Contribute
Register

Jays MonkeyBook Pro - The Ultimate Sony VPC-SE CustoMac Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, everythings working great on the SA for me now, including the alps trackpad drivers. (using the Rehabman merge version from http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/)

Some remarks:

1.) Sleep seems to take a really long time to happen. I don't remember it being this slow previously.

There is a 20 second delay from "sleep request" to "sleep begin" in Mavericks.

2.) Swipes work, which is really cool. Is there a way to change the keys the swipes are mapped to though? I had a peek through the kext Info.plist, but it looks pretty complicated.

There is, but why do you want to change them?

3.) Trackpad works nicely, and can be configured from the trackpad prefpane. It also seems to be configurable from the synaptics prefpane included with the kext, but these changes seem not to persist across reboots?

You have to install a startup daemon to make them stick. It is pretty easy to make the trackpad not work at all with the prefpane (which is why I don't include it in my builds... until I have a chance to fix all the bugs), so probably not recommended.

4.) This is an odd one: With the 2 finger scolling, it seems coasting is inverted. So if I flick upwards, it will scroll down while my fingers are in contact with the pad, but then it will coast upwards afterwards.

Probably a bug in the ALPS version, but it is not that way in Synaptics. Check your setting in SysPrefs->Trackpad to see if it makes a difference.

5.) Win key and alt are reversed. This used to happen, but there was a key in the PS2 keyboard kext Info.plist that changed it back. Doesnt seem to be present in this version. It can be changed within mac OS, but it makes more sense to me to do it in the kext.

What do you mean reversed? In my version, the ordering of the keys matches the physical layout of a Mac keyboard. Ctrl, Option, Command, SpaceBar.

HI, Rehabman, It's so excited finding VoodooPS2 working for ALPS, but not for my SA, which is same with @CyberWalrus'.

Could you please point out which step is wrong or something missed?

1. Remove AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext & ApplePS2Controller.kext, which works fine with my [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, sans-serif]keyboard and trackpad as a mouse before.

2. Install bpedman's VoodooPS2Controller.kext from
[/FONT]http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/

3. sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons sudo cp VoodooPS2Daemon /usr/bin

4. rebuild permissions and kernel cache

5. Reboot... Neither keyboard nor trackpad working now:crazy:

HI, Rehabman, It's so excited finding VoodooPS2 working for ALPS, but not for my SA, which is same with @CyberWalrus'.

Could you please point out which step is wrong or something missed?

1. Remove AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext & ApplePS2Controller.kext, which works fine with my [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, sans-serif]keyboard and trackpad as a mouse before.

2. Install bpedman's VoodooPS2Controller.kext from
[/FONT]http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/

3. sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons sudo cp VoodooPS2Daemon /usr/bin

4. rebuild permissions and kernel cache

5. Reboot... Neither keyboard nor trackpad working now:crazy:

Check to see that the drivers are loading: 'kextstat|grep -y ps2' from Terminal. Also check system.log to verify your cache build correctly. Check system.log for startup messages.

I don't know the details on the version you are using, but I had to make changes to the code/build files to get it to work in Mavericks. Perhaps that has not been done with the version you're using. You could always build my version from source (bpedman_merge branch).... I just merged 'master' into 'bpedman_merge' so it should be up-to-date (note: not tested).

Ok, everythings working great on the SA for me now, including the alps trackpad drivers. (using the Rehabman merge version from http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/)

Some remarks:

1.) Sleep seems to take a really long time to happen. I don't remember it being this slow previously.
Yep as RehabMan pointed out that seems to be an undocumented feature with Mavericks

2.) Swipes work, which is really cool. Is there a way to change the keys the swipes are mapped to though? I had a peek through the kext Info.plist, but it looks pretty complicated.
3.) Trackpad works nicely, and can be configured from the trackpad prefpane. It also seems to be configurable from the synaptics prefpane included with the kext, but these changes seem not to persist across reboots?
4.) This is an odd one: With the 2 finger scolling, it seems coasting is inverted. So if I flick upwards, it will scroll down while my fingers are in contact with the pad, but then it will coast upwards afterwards.

Some strange behaviour there indeed ? - RehabMan is your best bet for sorting touchpad issues out

5.) Win key and alt are reversed. This used to happen, but there was a key in the PS2 keyboard kext Info.plist that changed it back. Doesn't seem to be present in this version. It can be changed within mac OS, but it makes more sense to me to do it in the kext.

The keyboard profile I included in the Post Install Archive should sort that out, however I have noticed that for sometime now multibeast creates 'keyboard.dynlib' in /extra/modules which seems to override a user keyboard profile. For me I just deleted 'keyboard.dynlib' in /extra/modules and then my keyboard profile worked again.

Glad that the build is working for you. Could you send me your DSDT so I can compare it to mine and find the diffs, it would help a lot with my DSDT patches repo and the guide i'm creating for beginners to be able to patch there own DSDT.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks RehabMan, the kext in ALPS folder downloaded from bpedman's post cannot be loaded in Mavericks, it's 1.8.3 version. But the 1.8.8 version from RehabManMerge folder works wells. Now I can use two fingers scrolling. Although the sticky function not as good as magic trackpad, but it's much better than Windows'. Great work!:D

Thanks RehabMan, the kext in ALPS folder downloaded from bpedman's post cannot be loaded in Mavericks, it's 1.8.3 version. But the 1.8.8 version from RehabManMerge folder works wells. Now I can use two fingers scrolling. Although the sticky function not as good as magic trackpad, but it's much better than Windows'. Great work!:D

Hey good to know the bpedman_merge branch is working. I have no hardware so can't test it. Maybe with the next build, I'll build off the merged sources.

There is, but why do you want to change them?

I guess its so I can have both the keyboard shortcuts I'd like and the swipe gestures.

You have to install a startup daemon to make them stick. It is pretty easy to make the trackpad not work at all with the prefpane (which is why I don't include it in my builds... until I have a chance to fix all the bugs), so probably not recommended.

I have the startup script active I think, but it doesnt seem to stick, at least in UI. Not a big concern for now I guess.

Probably a bug in the ALPS version, but it is not that way in Synaptics. Check your setting in SysPrefs->Trackpad to see if it makes a difference.

Nothings helping there. I'll have a poke around the source, the initial test build I made from your bpedman_merge branch seems to KP at boot, but I'll see if I can get something working.

What do you mean reversed? In my version, the ordering of the keys matches the physical layout of a Mac keyboard. Ctrl, Option, Command, SpaceBar.

Fair enough. Thats the order they are by default I guess. I think I just have some preconception that meta should be cmd on mac. Still, there did used to be a flag in the voodooPS2 kext to flip them around without changing it in the OS settings, which would feel nicer.

@Jaymonkey

I literally just added in my EDID and some patches for my wifi card to your DSDT. I'm pretty sure thats the extent of the changes between SA/SB/SC/SD, they all share the same bios versions after all.

Code:
                        Buffer (0x80)
                        {
                            /* 0000 */    0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 
                            /* 0008 */    0x4D, 0xD9, 0xFA, 0x06, 0x0D, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                            /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x0C, 0x01, 0x03, 0x80, 0x1D, 0x10, 0xFF, 
                            /* 0018 */    0x2F, 0x00, 0x00, 0xA0, 0x57, 0x49, 0x9B, 0x26, 
                            /* 0020 */    0x10, 0x48, 0x4F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x01, 
                            /* 0028 */    0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 
                            /* 0030 */    0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x0E, 0x27, 
                            /* 0038 */    0x40, 0xB8, 0x60, 0x84, 0x23, 0x30, 0x1E, 0x1E, 
                            /* 0040 */    0x11, 0x00, 0x25, 0xA5, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00, 0x18, 
                            /* 0048 */    0x7A, 0x23, 0x40, 0x2C, 0x61, 0x84, 0x38, 0x30, 
                            /* 0050 */    0x1E, 0x3C, 0x14, 0x00, 0x25, 0xA5, 0x10, 0x00, 
                            /* 0058 */    0x00, 0x18, 0x62, 0x1C, 0x40, 0x2C, 0x61, 0x84, 
                            /* 0060 */    0x38, 0x30, 0x1E, 0x3C, 0x14, 0x00, 0x25, 0xA5, 
                            /* 0068 */    0x10, 0x00, 0x00, 0x18, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                            /* 0070 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                            /* 0078 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
                        }

I guess its so I can have both the keyboard shortcuts I'd like and the swipe gestures.

They are configurable in the keyboard kext's Info.plist.

Nothings helping there. I'll have a poke around the source, the initial test build I made from your bpedman_merge branch seems to KP at boot, but I'll see if I can get something working.

It is not uncommon to get a kp on first install. Something to do with bad kernel cache build or something. Usually best to boot "-f" after installing kexts.

Fair enough. Thats the order they are by default I guess. I think I just have some preconception that meta should be cmd on mac. Still, there did used to be a flag in the voodooPS2 kext to flip them around without changing it in the OS settings, which would feel nicer.

For touch typists like me, the physical layout is more important than the labels on the keys.

The flag is still there in the Info.plist, but it is kind of silly given you can reverse them from SysPrefs -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys.

Hi CyberWalrus, I noticed you mentioned "swipe" . But I have not found any 2 fingers or 3 fingers swipe function like magic trackpad on my SA. I thought I am using same RehabmanMerge kext and same SA laptop. So, what's function of it?

Hi CyberWalrus, I noticed you mentioned "swipe" . But I have not found any 2 fingers or 3 fingers swipe function like magic trackpad on my SA. I thought I am using same RehabmanMerge kext and same SA laptop. So, what's function of it?

SysPrefs -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Instead of typing a key sequence, do the swipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back