Contribute
Register

Mavericks Hackintosh Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know if 10.9.3 still freezes?
Yes it did. At least with my Kingston Hyper 32 GB. Using the XMP Profile works most stable for me yet, *knockonwood*

This freezing issue was driving me crazy... I was about to trash my ProBook one time... I was really disappointed in Mavericks, and the only solution for me was to go back to Mountain Lion... Until I find no confirmation that this issue is fixed, I don`t think it`s a good idea to use Mavericks if you want to have a stable hackintosh...

This freezing issue was driving me crazy... I was about to trash my ProBook one time... I was really disappointed in Mavericks, and the only solution for me was to go back to Mountain Lion... Until I find no confirmation that this issue is fixed, I don`t think it`s a good idea to use Mavericks if you want to have a stable hackintosh...

No problems with Mavericks on any of my systems (see signature).

Just adding to the known information.

I have the same issue with my GA-Z87X-UD3H hack, freezing randomly and becoming completely unresponsive unless force rebooted. The screen seems to freeze, but the computer continues to run, fans and everything.

I seem to notice the problem more when using audio and USB, and sometimes on reboot I get a kernel panic. Unplugging the USB drive generally works in this case. The kernel panic does not seem to have a specific issue with any kext though. Using Chimera 2.2.1 seems to have lessened the freezes from 3.0, but they still occur. I have monitored temperatures, but nothing seems to be too out of hand (at medium stress the system runs at 55C).

Reinstalling the os has not worked, and the issue comes up in all the current versions of mavericks. I have tried bumping the memory voltage as well, with no success. Updating to the latest bios (F9) has been a bit of a challenge though, as was not able to use Q-Flash as I did with previous updates.

This issue was really bad with Chimera 3.0, and it interfered with my schoolwork, much of which has to do with movie/film making since I am taking a video production class. Chimera 2.2.1 is better, but the issue is still an annoyance. If this info sparks anyone's creative mind, please reply with any ideas, and I would be happy to test them out.

devdev001

Edit 1: Seems like it was GenericUSBXHCI.kext... got rid of it, usb 3.0 works and no freezes so far. I don't know why it would be this as I had no issues under 10.8.5, 10.9, or 10.9.1, but then started under 10.9.2 and even on rollback are not fixed.

That`s good to know :) I`m sure my problem is/was related to the memory management of Mavericks… I tried all kinds of tricks I read on the forums but nothing worked. My freezes were completely random, even when no USB devices were present :( I think I`ll just skip Mavericks and wait for the next OS X… hopefully presented next week :)

No problems with Mavericks on any of my systems (see signature).

I`m happy to hear that :) Unfortunately, your magic didn`t work this time… but the next OS X is not that far away now… :)

Just want you to know that I solved my problem by installing Clover instead of Chimera. Now I have 2 weeks of uptime and the system is rock solid. So if you are out of ideas - try Clover, it might help you :)

Is your system still stable? Are you on 10.9.3 or 10.9.2?

Is your system still stable? Are you on 10.9.3 or 10.9.2?
I'm on 10.9.3 and yes, my system is perfectly stable. I had to remove GenericUSBXHCI.kext though, because sleep didn't work quite well with it. But other than that, no issues at all.

Just adding to the known information.

devdev001

Edit 1: Seems like it was GenericUSBXHCI.kext... got rid of it, usb 3.0 works and no freezes so far. I don't know why it would be this as I had no issues under 10.8.5, 10.9, or 10.9.1, but then started under 10.9.2 and even on rollback are not fixed.

Is your system still stable? Any lock ups?

I'm on 10.9.3 and yes, my system is perfectly stable. I had to remove GenericUSBXHCI.kext though, because sleep didn't work quite well with it. But other than that, no issues at all.

So perhaps the problem isn't Chimera vs Clover and more or less the kext you mentioned? What's the best way of removing the kext file? Copy and paste it into a back up folder than delete said Kext? Thanks for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back