Contribute
Register

iTunes HD content not working on my ivy Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all we have are suspicions. The console is of no help at all, and all we have so far are behaviors. Like when I enable my Haswell's GPU, but leave my discrete GPU on (an EVGA GTX 570, mobo is a Gigabyte z78 ud5h) I get audio but blank video. Console indicates zilch. Tried all firmwares including new iMac 14,2 definitions and nothing changes. The issue is clearly something to do with the HDCP scheme but without any warnings. The only potential resolution is to have the equipment and engineering know-how to somehow get into the HDCP handshake traffic and see what, if anything is happening there or if it's as simple as Apple locking out external displays. I don't see that as being the situation though given the new Mac Pro's coming out. The number of people on planet Earth with the wherewithall and ability to do such troubleshooting are probably a handful. However some of these same people are the ones who first got Windows installed on an iMac pre-bootcamp and also came up with the Hackintosh foundations. Without their involvement I fear the whole Hackintosh scene is headed for oblivion, and that might be part of what Apple's up to with all this BS.

It's a damn shame. I just don't see myself making much use out of a Hack until the issue is fixed. I'm considering starting a bounty on this problem given it's complete lack of attention from a development side.

You make some very pertinent points there. I don't have the low-level expertise for this but the HDCP handshake sounds viable. For myself I've proved it's not the hardware per se, it has to be OS. Why external monitors might be locked out (did occur to me) especially if they can be connected via HDMI is baffling. They work on Mac Pros and Windows machines.

The Hackintosh scene is getting more and more complicated. Each iteration of OS brings more and more problems when you'd expect things to get smoother. The genuine hardware doesn't change that much after all. My Hackintosh has been running for over 18-months now and things have never been so difficult to fathom or rectify. I think the last time it ran everything perfectly - allbeit except iTunes DRM video - was 10.8.3. Since then there have been serious problems, making the effort and meagre gains seem less and less attractive.

I'm not wining as such, some people like to "tinker" as a hobby. It is better to travel than arrive etc. Getting things done though, is a pain. I can be working, the door-bell goes. I get up to see who's there, come back and find the Hack has gone to sleep and won't wake. Power-buttoning is my only option. Not good. And if I spend money on the iTunes store I have to watch my purchase on a Windows PC.

You make some very pertinent points there. I don't have the low-level expertise for this but the HDCP handshake sounds viable. For myself I've proved it's not the hardware per se, it has to be OS. Why external monitors might be locked out (did occur to me) especially if they can be connected via HDMI is baffling. They work on Mac Pros and Windows machines.

The Hackintosh scene is getting more and more complicated. Each iteration of OS brings more and more problems when you'd expect things to get smoother. The genuine hardware doesn't change that much after all. My Hackintosh has been running for over 18-months now and things have never been so difficult to fathom or rectify. I think the last time it ran everything perfectly - allbeit except iTunes DRM video - was 10.8.3. Since then there have been serious problems, making the effort and meagre gains seem less and less attractive.

I'm not wining as such, some people like to "tinker" as a hobby. It is better to travel than arrive etc. Getting things done though, is a pain. I can be working, the door-bell goes. I get up to see who's there, come back and find the Hack has gone to sleep and won't wake. Power-buttoning is my only option. Not good. And if I spend money on the iTunes store I have to watch my purchase on a Windows PC.

What about if you're connected to two monitors one via HDMI the other through DVI? Both are using the HD4000, and I'm getting a green screen with sound on both displays, would this HDMI handshake issue still come into play even if I'm connected with DVI?

What about if you're connected to two monitors one via HDMI the other through DVI? Both are using the HD4000, and I'm getting a green screen with sound on both displays, would this HDMI handshake issue still come into play even if I'm connected with DVI?

What you are seeing has nothing to do with what cable you are using to the monitor as long it is HDCP compliant. On the latter motherboards i.e 7&8 series the DRM is causing the problem through Mac OS X. Using the same configuration on Windows allows it to play. My only explanation after massive testing is that the HDCP is relevant to the port also. This is just conjecture as it hasn't been proven. For me it is the only explanation as to why the content will not play. Glad you guys are continuing testing different methods. I have spent hours trying to figure it out to no avail.

A solution is to buy an AppleTV (not the cheapest) and use airplay. This works.

If u look at a authentomac that is connected to hdmi and generate a system profile .spx file and the open that in text edit you will see that there is a hdcp handshake taking place ...this does not happen on our custom macs . Maybe injection of hdcp down the line might be possible. Even when I had this working on my Z77 it still was not doing this Handshake.

I too would love to see a solution to the iTunes video problem. Here's just another bit of information to add to the mix. On my rig (i7 3770k, gtx-660 ti, ga-z77x up5 th, OS 10.8.5), I can play all HD videos and content when playing them through iTunes on my Windows 7 virtual machine using Parallels. And of course no protected videos play on the Mac side. Not sure if this will help anyone, but just wanted to share anyway.

Cheers :banghead:

I've got a hack running (see sig) and also a 24 inch apple Cinema Display. I'm happy to undergo some basic tests to help solve this. Maybe if it connects to a genuine apple monitor it'll work through some settings?

right now it isn't working but I haven't got the knowledge to determine wether changing it to a different graphics card ( such as a hd4000) or a specific type of connection will get the all clear regarding hdcp.

I'm getting this same fault on my z68x-UD3H-B3 with HD capable monitor connected to the HD3000 via HDMI. FWIW...

The black screen, no garbling.

10.9 and itunes 11.1.3

Today I upgraded to Mavericks (10.9) and iTunes 11.1.3 and now all my HD DRM content plays perfectly!!!!!!!!

HAPPY DAYS!!!!

But I have no idea why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back