get black screen but I can hear voice over commands thru the hdmi? What am missing?

Try a different HDMI cable or DisplayPort cable.

Couple things/updates!
  1. Got to the install Mac screen with no dGPU! So that's good news. Didn't pursue it further yet, because...
  2. I purchased a Radeon Saphire Pulse rx 580. This seems to be just about the gold standard for compatibility with Mojave? Regardless, I will report back and see if that boots to the apple install menu as well. If so I will likely return the rx 590 and try to note somewhere on this site that it doesn't seem compatible

And it appears the rx 580 goes straight to a black screen as well! I will try the other DisplayPort and I will try capturing the output, but it appears I will be installing with the iGPU and then crossing fingers I can insert the card post-install (though at this point I'm pretty flabbergasted about what the issue is!)

Success! I was able to install Mojave with my iGPU (intel HD630) & pastrychef's EFI, use Multibeast to install kexts & then simply plugin my sapphire rx 590 and it was (seemingly) recognized as "Polaris Radeon 8GB" or something like that. Thank you everyone for the support and help!

one more quick thing - i am using imac18,2 system definition which appears to work quite well but does identify my imac as a 21.5” should i select a different system definitions? do system definitions matter much?

one more quick thing - i am using imac18,2 system definition which appears to work quite well but does identify my imac as a 21.5” should i select a different system definitions? do system definitions matter much?

18.1 and use lilukext and whatevergreenkext to name the RX 590 correctly.

If using IGPU only, use iMac18,1. If using dGPU and IGPU, use iMac18,3. If using dGPU only, use iMacPro1,1.

Last edited:
so I take it you used iGPU only? Anyway, with iMac18,2 things are working pretty well so I'm hesitant to change. What do you mean if using dGPU & iGPU? Don't Hackintosh's / Mac OSX choose one and stick with it? I thought they only used both in laptops?

so I take it you used iGPU only? Anyway, with iMac18,2 things are working pretty well so I'm hesitant to change. What do you mean if using dGPU & iGPU? Don't Hackintosh's / Mac OSX choose one and stick with it? I thought they only used both in laptops?

For video rendering many people need IGPU partially activated (headless) for AVX instructions (H264/265) for RX 400-500 series cards in Mojave. Apple switched up support for AMD cards as it wasn’t needed in high Sierra.

Back in the Day (Sierra 10.12.1-5) RX cards needed IGPU or you would get black screen. Then lilu and WEG fixed it and shortly after Meize and Slice figured out the black screen fix for Polaris cards. “Rad deinit” was born. Before that it was mandatory to use IGPU. Shortly after the clover fix Apple fixed the software and now it’s not needed. It depends on which software version and which system definition you use for optimal performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back