Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Hi!

I've the Gigabyte Z170X Designare (2 native TB and one DP input) and the GC Alpine Ridge... but I'm not able to have the Thunderbolt working with the Alpine (TB3 works fine with the native ports). I installed all the drivers, I even tried to use different PCI ports (x8, x4...). I even tried to plug Thunderbolt Docks but nothing happens...

If I plug the Vega 64 output on the GC (2xDP-in) and my LG 5k on the TB3 output, I only have video, and only a 4k resolution.

Any idea ?

I'm exactly in the same situation. I'm pretty pissed at Gigabyte. I even exchanged the 'Gigabyte Z170X Designare' because I thought it was a faulty motherboard. Turns out you can not run a 'GC Alpine Ridge' in a 'Gigabyte Z170X Designare'. The 'GC Alpine Ridge' isnt even recognized. I tried macOS (High Sierra), Linux (Kernel 4.15) and Windows 10. Nothing works! But for what purpose is the "THB_C" header included? It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Hi guys
If I run two DP cable out of RX580 with this TB3 adapter it will work to get 5K?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey everyone

Could we gather (or sum up) informations about working builds?
i.e. Mobo / CPU / GPU / Thunderbolt-card combination and connection / working controls & Issues?

So folks who do have an LG 5K Screen standing around can use them on their hackintoshs?
That would be very helpful..

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Could we gather (or sum up) informations about working builds?
i.e. Mobo / CPU / GPU / Thunderbolt-card combination and connection / working controls & Issues?

Asrock Z270M EXTREME 4 + i7 7700k + Asrock AIC + RX580 - works very well - been using it since December 2017 each day as working machine - getting full 5k 60hz.

Sadly as of latest firmware upgrade on the LG 5k the built-in camera, speakers and brightness control don't work.

Z370 8700k, gigabyte alpine AIC card, lg 5k, can't boot into macOS.
Can only boot with NV_Disable=1, the build works when using a monitor connected directly to 1080ti without Thunderbolt 3 AIC PCIe card.

Sometimes it stuck at the stop sign. Sometimes it stuck at first stage of the boot with the apple logo and half of the booting indication bar.

I can always boot into high sierra with the installation usb because the nv webdriver is disabled no matter what I do.

Before using MultiBeast to build the driver, I can boot into macOS with 5K resolution, but the graphic is not properly driven, there are tears.

I used a new version of clover to install aptiomemoryfix and remove the OsxAptioFix2Drv but it doesn't change anything.

-=========
update: can boot into high sierra if I only use one display port to alpine card, but this way I can only get 2k resolution.

Can also boot into macos without emulating nvram, get 5k but graphics is not properly driven.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hi,
I jump in this topic, because I would like to have some information concerning the Ultrafine LG 5K and the way to plug in on a computer without Thunderbolt 3 on the motherboard ...

I read a lot of topics, and it s still not really clear for me.

what I saw is there is 3 PCI-e cards who could work:

Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE
Asus ThunderboltEX 3
Sunix UPD2018

For the Gigabyte I read that we don't need to plug the card to the motherboard by TB3_C connection? To plug it on the PCIe is enough ? Is it true?
Because my motherboard: Super Micro X9DR3-f doesn't have this kind of connection on the Motherboard.

Is it the same about the Asus? Or we must have a TB_C to make it work?

I saw that the Sunix apparently works after plug to the PCIe port with the Ultrafine 4K. But is this card is also working with the Ultrafine 5K?

To resume, I have a PC with Super Micro X9dr3-F mobo, dual CPU E5-2697v2 and a GTX 1050 TI, and I would like to use my Ultrafine 5K with this PC (with windows for the moment)! Even I got 4K because of the connection I'll be happy...

If someone could give me a clear answer, of what it could work with my configuration ... :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot !

I know the first two Thunderbolt 3 PCIe cards require a motherboard with a compatible TB3 header - a must have.

Looking up the Sunix card, it is not a TB3 card, just a USB 3.1 card with a Type-C Port which can carry a DP 1.2 signal with a maximum 4K resolution. So, IIRC, the LG 5K monitor requires a TB3 connection, not a USB 3.1 Type-C connection.

I know the first two Thunderbolt 3 PCIe cards require a motherboard with a compatible TB3 header - a must have.

Looking up the Sunix card, it is not a TB3 card, just a USB 3.1 card with a Type-C Port which can carry a DP 1.2 signal with a maximum 4K resolution. So, IIRC, the LG 5K monitor requires a TB3 connection, not a USB 3.1 Type-C connection.

Thanks for your answer !
But still not really clear, because I read that some poeple use the Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE PCI card, without connect the THB_C connector to the motherboard... and they get the 4k on the Ultrafine 5k but they are not able to use the brithness control, speakers ....

It s very confusing !

But for you I can't use the Ultrafine 5K without thunderbolt ? I means it can't work with usb-c?

thanks !!!

Last edited:
Back