Contribute
Register

Jays MonkeyBook Pro - The Ultimate Sony VPC-SE CustoMac Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on my phone.

I succeeded the installation. I didn't try to boot.
I let you know in few hours.

cheers :)

Hi,

So I installed Mavericks. Great news.
To do that :
- I plugged my external HDD with the two cable (not only the usb connector, but also with power)
- I set Stamina mode
- I add code just before iGPU, like your DSDT (enclosed my new DSDT)

EDIT : Below, the code added :

Code:
                Name (ELCT, Zero)                Name (HVID, Zero)
                Name (HDID, Zero)
                OperationRegion (PCIS, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x0100)
                Field (PCIS, DWordAcc, Lock, Preserve)
                {
                    DVID,   16, 
                    Offset (0x2C), 
                    SVID,   16, 
                    SDID,   16, 
                    Offset (0x4C), 
                    WVID,   16, 
                    WDID,   16
                }
                Name (B0D1, Zero)
                OperationRegion (PCAP, SystemMemory, Or (PEBS, 0x8000, B0D1), 0xC0)
                Field (PCAP, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                    Offset (0xB0), 
                    LCTL,   16
                }
                OperationRegion (GPIO, SystemIO, 0x0500, 0x60)
                Field (GPIO, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)
                {
                    Offset (0x0C), 
                        ,   17, 
                    PO17,   1, 
                    Offset (0x38), 
                        ,   3, 
                    PO35,   1
                }
                Method (PWRE, 0, Serialized)
                {
                    Store (Zero, PO17)
                    Store (One, PO35)
                    Sleep (0x96)
                    Store (One, PO17)
                    Sleep (0x64)
                }
                Method (PWRD, 0, Serialized)
                {
                    Store (Zero, PO17)
                    Store (Zero, PO35)
                }
                Method (_ON, 0, Serialized)
                {
                    PWRE ()
                    Store (Zero, LNKD)
                    While (LLess (LNKS, 0x07))
                    {
                        Sleep (One)
                    }
                    Store (HVID, WVID)
                    Store (HDID, WDID)
                    Or (And (ELCT, 0x43), And (LCTL, 0xFFBC), LCTL)
                    Notify (PEG0, Zero)
                }
                Method (_OFF, 0, Serialized)
                {
                    Store (LCTL, ELCT)
                    Store (SVID, HVID)
                    Store (SDID, HDID)
                    Store (One, LNKD)
                    While (LLess (LNKS, Zero))
                    {
                        Sleep (One)
                    }
                    PWRD ()
                    Notify (PEG0, Zero)
                }

And this after compiling :

Code:
            OperationRegion (RPCI, PCI_Config, Zero, 0xF0)            Field (RPCI, DWordAcc, Lock, Preserve)
            {
                Offset (0xB0), 
                ASPM,   2, 
                    ,   2, 
                LNKD,   1
            }
            OperationRegion (RPCX, SystemMemory, XBAS, 0x8400)
            Field (RPCX, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
            {
                Offset (0x8214), 
                Offset (0x8216), 
                LNKS,   4
            }

After installing all drivers, I can't now boot on Mac. I can choose on bootloader everything, but I have infinite loop.
I know my HDD is very slow (plugged in USB, and it is IDE HDD), also this is only 9,2 Go.
Before restarting, there was 200 Mo free. Do you think the problem comes from that ?
And sometime, the HDD do not boot. I directly have window. Most of the time actually.

I want to buy new SSD like you did with the caddy. If I plugged the new SSD, should I need to do new DSDT ? or just few edits ?

Thank you for your help.
That really amazing and interesting follow the guide, step-by-step.

Cheers
Adrien

Ps: @RehabMan, the video was just to show the error, but I stopped before. My english is not very clear:banghead:. I was able to access start of install.

View attachment DSDT.zip

After installing all drivers, I can't now boot on Mac. I can choose on bootloader everything, but I have infinite loop.
I know my HDD is very slow (plugged in USB, and it is IDE HDD), also this is only 9,2 Go.
Before restarting, there was 200 Mo free. Do you think the problem comes from that ?
And sometime, the HDD do not boot. I directly have window. Most of the time actually.

I want to buy new SSD like you did with the caddy. If I plugged the new SSD, should I need to do new DSDT ? or just few edits ?

Thank you for your help.
That really amazing and interesting follow the guide, step-by-step.

Cheers
Adrien
If I understand correctley you are booting OSX from a USB connected 10GB Hard Drive ?, In theory it should still work however its possible that a USB glitch could upset the OSX kernel, its not something I would try to do myself but its an interesting idea, but you wouldn't want to run OSX off of it for too long ?

At 10GB you going to be running with a very small swap file .. etc so i would say that you've pretty much nailed the install but you really need to install it on a bigger / faster drive. Using a caddy for the HDD and installing a SSD in its place is real easy and you will be amazed at how quickly OSX runs, you can get a 128GB drive in the uk for under £80 these days, about us$100 i guess ?. changing the drivers should not affect the dsdt critically as both are going through the AHCI interface, however that said it always worth getting a new native DSDT and checking the diffs - just to be on the safe side.

Well done in getting as far as you have, it just go to show what a little bit of time and effort can achive.

Cheers
Jay

Hi guys,

Well done for your work also !

I will try tomorrow with external HDD bigger. I used the 10 Go because I had only this one.
I also ordered Hyperx 3K SSD and a caddy for Tuesday. Hope that will work and I didn't spend money for nothing :p. Maybe I will need your help after, if you agree.
Shall you want testing your DSDT patch... on Sony Sb in the future, I could help.

I let you know.

Cheers,
Adrien

EDIT : The errors I had with external HDD were about "freeblks" and "disconnecting group". Something like that. It appears to free space yes.

Hi guys,

Hope you have a merry Christmas.

I have my new SSD and the caddy.
I have installed Mac on the new SSD (which is in the caddy).

2 problems :

- I cannot see the new HDD (in the caddy) in the bios, I don't know why, but it is recognised by Windows, and I also installed successfully Mac OS on the disk. The problem is at the startup of the computer. I need to use the USB key prepared with Unibeast to select the HDD to boot Mac. I cannot see your bootloader.
To solve it, I think I need install Windows on the new SSD (in the caddy), and install Mac on the SSD (Toshiba, factory SSD already in my computer). This one is of course detected by the bios.

- Second problem, when I start up Mac, I had an error about IOBluetooth... (I enclose pictures)
However it can boot using safe mode "-v -x".
It may come from my Intel Centrino Advance card (factory wifi card) ?
I will buy new PCI like you said I think. Is it easy to install ? I have a look, and it seems to be.

Otherwise, Mac Os works well. But I do not spend so much time playing on, most of the time I tried solving my problems :p.

Cheers,
Adrien

1.jpg2.JPG

Hi guys,

Hope you have a merry Christmas.

I have my new SSD and the caddy.
I have installed Mac on the new SSD (which is in the caddy).

2 problems :

- I cannot see the new HDD (in the caddy) in the bios, I don't know why, but it is recognised by Windows, and I also installed successfully Mac OS on the disk. The problem is at the startup of the computer. I need to use the USB key prepared with Unibeast to select the HDD to boot Mac. I cannot see your bootloader.
To solve it, I think I need install Windows on the new SSD (in the caddy), and install Mac on the SSD (Toshiba, factory SSD already in my computer). This one is of course detected by the bios.

Maybe your BIOS doesn't allow booting to the "CD" SATA that has an HDD installed. But more likely, you do not have booting from CD enabled in BIOS.

- Second problem, when I start up Mac, I had an error about IOBluetooth... (I enclose pictures)
However it can boot using safe mode "-v -x".
It may come from my Intel Centrino Advance card (factory wifi card) ?
I will buy new PCI like you said I think. Is it easy to install ? I have a look, and it seems to be.

It is a likely graphics problem (or caused by VT-d enabled). Boot with:
IGPEnabler=N -x -v -f UseKernelCache=N dart=0

Until you get your system configured properly (ig-platform-id set per your screen resolution) and or add dart=0 to your kernel flags (or disable VT-d).

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Adrien
Adrien,

The fix is real easy, you need to swap the drives around, the Sony Bios always assumes that sata device 0 is a hdd and sata device 1 is a cdr. So move the factory fit hdd to the caddy and install the ssd in its place, the bios will boot the ssd which will boot chimera and you will then be able to select both OS. do not install windows boot loader on to sdd, let chimera deal with windows.

Happy Xmas
Jay

Thank you for you help !

I will swipe SSD, just one problem, inside : the SSD is just a card (very thin and without a box) and in the caddy : it is a box (2,5"). I will find a solution.

I tryed kernel flags, and that works. This is my boot.plist :

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>darkwake=0 dart=0</string>
    <key>Boot Banner</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>oem_theme</string>
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>DropSSDT</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>"1366x768x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

It is not so fast to boot but that works. And my bluetooth too. I am using my iPhone and MyWi to use wifi at the moment.

Does my boot.plist is correct ?

Second : I really want to fix the brightness (no sound also). That doesn't work (my eyes :( ). Maybe because I don't choose your Sony Keyboard ? My fn keys are maybe different.

Cheers and cheers again :D !
Adrien

Ps : I am also trying to enable multitouch (with ALPS kext) and battery percentage. I cannot find the multitouch shortcut after kext installed, and for the battery, the indicator won't appear.
:)

Enclosed : my DSDT.View attachment DSDT.aml.zip

I will swipe SSD, just one problem, inside : the SSD is just a card (very thin and without a box) and in the caddy : it is a box (2,5"). I will find a solution.

My Guide specifies that you should replace the factory fit HDD with a standard 2.5" SSD as i showed in the pictures, I haven't seen the board only SSD's - only of use if your performing extreme modding and short on space i would image, not really suited for lap top HDD replacement, maybe you could try a 1.8" sata to 2.5" sata case adapter and mount your SSD board inside the metal case and loose the 1.8"-2.5" adapter pcb (if not needed) ?, see here:.

It is not so fast to boot but that works. And my bluetooth too. I am using my iPhone and MyWi to use wifi at the moment.

The Sony BIOS by default throttles the bit rate on the the 2nd sata port to 1.5Gb, normally this is used by the DVD/RW which would be plenty, apparently it uses less power so better battery endurance. The internal SATA port (0) the one that the factory fit HDD is attached to is limited to 2Gbs, no solution for sata iii yet.

Second : I really want to fix the brightness (no sound also). That doesn't work (my eyes :( ). Maybe because I don't choose your Sony Keyboard ? My fn keys are maybe different.

Try adjusting brightness useing fn+<del> & fn+<pause/break> - Read the 'Known Issues' section 6 of the main guide for further info on the fn keys, if it doesn't work try the attached DSDT (I made a small change) if that still does not work you may need extra DSDT edits, apart from the vol+/- & mute, all the fn key functions are handeled at a BIOS level on the sony, they don't generate any key codes that OSX can see, so no way to remap them, which could be done using ReHabMans VoodooPS2 kext info.plist edit

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• Adrain-DSDT.aml.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 78
I will observe more the computer and the factory fit SSD. I am actually not sure to take the risk swiping disks.

I understand. That little bit annoying that everything is blocked inside the sony.

Nothing works with pause or dell and fn. However in keyboard shortcuts, everything is correctly set.
I will search more about. I need also to fix multitouch. The kext seems to be installed.
So for the brightness, no way to set it ? (sorry I am not sure that I have understood)

Cheers,
Adrien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back