Contribute
Register

Is this the real end of hackintosh? M1 Macs

The real end of Hackintosh??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mac M1 chip represents a deflection point in history. The M1 path represents the future of MacOS with old x86 code falling in disuse without any serious updating. It will be around for years while ARM versions gain new features and take full advantage of the M1 architecture. There are use cases for both paths but I will not be building any new Hacks. I have a new Coffee Lake system that I was waiting to install Big Sur on but sadly I may not bother. My other Hacks are almost as fast and I've just ordered a Mini M1. I'm excited to follow the switch over to ARM coded apps and continue down the MacOS road. To be clear I'm not giving up my current Catalina system as it is perfect and runs many programs which I find essential. The new mac will be more like a toy until it gets real.

My wife has had her M1 Mac Mini for about a month now. It replaces an 11 year old iMac. Runs well and is very quiet. If it wasn’t for the indicator light, you wouldn’t know that it was running.

About the only real gripe I have is the tiny size of the menu bar. She bought an ulta wide 34” screen that is 3440 x whatever and that leaves the menu bar really small. So far no one has come up with a fix...

Regarding Hackintoshing, no I don’t think it will ever end (so long as PCs exist).

But what is interesting though is this. I’ve just found out that a top PC company from China called CEC (or China Electronics Corporation - which has been making PCs in China since the mid-80s) has recently released a quad-core ultra-low power 10W ARMV8 CPU gaming PC called the Phytium FT-2000/4 (this was covered in a Tom’s Hardware article > https://www.tomshardware.com/news/arm-phytium-ft-2000-cpu-chinese-gaming-pc ). While it says it caters to mainly Linux users, if more computer companies decide to support them, we may well end up getting more ARM powered desktops in the near future.

My wife has had her M1 Mac Mini for about a month now. It replaces an 11 year old iMac. Runs well and is very quiet. If it wasn’t for the indicator light, you wouldn’t know that it was running.

About the only real gripe I have is the tiny size of the menu bar. She bought an ulta wide 34” screen that is 3440 x whatever and that leaves the menu bar really small. So far no one has come up with a fix...
Go system Preferences > Accessibility > Menu Bar Size > Change from Default to Large

You may also go to Display in system preferences and play with scaled settings...you have a large 4K display.

Last edited:
No, I don't think it is the end. My M1 MBA 8 core GPU 500 GB SSD arrived today, I needed a replacement real Mac after my 2010 MBP died. The bar has definitely been raised though, my forever WIP Ryzentosh build was crushed in a bench comparison. From reviews I've read about the GPU in an M1, most have compared it to a 560 or 1050Ti, my mini cube has a MSI AERO 560 and I thought that bench score wasn't bad, it is compared to the M1 though. But back to my point, it's definitely not the end of Hackintosh or Ryzentosh for me, recreating that Mac feel, the snappiness and solidity of Finder, the buttery smooth graphics and build quality, for me at least, I aspire to recreate that, it's just going to be much more expensive.

Go system Preferences > Accessibility > Menu Bar Size > Change from Default to Large

You may also go to Display in system preferences and play with scaled settings...you have a large 4K display.

There is no Menu Bar Size option in Catalina. I'll have to check the M1 tomorrow.

Scaled settings are not an option. Not much point in having a high resolution monitor if you can't use it...

There is no Menu Bar Size option in Catalina. I'll have to check the M1 tomorrow.

Scaled settings are not an option. Not much point in having a high resolution monitor if you can't use it...

It's there in Big Sur, sorry I don't have Catalina running at present to check:

MB.jpg

:)

It's there in Big Sur, sorry I don't have Catalina running at present to check:

View attachment 510681

:)

Tried that on my wife's M1 Mini with no effect.

Her monitor is 3440 x 1440. If you go down to 2560 x 1200, the next step down, yes, the menu bar is larger but you lose quite a bit of resolution.

Catalina does not have that command:

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 7.35.50 PM.png

I'm on 10.15.6. As I understand the last update was 10.15.7 but there was no mention of any assessibility items being added...

Tried that on my wife's M1 Mini with no effect.

Her monitor is 3440 x 1440. If you go down to 2560 x 1200, the next step down, yes, the menu bar is larger but you lose quite a bit of resolution.

Catalina does not have that command:

View attachment 510761

I'm on 10.15.6. As I understand the last update was 10.15.7 but there was no mention of any assessibility items being added...

Okay, sorry I couldn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back