Contribute
Register

Mavericks Hackintosh Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll definately try this if i encounter any further problems. As it is looking now, the hack ran through the whole weekend without freezing.
As soon as this thing seems to be having any kinds of freezing issues again, i'll, as i said, try this solution.

But great thanks for the good help!

So even though it ran all night and did not crash, i don't think it will be completely stable.
Do you think there's a chance of getting the Motherboard RMA'd because of this? I'm looking the ASUS route, is it really that much more of a hassle to install?

EDIT: There was this (http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=13267.0) topic i found where pretty much exactly this problem is being talked about.
One of the forum members had a fix with which he got his system mostly stable. Going to try this out.
If any other freezes will occur i'll post that here.

This one fixed my startup/login hang. Once the changes were made, it started running like a champ. Thanks so much. Stable 1 week+ under all load tests.

Just throwing my 2c in. I've been having the same lock problem since I built my box.

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
4x4GB Corsair RAM
Intel i4770k
Onboard graphics
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
TP Link dual-band WiFi card
A couple other USB devices (camera, Bluetooth, etc.)

This problem was driving me nuts until I found this thread the other day. I've since tried out the voltage bump of +0.200v. While I haven't yet put it through its paces, my box has been running stable for two days now, so here's hoping it lasts.

UPDATE: Nope, didn't work, back to square 1.

For me it was a combination of increasing system agent, IO analog and IO digital, all three by +0,2v and the latest BIOS, which I believe is F9a for the z87x-ud5h.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

Either the voltage increase or the BIOS update fixed the problem, or the combination of both. Now I've been running this build 100% stable with 32Gb of ram in 4 dimms at 2400Mhz XMP and even with a light overclock to 4.3Ghz my 4770K... until I updated to 10.9.2 from 10.9.1. Now my desktop freezes randomly and VERY frequently. At the moment I rolled back to .1 for the time being.

Ok, here is my input to this, i am on Z87X-UD3H and i5 4670K

I have been having this issues since 1.9.0

I am running the TridentX 2400Mhz kit and loading XMP1

MemtestOSX has been a great diagnostic tool for me in this case, because instead of just trying to stress the system for few hours or days to come across the freeze and know if it is stable or not, i would run MemtestOSX and after few runs i would get actual errors, so i had a tool to diagnose the problem and see what is causing the problem and what works and what does not.

In my case it was RAM that was causing it, i knew this because when i used to run at 2400Mhz by loading XMP1 i would get the errors in MemtestOSX and eventually the freeze, but when i lower the speed to 2133Mhz i could run MemtestOSX for as many runs as i want without a single error and of course not a single freeze ..

OK i figured out that the RAM could be defective, but when running Memtest86 or 86+ or windows memory diagnostic i would get no errors, so it was only MemtestOSX that was showing the problem.

I got the RAM replaced to another TridentX 2400Mhz kit but a newer production, loaded XMP1 of 2400 and i got no freezes or errors .. i was happy until i ran Geekbench and noticed that my score with the new kit has got lower, especially RAM score ..

What i found out is that the new kit turned out to be a single-sided 1 Rank modules as apposed to the old kit which was double-sided 2 Ranks kit.

The old one is a lot faster because of the fact it is double-sided 2 Ranks but it puts more stress on the IMC (Integrated memory controller) of the CPU and thus could have been causing the problem...

I did not like the fact that the new modules were slower so i changed back to the old ones and will try few things like raising System Agent Voltage and Digital and Analog I/O values ..

If i am successful in stabilizing the IMC by supplying it with more voltage then fine, i can keep the faster kit while being stable, if not i will just install the single-sided 1 Rank one, load XMP1 and call it a day.

The moral of the story is that it is RAM that is causing that, either because it is a bit unstable or because the IMC could not take the speed or that maybe OSX lowers the IMC voltage causing the problem.

Anyways replacing RAM does work, if you only care for stability and do not mind minor performance differences just replace your RAM, for me the Single-Sided kit was rock solid at 2400Mhz by only loading XMP1 and i could run games and all other stressors for hours without a single freeze ..

and MemtestOSX is your friend in solving this problem, whatever settings or RAM parts that does not produce errors in MemtestOSX after running for say 10 times (it is important to run memtest all 10) so at least 10 runs without a single error means that the RAM or settings are stable and the system will not freeze ..

Hope this adds something to the picture .

Hi,

i just wanted to say that while 10.9.1 was still running on this hack, everything was perfectly stable.
Now, some **** decided to update to 10.9.2 via the mac app store, and now again the computer is freezing...
Do you think that this is still the memory issue or might it be something else to do with 10.9.2 wich i can fix.
If anyone could solve this problem i'd be very happy, is it would suck to reinstall everything from scratch (and this machine has a LOT installed)

Hey guys,
I have the same problem on my GA-H87-D3H. After 10.9.2 update the computer freezes a lot, especially when I'm working with audio (I have a Focusrite USB interface). I replaced all the RAM sticks and restored BIOS settings, but still no luck. Same thing happens on the latest 10.9.3 beta.
However, after downgrading to 10.9.1 and it works like a charm.
Has anyone found a solution yet? I'm pretty sure it's a software problem, since my Linux installation works perfectly fine...

Same problem here with a Z87MX system built for a friend, only 2x8GB of corsair 1866MHz are installed.
I will try timing relaxation or voltage increase.

My Z87X-UD5H works perfectly without one freeze in months.

Just want you to know that I solved my problem by installing Clover instead of Chimera. Now I have 2 weeks of uptime and the system is rock solid. So if you are out of ideas - try Clover, it might help you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back