Contribute
Register

Intel i5-8400 using UHD 630 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it helps somehow. Those hundred or so reboots were a LOT of fun. :lol:
Duly noted!!

PuginType Warning.png

P.S. Been to Japan many times on business. Was in Nagasaki the day of the 9.0 earthquake.

Last edited:
I hope it helps somehow. Those hundred or so reboots were a LOT of fun. :lol:

That's what I suspected. There was one config I had at the beginning where it worked... even though the display was all 'skippy' and 'jumpy'.

You are correct. I am running 10.14.2

Thanks again for all the support. I will be running through the rest of it tomorrow. Hopefully, tomorrow will be the day we nail down the framebuffer for good.

@aloominium seems to have gotten things working (temporarily) with @jaymonkey 's help. Hopefully, he can continue with helping with the testing so we can make some actual conclusions. I'll be trying the FB-Patch route again with the edited preflight instructions. hopefully the system will boot and cooperate with the analysis.

Good night from Japan.

Things seem to be stable with my 630, still get full acceleration. It was CaseySJ's 1st config that did it. I owe the folks over there some framebuffer testing so I will post that once home (begrudgingly, work does not allow me to bring in my hackintosh :)
I'll post my efi also once home.

Things seem to be stable with my 630, still get full acceleration. It was CaseySJ's 1st config that did it. I owe the folks over there some framebuffer testing so I will post that once home (begrudgingly, work does not allow me to bring in my hackintosh :)
I'll post my efi also once home.

That would be very helpful. Thanks.
I look forward to seeing what's in there.

Duly noted!!

View attachment 379180

P.S. Been to Japan many times on business. Was in Nagasaki the day of the 9.0 earthquake.

Dark days for my family on that day... March 11 2011... Hard to conceive that it was already eight years ago... The costliest natural disaster in recorded history...

Anyway, very nice guide. I hope to be able to make use of it soon. Circumstances have interfered, and I doubt I will have any time until late tonight to work on MiniZee.

Keep at it guys, good stuff! I’m following on the sidelines whilst away for the next few days at the beach .

Here's a more complete reply:
  • As mentioned in previous post, FakeSMC and VirtualSMC are currently installed in /Library/Extensions. Only one is allowed at a time. VirtualSMC should be deleted (with Finder) and kernel cache should be rebuilt (simply running Kext Utility will rebuild caches).
  • In CLOVER/drivers64UEFI there are two memory fix drivers: (a) OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and (b) AptioMemoryFix-64. Only one is allowed at a time. AptioMemoryFix-64 should be deleted.
  • USB port limit patch does not seem to work when USBInjectAll is used. USBInjectAll injects all ports, but MacOS subsequently truncates the list to the first 15. So the attached image shows the result where only the USB 2.0 ports are activated. For the time being, we can manually disable a few of the unused USB 2.0 ports to allow SSxx (USB 3.0) ports to come through, but your best solution is to create a custom USB SSDT (I know this sends shivers of fright)! Temporarily disabling some ports can be done easily by adding this argument to the Boot section of config.plist using Clover Configurator:
    • -uia_exclude=HS01,HS02,HS10,HS11,HS12
    • This will allow 5 other ports to come through (USB 3.0 SSxx ports will come through).
  • I've also modified your config.plist to better handle USB ports, SATA ports, and CPU power management for sleep/wake. Feel free to try it (backing up existing file first).
I certainly don't want to add any unnecessary frustration -- I know how painful this has been. So please create a full backup of your system as @jb007 very wisely suggested. This will be your restore point and it should provide peace of mind before undertaking further changes.

View attachment 378872

@CaseySJ
I just noticed that I must have messed up the USB exclude... The code above should go in the 'custom flags' text box in ->Boot->Arguments... correct? (-uia_exclude=HS01,HS02,HS10,HS11,HS12)

If so, I am still getting the same 15 entries as previous. no SSxx ports listed.

I know you suggested to get other devices sorted out before dealing with video. But, the flickering is just too much to work with. I am fixated on getting video and HDMI working at this point.

PROGRESS!!!

I have managed to get the 'About' box to recognize the IGPU as "Intel UHD 630 1536 MB" again (Using DP connection though). Now returning to the FB-Patch guide in order to TRY to sort this out. I will attach EFI later. But, quickly, I just cleaned out the VirtualSMC.kext out of /L/E/ and the AptioMemoryFix-64.efi from the drivers64UEFI folder.

After that, in preparation for FB-Patcher, I deleted the IntelGFX value of 0x12345678 from the -> Devices ->FakeID section.

[EDIT: Doing a dry-run of the FB-Patch flight plan. And, noticed that this config boots to black screen using HDMI. Sound familiar? Proceeding carefully. And, will attach screenshot of FB-Patcher when I'm back in using DP]

At that point, I did a test reboot... It booted!! And, got a cruddy, UHD display at 4K rez... And, the IGPU is reported as described above.

This is progress... yes?

Next logical step?

[EDIT: Posting latest dump and EFI and removing the original from @post#1 so as not to confuse anyone thinking it is usable.]

[EDIT: Added FB-Patcher shot and dump file if helpful. Not brave enough to apply any patch yet.]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 7.31.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 7.31.04 PM.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 102
  • EFI.zip
    17 MB · Views: 79
  • MiniZee_01152019_UHD_no-accel.ioreg
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 8.18.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 8.18.52 PM.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 117
  • FB-Patcher_MiniZee_Z390_Coffee Lake.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
@HackinMax Very good; let's try to solve both the video and USB problems:

USB:
  • Have you got "USBInjectAll" and "XHCI-Unsupported" installed in /Library/Extensions?
  • If not, they can be copied to /CLOVER/kexts/Other for the time being.
  • Then the -uia_exclude flags from the Boot arguments box should work.
HDMI / DP:
  • Have you got "Lilu" and "WhateverGreen" installed in /Library/Extensions?
  • If not, they can also be copied to /CLOVER/kexts/Other for the time being.
  • Then please try the attached config-v2 and config-v3 plists (need to rename it to config.plist, of course) by backing up current config.plist (from EFI partition of Mojave internal SSD) and replacing it with the attached version.
  • The boot up using DisplayPort cable and run Intel FB-Patcher (which has since been renamed to Hackintool) and as always select "Framebuffer" --> "MacOS 10.14 (18A391)" from the top menu bar.
  • When logged in, insert the HDMI cable as well and see which rows light up.
We now know that DP is in Row 3. So this test is as follows:

config-v2.plist:
Test: Row 1: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Test: Row 2: BusID 0x02, Type HDMI
Known: Row 3: BusID 0x06, Type DP

config-v3.plist:
Test: Row 1: BusID 0x02, Type HDMI
Test: Row 2: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI

Attachments

• config-v2.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 127
  • config-v3.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
@HackinMax Very good; let's try to solve both the video and USB problems:

USB:
  • Have you got "USBInjectAll" and "XHCI-Unsupported" installed in /Library/Extensions?
  • If not, they can be copied to /CLOVER/kexts/Other for the time being.
  • Then the -uia_exclude flags from the Boot arguments box should work.
HDMI / DP:
  • Have you got "Lilu" and "WhateverGreen" installed in /Library/Extensions?
  • If not, they can also be copied to /CLOVER/kexts/Other for the time being.
  • Then please try the attached config-v2 and config-v3 plists (need to rename it to config.plist, of course) by backing up current config.plist (from EFI partition of Mojave internal SSD) and replacing it with the attached version.
  • The boot up using DisplayPort cable and run Intel FB-Patcher (which has since been renamed to Hackintool) and as always select "Framebuffer" --> "MacOS 10.14 (18A391)" from the top menu bar.
  • When logged in, insert the HDMI cable as well and see which rows light up.
We now know that DP is in Row 3. So this test is as follows:

config-v2.plist:
Test: Row 1: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Test: Row 2: BusID 0x02, Type HDMI

config-v3.plist:
Test: Row 1: BusID 0x02, Type HDMI
Test: Row 2: BusID 0x04, Type HDMI

OK will do this ASAP... Forgive the ignorance. but, where can I download "XHCI-Unsupported?" I found that it is RehabMan's work. but, I don't know where to get it.

XHCI-unsupported.kext (Click download repository).
Cheers @P1LGRIM

BRB with results.

@CaseySJ

FB-Patcher results using config-V2.plist:
A)
First Boot in verbose mode - DP screen goes dark and completely skips the whole logo with progress bar feature. And, requires several (5) seconds to light up.
Normal Login
Able to run two monitors. One in DP and one in HDMI.
Scaling for displays is available and works

B)
Second boot and login resulted in pinwheel... Cleared NVRAM rebooted twice. Afterwards, above results repeated exactly.

C)
Third boot same results as "A" above

FB-Patcher results using config-V3.plist:

A)
First Boot ends in dark DP display ...then begins flashing on and off. Entered login password blindly. System logged me in but, continued to flash the screen on/off.
Continued with attaching HDMI which, remained completely dark throughout the procedure.
Looking back to DP... which had resolved the flashing and actually had decent output.(?)
Disconected HDMI cable... Both screens go dark... permanently.

Obtained the screenshot from the DP screen on subsequent boot.

B)
Second AND third boots resulted in same as "A" above.

Both cases continue to tear and flash objects on the screen... etc. However, the V2 plist has the benefit of enabling BOTH screens, and they appeared to be better visual quality with less artifacts and flashing artifacts on the display.

V2 seems to be another step in the right direction. And, I LIKE this direction.

Thanks again! What's next?

Note: Since the graphics were first recognized properly in the About box, Restart and ShutDown have been working. I never suspected a link between the two... I have changed nothing else except these tests and, adding the files suggested in post #57.

Attachments

• FB-Patcher_v2plist.png
    FB-Patcher_v2plist.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 109
  • FB-Patcher_v3plist.png
    FB-Patcher_v3plist.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back