Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

This is weird, even when I had 4K resolution on my LG 5K screen, it still was showing up as LG UltraFine screen in System Report.

After switching to System Profile being Mac Pro I didn't even have to install SwitchResX - it worked as a single 5K screen out-of-the-box.

Slightly worried as I have Vega 64 on order - hope it'll work as flawlessly with it as with current Radeon.

I'll run some tests tonight with the LG 5K and report back --- this 4K testing was done on my LG 4K monitor (32UD99-W).

Well, I ran tests with my LG 5K tonight. No joy with getting 5K. Maybe it is the video card? Im am running as imac Pro 1,1.

Attachments

• IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 294
Well, I ran tests with my LG 5K tonight. No joy with getting 5K. Maybe it is the video card? Im am running as imac Pro 1,1.
It's not seeing both DisplayPort cables. Do you have both connected to the GC-ALPINE RIDGE card? First try with just one cable. Find two DisplayPorts that work on the Vega card. Then when you try two, use those two DisplayPorts.

For the list of current resolutions, I would like to see the full list of resolutions. Of interest are the list of non-scaled resolutions. Also, I would like to see the Display Information tab. Of interest there is the frequency ranges and the Scaled Resolution base. I would like to see the Custom resolutions tab to make sure you haven't tried making any new resolutions yet.

Instead of using a camera, use the screen shot key command-shift-4. First select the largest non-HDPI resolution so you can take a screenshot of the entire list using the minimum number of pixels in the most readable format. Press command-shift-4, then select the list of resolutions.

This thread has examples of the LG 5K working at 5K with the AMD Radeon VEGA Frontier Edition (#193), maybe the AMD RX580 (#242), maybe the VEGA 64 (#253 , #282). Some have mentioned changing the AMD frame buffer name, or changing the primary graphics in BIOS to make things work.

Thanks for the tip on trying different Displayports --- I connected the two Displayport cables to the two ports closest the HDMI port on the card. SwitchresX shows a HiDPI resolution of 2560x1440, and I took a screenshot after double-clicking.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.25.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.25.35 AM.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 280
Thanks for the tip on trying different Displayports --- I connected the two Displayport cables to the two ports closest the HDMI port on the card. SwitchresX shows a HiDPI resolution of 2560x1440, and I took a screenshot after double-clicking.
Looks like you have 5K working now.

So I was playing with my RX 580, and found that it has a similar problem to the Vega 64 ----- on the Vega 64, only 2 of the three DisplayPorts work, and only one of the two DisplayPorts work on the RX 580. I'm wondering if you need to do some kind of framebuffer modification through Clover in order to get all Displayports functional on a card?

Last edited:
So I was playing with my RX 580, and found that it has a similar problem to the Vega 64 ----- on the Vega 64, only 2 of the three DisplayPorts work, and only one of the two DisplayPorts work on the RX 580. I'm wondering if you need to do some kind of framebuffer modification through Clover in order to get all Displayports functional on a card?
Probably. See #242
Also maybe try reading https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

Well I tried the above tips, but no luck :( I think I'll just stick to reference-design cards (like my Vega), as those seem much more "plug-and-play".
*** UPDATE *** ---- I got the Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB card to work in 5K. Besides using the Dayman framebuffer and setting the video port count to 5, I also had to set the system type to 'mac mini 7,1'.

Back