Contribute
Register

MacOS Monterey 12.7.3 won't boot after installation if USB devices are plugged in

How can I set the connector type from 3 to 0.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 15.41.34.png

info.plist within USBPorts.kext.

A blue, red or yellow port is Type 3. A USB-C port is type 9. Only black USB ports are type 0. Internal USB 2 ports are type 255.

Okay, well @P1LGRIM has explained which two back-panel ports are USB2.0 only - and the different USB Connector types. :thumbup:

You can use Hackintool to change a Connector type very easily by selecting the one you want from the pull-down menu.

(There are slightly more technical aspects in my earlier USB Guide, left out of the "New" guide for simplicity. Perhaps a mistake. We need a more comprehensive guide - and I'm working on one.)

Yes, if you are going to use an external USB Bluetooth dongle in HS08 then you are correct changing it to "255". It goes against the grain somewhat, to spec it as "internal" (what 255 does) but cures wake/sleep issues. HS07 needs to be "0".

To address the need to reboot to restore USB ...

Ideas:

Double-check your BIOS settings for USB.

If Hackintool does not create an SSDT-EC***.aml and only the SSDT-UIAC.aml/dsl then you do not need one. The "USBX" part. which modifies power output to the ports will be included in the USBPorts.kext itself.

Are there any other USB devices plugged-in at all?

It's common for motherboards to include built-in USB devices we have no access to, such as sensors and LEDs.

What I would do:

De-activate the USBPorts.kext.
Install the USBInjectAll.kext (version 0.7.7 or later)
Enable the XhciPortLimit quirk in the Kernel section of the config.plist.
Re-boot, load Hackintool, Select the "broom" icon, select the "circular-arrows" icon.
Now you should see all the system's USB ports.
Check HS01 to HS12 (and SS01 to SS06 but not so vital) for other attached devices.

Perhaps post a screen-grab?

:)

Okay, well @P1LGRIM has explained which two back-panel ports are USB2.0 only - and the different USB Connector types. :thumbup:

You can use Hackintool to change a Connector type very easily by selecting the one you want from the pull-down menu.

(There are slightly more technical aspects in my earlier USB Guide, left out of the "New" guide for simplicity. Perhaps a mistake. We need a more comprehensive guide - and I'm working on one.)

Yes, if you are going to use an external USB Bluetooth dongle in HS08 then you are correct changing it to "255". It goes against the grain somewhat, to spec it as "internal" (what 255 does) but cures wake/sleep issues. HS07 needs to be "0".

To address the need to reboot to restore USB ...

Ideas:

Double-check your BIOS settings for USB.

If Hackintool does not create an SSDT-EC***.aml and only the SSDT-UIAC.aml/dsl then you do not need one. The "USBX" part. which modifies power output to the ports will be included in the USBPorts.kext itself.

Are there any other USB devices plugged-in at all?

It's common for motherboards to include built-in USB devices we have no access to, such as sensors and LEDs.

What I would do:

De-activate the USBPorts.kext.
Install the USBInjectAll.kext (version 0.7.7 or later)
Enable the XhciPortLimit quirk in the Kernel section of the config.plist.
Re-boot, load Hackintool, Select the "broom" icon, select the "circular-arrows" icon.
Now you should see all the system's USB ports.
Check HS01 to HS12 (and SS01 to SS06 but not so vital) for other attached devices.

Perhaps post a screen-grab?

:)
Interesting.. Thank You very much for all Your help... I will get back to my hack in the next few days.
Thank You

Back