Contribute
Register

iTunes HD content not working on my ivy Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to get info on your configuration as well, what boot loader, etc. tried switching my symbiosis to that Mac Pro model and my system kernel panics on boot, assuming there's something in that hardware profile so radically different it wont jive with my board.

Are you saying that you can get iTunes DRM videos to play when you select Mac Pro and have a discreet Video cards?

Well i have few music video that i bought from iTunes and i can play it on my system and i also doable my other gpu so my system profile only show me my PCI-E Graphic card. I use mac pro 5.1 smbios because my system looks like mac pro so any body else should use smbios as their system spec. i never said use only mac pro smbios.

I'd love to get info on your configuration as well, what boot loader, etc. tried switching my symbiosis to that Mac Pro model and my system kernel panics on boot, assuming there's something in that hardware profile so radically different it wont jive with my board.

my system spec:

CPU : i5 4570
RAM : 16 GB DDR3 Corsair
SSD : 120 GB ADATA
MotherBoard : Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with F8 Bios Update
GPU : Asus Geforce GT 640 2GB DDR3

I use mac pro 5.1 smbios because my system looks like mac pro so anybody else should use smbios as their system spec. i never said use only mac pro smbios. if you have laptop use mac book pro and if you want your system be an iMac use iMac smbios.

I have few video that i bought in iTunes and they play normally. Also i had a problem that not even my quicktime and safari couldn't play a video normally not even youtube. i use vlc to play my video and chrome to play youtube or other site video when i had Mac Pro 6,1 smbios. I try every thing but out of luck. till i change the smbios to 5,1 and they play video without any problem.

To be Honest i didn't have time to download my HD movies from iTunes to check that one too because of my bad internet speed but i download it and let you know if it works on HD too.

Thanks so much for the reply.

This is a super frustrating issue on my end as I'm using my hack as a media server, lol. Would love to hear whether the system was able to download and play that HD video from iTunes. Also, have you tested your config using internal graphics? My gut is that's the differentiating factor, but I don't have an external card to test with at the moment.

Went ahead and switched from integrated graphics to a GT 640. As previously mentioned, this resolves the freezing issue when playing HDCP content, however still experiencing the black screen in iTunes.

Arminmacx, would you mind uploading your smbios and boot.plists? Trying to find the missing link here, wondering if its something that we are or aren't injecting from bootloaders on startup.

Thanks for your patience!

Assuming issue is not smbios.plist related, at least not directly, as I've tried every variation and the issue persists. Tried updating bios to F5 for my GAZ87N-WIFI board, no change. Interestingly, I CAN stream the video from iTunes to an Apple TV via home sharing.

I'm guessing the issue is that our GPU's don't have whatever the OS is expecting in terms of h264 decode capabilities, so it gets stuck. Perhaps the issue was resolved in previous iTunes builds by going to 32 bit because it disabled such additional decode abilities. Can anyone think of another way to limit what iTunes uses to decode video, or a better explanation? Super frustrating issue as it's my last major problem with my build.

This has been an issue for a very long time now and affects all Ivy and Haswell systems. It dosn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon as it has nothing to do with the graphics card or drivers and only affects iTunes protected content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back