Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Hi!

I've the Gigabyte Z170X Designare (2 native TB and one DP input) and the GC Alpine Ridge... but I'm not able to have the Thunderbolt working with the Alpine (TB3 works fine with the native ports). I installed all the drivers, I even tried to use different PCI ports (x8, x4...). I even tried to plug Thunderbolt Docks but nothing happens...

If I plug the Vega 64 output on the GC (2xDP-in) and my LG 5k on the TB3 output, I only have video, and only a 4k resolution.

Any idea ?

Hi!

I've the Gigabyte Z170X Designare (2 native TB and one DP input) and the GC Alpine Ridge... but I'm not able to have the Thunderbolt working with the Alpine (TB3 works fine with the native ports). I installed all the drivers, I even tried to use different PCI ports (x8, x4...). I even tried to plug Thunderbolt Docks but nothing happens...

If I plug the Vega 64 output on the GC (2xDP-in) and my LG 5k on the TB3 output, I only have video, and only a 4k resolution.

Any idea ?
Tried it in Windows? Do you have any NVMe drives that may block the PCIEX4 slot?
Did you test which DisplatPorts on the Vega 64 support 4K in macOS?

Yes, I'm on the 4x PCIe and everything is plugged correctly. No Thunderbolt docks are mounting on Windows... I've re-installed all the drivers... I'm stuck. :/

The GC-ALPINE RIDGE product page ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10#ov ) doesn't list the Gigabyte Z170X Designare as compatible even though the motherboard has a Thunderbolt add-in card connector.

I think you need to talk to Gigabyte and ask them to make it work properly with a BIOS update. It
needs to work in Windows before it can work in macOS. Maybe there needs to be an option to disable the built-in Thunderbolt controller to use the add-in card's controller (because of limited PCIe resources).

I think it's too bad that the Designare has only one DisplayPort input instead of two. One of the built-in Thunderbolt controller's DisplayPort inputs is hardwired to the CPU's integrated graphics. You need both inputs to come from the same graphics controller to allow 5K.

Still, even without proper add-in card support, the DisplayPort conversion to Thunderbolt should still work on the GC-ALPINE RIDGE. Did you check that you have at least two working DisplayPorts on the Vega card that can work at the same time with two different displays?

Interesting notes from Apple:

1)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207448 "Use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with your Mac"

It explains 5K as "dual-link SST" instead of MST. I suppose this makes sense because MST means two (or more) streams over DisplayPort. A 5K display is SST because there are two DisplayPort 1.2 inputs with a single stream each. Thunderbolt 3 has two DisplayPort 1.2 inputs.

I guess 5K MST would be two DisplayPort streams over DisplayPort 1.4.

2)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208366 "Connect multiple displays to your iMac Pro"

It says four 4K SST displays or two 4K MST displays can connect to an iMac Pro. This means that the two stream limit of Thunderbolt can't be increased be encapsulating a second stream as MST into each DisplayPort input of the Thunderbolt controller. This seems weird. It might be just a limitation of macOS drivers? Should test three MST displays in Windows (or two MST displays and one SST display).

It says "One 5K display at 5120x2880 at 60Hz and up to three SST 4K displays at 4096x2304 at 60Hz *Connect the 5K display last.". I wonder if they meant to say 5K display at 4096x2304 because otherwise this doesn't seem possible (would require 5 streams but there are only two Thunderbolt buses supporting two streams each)?

Hi, Anyone fixed an issue that all functions (Audio, Camera, Brightness) were gone after sleep/wake?

Hi, Anyone fixed an issue that all functions (Audio, Camera, Brightness) were gone after sleep/wake?

I'm looking for a solution for this, too. I read some rumours injecting custom EDID can potentially solve this, but was unsuccessful in doing so yet.

Hello everybody.
I updated Mac OS to 10.13.4 and kexts.
LG 5K stopped showing.
Added WhateverGreen.kext and the screen started working again.
But instead of two monitors (I have another Full HD display Asus VW248TLB) LG 5K is duplicated (In total there are three displays).
Any ideas how to overcome it?
Another duplicated IGPU.

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 23.46.23.png
    Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 23.46.23.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 23.25.33.png
    Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 23.25.33.png
    454.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 22.50.44.png
    Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 22.50.44.png
    74 KB · Views: 218
  • Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 22.50.37.png
    Снимок экрана 2018-04-06 в 22.50.37.png
    180 KB · Views: 219
Use vit's Whatevergreen, other's not working.

I'm looking for a solution for this, too. I read some rumours injecting custom EDID can potentially solve this, but was unsuccessful in doing so yet.
Nvidia Card has no issue with that...So weird. And the power saving issue? still make my monitor not immediately on when I turn on the computer

Back