Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Thanks for your answer !
But still not really clear, because I read that some poeple use the Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE PCI card, without connect the THB_C connector to the motherboard... and they get the 4k on the Ultrafine 5k but they are not able to use the brithness control, speakers ....

It s very confusing !

But for you I can't use the Ultrafine 5K without thunderbolt ? I means it can't work with usb-c?

thanks !!!

Hey Macovsky

Actually it is not so confusing.. The Apline card will work as long as it has power. Just connect it to a PCI Slot which has power and the basic functionality is there (you could even plug it into another machine or just any box with a powered pci).

But if you want to use the thunderbolt features (data connection / usb-c, controls etc) you'd have to connect it over a tb3 header.

Otherwise it just functions as a converter for the display port signal - which may be fine but - for me - would miss this big feature.

Hey Macovsky

Actually it is not so confusing.. The Apline card will work as long as it has power. Just connect it to a PCI Slot which has power and the basic functionality is there (you could even plug it into another machine or just any box with a powered pci).

But if you want to use the thunderbolt features (data connection / usb-c, controls etc) you'd have to connect it over a tb3 header.

Otherwise it just functions as a converter for the display port signal - which may be fine but - for me - would miss this big feature.

Hi Alchemistics !

Great! Thanks for your answer.

So, to resume, I can use one of the one of those PCI / Thunderbolt cards, to use the Ultrafine 5K screen (with probably limitation of 4K/30htz?), but without USB-C speakers, sound and brightness control.

Thanks !

Hi Alchemistics !

Great! Thanks for your answer.

So, to resume, I can use one of the one of those PCI / Thunderbolt cards, to use the Ultrafine 5K screen (with probably limitation of 4K/30htz?), but without USB-C speakers, sound and brightness control.

Thanks !

Ya welcome.

Probably yes, it should work based on the history in this channel (please research). Maybe you even can get a 5k signal using two DP connectors.
I'd go for the alpine, and maybe in the future you can upgrade to a mobo with a thunderbolt header etc.

Ya welcome.

Probably yes, it should work based on the history in this channel (please research). Maybe you even can get a 5k signal using two DP connectors.
I'd go for the alpine, and maybe in the future you can upgrade to a mobo with a thunderbolt header etc.

Thanks again for you answer !
ok ok well noted, I ordered the Alpine card, and I ll see.
On my mobo I have a port JTBT1 and appararently the constructor of my mobo suggest to plug it to the AOC... let s see !

Just a last question, you say that i can get a 5K connecting two DP connectors, I read that on the previous post, but who to connect 2 DP connectors with a GTX 1050 TI ?

There is only 3 out connection: DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort
So I plug the DisplayPort to the miniDP on the ALPINE card and if I want to plug another input on the Alpine card to get the 5k, Should I plug also the DVI to the MiniDP ? It s the way to do it?

thanks!!

Thanks again for you answer !
ok ok well noted, I ordered the Alpine card, and I ll see.
On my mobo I have a port JTBT1 and appararently the constructor of my mobo suggest to plug it to the AOC... let s see !

Just a last question, you say that i can get a 5K connecting two DP connectors, I read that on the previous post, but who to connect 2 DP connectors with a GTX 1050 TI ?

So I plug the DisplayPort to the miniDP on the ALPINE card and if I want to plug another input on the Alpine card to get the 5k, Should I plug also the DVI to the MiniDP ? It s the way to do it?

thanks!!

Great. Good luck!

There are different port layouts based on the gpu branding.
I'd say the chance of getting 5k with one DP to mDP and another (ie. HDMI to mDP with a converter) connection is pretty low.

Maybe someone has experience with this?

When you'd try it, please share your results =)..

Some motherboards like the MSI X299 Tomahawk that have a Thunderbolt 3 header don't support Thunderbolt 3 at all anyway (no options in the BIOS to enable it). In that case, the add-in card functions only as a converter for the display port signal.

You need two DisplayPorts. An HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2 converter costs $200 and doesn't work for this application (maybe it can work if you fake the EDID from the converter to look like the EDID from one of the DisplayPorts of the LG 5K - but no one has tried that - it depends on if the nvidia driver will accept this faked EDID on the HDMI output).

macOS Nvidia drivers don't support 5K dual DisplayPort displays except for the discontinued Dell 5K display. That's why a patch was created to make Nvidia work with the LG 5K at 5K resolution. Otherwise the LG 5K will only work at 4K.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-gtx1080-lg-ultrafine-5k-full-5k-60hz-success.240730/

macOS AMD drivers support the LG 5K at 5K resolution without a patch.

Hi everyone,

I got the LG 5k to work with my rx vega, but it's listed as two monitors in my displays.
I think it has something to do with the two displayport outputs going into my Alpine Ridge card.
Does anyone know a way to fix this in switchresx or using another method?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I got the LG 5k to work with my rx vega, but it's listed as two monitors in my displays.
I think it has something to do with the two displayport outputs going into my Alpine Ridge card.
Does anyone know a way to fix this in switchresx or using another method?

Thanks!
What kexts do you use?
You need to update clover and delete WhateverGreen kext.

Back