Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jerry2345, I picked up a Gigabyte RX 560 4gb today and tested.

Now why did you go and do that for? :)

Of course you knew I would have to check ...

Dual-link DVI-D *1
HDMI-2.0b*1 (Max Resolution: 4096x2160 @60 Hz)
Display Port-1.4 *1 (Max Resolution: 7680x4320 @60 Hz)

Recommended PSU: 400W

Dang it anyway. :) :)

Edit: NewEgg is sold out of the 4GB versions at the moment, whew, my cash is safe for another day...

Last edited:
They will make and sell a dongle? Keeeeding, this is good news, lets hope they assign at least one person to it. Its almost there just speed it up a little.

I noticed how they skillfully avoided mentioning how audio out of the DP sounds.

Now why did you go and do that for? :)

Of course you knew I would have to check ...

Dual-link DVI-D *1
HDMI-2.0b*1 (Max Resolution: 4096x2160 @60 Hz)
Display Port-1.4 *1 (Max Resolution: 7680x4320 @60 Hz)

Recommended PSU: 400W

Dang it anyway. :) :)

Edit: NewEgg is sold out of the 4GB versions at the moment, whew, my cash is safe for another day...

It was the last one I put it in cart a micrx centxx and picked it up an hour later after work $130 out the door. They had 10 yesterday. The resolution is an upgrade, performance is negligible for the increase in power requirement but I guess at 7k you may need that boost.

It was the last one I put it in cart a micrx centxx and picked it up an hour later after work $130 out the door. They had 10 yesterday. The resolution is an upgrade, performance is negligible for the increase in power requirement but I guess at 7k you may need that boost.

Amazon has jacked the price up over Gigabyte's MSRP, so I guess they are going fast.

As far as the resolution goes, 7k is incredibly nice. Did you check if this is 10 bit color? One other subtlety is the HDMI-2.0b support. That is the full 4K resolution rather than the 3.8K pretending to be 4K. Also, the 2.0b support has the room to give you HDR-10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid-Log Gamma as long as the underlying software supports it, which should be very pleasing for the video editing crowd. This may be the sleeper budget video editing card to get.

I saw a clover test thread with joevt and Mork vom Ork back on April 30 discussing clover and ati-inject, but that was then. At least Mork has an interest in the bypass. Now that 580 has support, I hope the clover devs smooth this out. It was always said it was a clover issue, the helper card. I wonder if the resurgence of chameleon has anything to offer in the getting rid of helper card department

I'm not convinced it's a clover problem. Linux VFIO passthrough users have similar issues with AMD video cards. If something in the host (either via the boot process or the actual linux host) inits the AMD card, it basically freaks out if the VM tries to re-init it.
The workaround is to issue a pci reset to the card before attaching it to the VM, if I remember right.

Nvidia cards in the same situation have no such issues. It's regarded as an AMD specific 'quirk' that they can't handle re-initialization correctly.

Obviously there's something about real macs that bypasses the problem. Do remember that the AMD stuff in iMacs is custom, so we're not necessarily comparing the same things.

I'm surprised at how big this thread has become!:) Shows how many builders would like Radeon working.

Interested in the Chameleon versus Clover angle... A few builds ago I used a Radeon R7 240 - with Chameleon. It worked without a helper card during boot but wasn't a genuinely native card as far as can remember. It seems no current Radeon boots with all graphics unless it has a helper.

I realise my knowledge is limited, but I'd like nothing more than a natively & completely working Radeon card. Has anybody here confirmed a Chameleon build?

I'd happily go back to Chimera :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back