Contribute
Register

MacOS Monterey 12.7.3 won't boot after installation if USB devices are plugged in

Motherboard
Gigabyte B250-HD3
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Hi, I installed High Sierra 5 Years ago on my pc and I never had a problem running it. Recently, I wanted to make a fresh install of MacOS Monterey 12.7.3 on my hackintosh so I disconnected all the SSDs from my computer and connected a new one to use with Monterey.
I created the EFI for the USB myself and when I tried to install, it worked perfectly without any issue. As I rebooted without the USB i noticed some issue like bluetooth and some USB ports not working... So I moved on, trying to solve these faults so I fixed bluetooth and mapped usb ports with USBMap. Everything seems perfect except for one single thing:
The system won't boot if I have one or more USB devices plugged in and the verbose boot shows that it stops at:
Code:
IOUSBHostInterface(0x10000032e) matching deferred by IOUSBHostHIDDevice
ErrorBoot_1.jpeg

2 minutes later this block, I get all the text glitched with a prohibited sign:
ErrorBoot_2.jpeg

NOTE: I can boot but only if I shutdown the computer and I unplug all USB devices. When I'm in MacOS, all USB ports work great.

Now, I scoured the web endlessly searching something about this issue but I couldn't find anything good to fix it... Someone online says that it's like the OS can't find USBs while booting and I noticed that the majority of people who have this issue, have a chipset similar to mine.

My PC specs and EFI folder:
- CPU: i7 7700
- MB: GA-B250-HD3
- GPU: Sapphire RX 580 8GB
- RAM: Crucial 32GB DDR4
- WiFi from TP-Link PCIe card (working)
- Bluetooth USB dongle from Broadcom (working with some kexts)

Hope I explained well the issue
Could someone help?
Thank You

EFI FOLDER:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 20
Hi, I installed High Sierra 5 Years ago on my pc and I never had a problem running it. Recently, I wanted to make a fresh install of MacOS Monterey 12.7.3 on my hackintosh so I disconnected all the SSDs from my computer and connected a new one to use with Monterey.
I created the EFI for the USB myself and when I tried to install, it worked perfectly without any issue. As I rebooted without the USB i noticed some issue like bluetooth and some USB ports not working... So I moved on, trying to solve these faults so I fixed bluetooth and mapped usb ports with USBMap. Everything seems perfect except for one single thing:
The system won't boot if I have one or more USB devices plugged in and the verbose boot shows that it stops at:
Code:
View attachment 579085

2 minutes later this block, I get all the text glitched with a prohibited sign:
View attachment 579086

NOTE: I can boot but only if I shutdown the computer and I unplug all USB devices. When I'm in MacOS, all USB ports work great.

Now, I scoured the web endlessly searching something about this issue but I couldn't find anything good to fix it... Someone online says that it's like the OS can't find USBs while booting and I noticed that the majority of people who have this issue, have a chipset similar to mine.

My PC specs and EFI folder:
- CPU: i7 7700
- MB: GA-B250-HD3
- GPU: Sapphire RX 580 8GB
- RAM: Crucial 32GB DDR4
- WiFi from TP-Link PCIe card (working)
- Bluetooth USB dongle from Broadcom (working with some kexts)

Hope I explained well the issue
Could someone help?
Thank You

EFI FOLDER:
there is a 15 port limit, you have more

good usb setup guide here:

Thanks for Your reply. So my issue comes from the USBmap.kext I have? And I would have to follow this guide to re-map? Btw, I have XHCIPortLimit quirk disabled.

Thanks for Your reply. So my issue comes from the USBmap.kext I have? And I would have to follow this guide to re-map? Btw, I have XHCIPortLimit quirk disabled.
you enable XhciPortLimit to do the mapping, then when you have done it correctly, you then disable it

delete your current kext and go through the guide again

Trying now, thank You

Followed the guide and mapped the usb successfully but I still get the same issue at boot.
It stops at
Code:

Followed the guide and mapped the usb successfully but I still get the same issue at boot.
It stops at
Code:

If you are getting the same error message on screen as before with garbled writing and a forbidden sign, this shows a USB problem.

Are you using a USB keyboard?

If so when you get the error check if the Caps Lock key LED still works.

Let me know.

Upload your new USBPort.kext so I can take a look.

:)

Last edited:
If you are getting the same error message on screen as before with garbled writing and a forbidden sign, this shows a USB problem.

Are you using a USB keyboard?

If so when you get the error check if the Caps Lock key LED still works.

Let me know.

Upload your new USBPort.kext so I can take a look.

Hi, thank You for the reply. I just made a fresh install of the system and it was good (had to force reboot a few times after the OS installation to get to the Mac configuration panel because it was stopping the boot always at IOUSBHostInterface etc)...
Now I'm in MacOS and I also installed my USBPorts kext --> Tested the USB and they work fine

Yeah I'm using a USB keyboard... It's the Apple Original wired keyboard and I made the Caps Lock test but I can't see the led during boot...

The problem is that now if I reboot the computer, I get stuck on the IOUSBHostInterface string or something around that... But if I shutdown the computer and then I Turn it on, I almost always can get past that error (it blocks on IOUSBHostInterface string for about 2-4 seconds and then it goes forward). Otherwise in order to boot I have to disconnect all my USB devices from the PC.
That's very weird...

Note that I was having this issue before the USBPorts.kext installation also...

Thank You

My USBPorts.kext:

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 9
Great. :thumbup:

As far as it goes the USBPorts.kext looks okay, but I would suggest a check of the physical ports again.

Gigabyte put 2x USB2.0-only ports on the back panel. Have you included them in the USBPorts? If so they will be USB Connector type: "0" not " 3" .

There's no built-in wireless on your motherboard so do you have a PCIe card plugged in to HS08 ?

Ports HS07 and HS11 worry me because there are only a possible maximum of 6x USB3 ports with the b250 chipset. This is why I queried the Connector types above.

The next suggestion is to use the SSDT-EC*** that Hackintool creates when you export the configuration USBPorts.kext, rather than the generic Dortania one you are currently using. This will be more accurate.

That delay you experience during boot is caused by a time-out waiting for the USB sub-system to respond. This is also why the keyboard may become unresponsive for a short while during the boot process. It should however activate again before the desktop.

Hey, thanks for Your super detailed reply. I checked USB ports and they work all well.

I'm sorry but I didn't get it... In the guide that I followed there was no information about connector types: 0 or 3. How can I set the connector type from 3 to 0.
Btw, I included all my motherboard ports.
- HS08 It's a USB2 port and I wanted to plug a usb bluetooth adapter in it (BCM20702A0)
- HS07 and HS11 are USB 2 Ports.
I mapped 5x USB 3 Ports and 4x USB 2 Ports. The last one is a USB3 port but I had to remove the "SS06" because of the 15 port limit
Here a little scheme of my USB Map
Schermata 2024-02-28 alle 16.11.27.png

The "delay thing" You mentioned earlier it's 100% accurate. The keyboard is unresponsive for a short while during the boot process and then it start to work again as I'm entering the OS.

Hackintool created 3 files: "SSDT-UIAC.aml" "SSDT-UIAC.dsl" and "USBPorts.kext"
Have I to use the first one and delete "SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml"?

Thank You

Back