Contribute
Register

Intel i5-8400 using UHD 630 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IOReg file shows that DisplayPort signal (type 0x10) is present on Port 7, which is Index 3. So Index 3 is actually DP. HDMI signal would be 0x08.

View attachment 380464

That leaves Indexes 1 and 2 for HDMI. Let's first assume HDMI on Index 1 (port 5). The attached config.plist V7 makes the necessary changes.

However, please also download gfxutil from here:
https://github.com/acidanthera/gfxutil/releases

And run this in Terminal as follows:
Code:
$ ./gfxutil -f IGPU
DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)  <-- do you get exactly this?
Also ensure that "Apply Current Patches" is checked on in Hackintool.

@CaseySJ: Yes, gfxutil gives me the exact output specified.

With this config(V7), HDMI is completely dead. The only video is on DP. dis/reconnecting HDMI does nothing. And, this time, the dark monitor does not appear in SysProf.

With only DP connected... we see this.
MiniZee_V7.png
MiniZee_SysProf.png

Attachments

• MiniZee_V7.ioreg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
@CaseySJ :

DETOUR.
I've been reading around about this issue on CoffeeLake. And, I ran across a passing comment that "most systems need only the platform_ID and Device_ID as long as WhateverGreen/Lilu is installed... And, as long as you are using MacMini8,1 SMB."

I didn't take it very seriously. But, filed it away just in case. This evening, I decided to test that theory... just because it was 'there'.

Anyway, I had to login 'blind'. But, after that, I got HDMI 4K@60Hz and DP@30Hz only using those two properties. Now, Hackintool didn't 'see' it. But, SysPrefs did. And, both monitors were lit up... So, I wonder... Does this fact in any way help us in our current situation?

Last edited:
Question though, can the UHD 630 drive two 4K@60Hz monitors simultaneously? Ie does it have enough frame buffer memory to do this and can it be extended to 2000MB as per the Hackintool guide by Headkaze?

@jb007 & @CaseySJ,

I found a noticeable improvement with 4K IGPU performance when using the 2GB VRAM patch, it's most noticeable when playing high resolution youtube videos in Chrome and also less stutters in the MacOS UI, pretty sure that @headkaze also confirmed the same with his testing.

4K VRAM Patch is detailed towards the bottom of the WhatEverGreen section in the Lilu and Plug-in's guide.

Cheers
Jay

@jb007 & @CaseySJ,

I found a noticeable improvement with 4K IGPU performance when using the 2GB VRAM patch, it's most noticeable when playing high resolution youtube videos in Chrome and also less stutters in the MacOS UI, pretty sure that @headkaze also confirmed the same with his testing.

4K VRAM Patch is detailed towards the bottom of the WhatEverGreen section in the Lilu and Plug-in's guide.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks! I'm about to make this change and will test it throughout the day to gain a sense of the difference.

Thanks! I'm about to make this change and will test it throughout the day to gain a sense of the difference.

@CaseySJ,

Its subtle for sure ... the first time i tried the 2GB patch i did not think it made any difference and i turned it off, then a few days later i was watching some 1080P stuff on you tube, every once in a while i would get 'green bars' across the display, like just for one or two frames .... it wasn't a major issue but it was annoying .... so i turned the 4K patch back on and have never seen the issues again.

I also notice that the MacOS UI is just a slightly bit smother when using Launchpad or fast scrolling a large WebPage in Chrome ...

Cheers
Jay

@CaseySJ :

DETOUR.
I've been reading around about this issue on CoffeeLake. And, I ran across a passing comment that "most systems need only the platform_ID and Device_ID as long as WhateverGreen/Lilu is installed... And, as long as you are using MacMini8,1 SMB."

I didn't take it very seriously. But, filed it away just in case. This evening, I decided to test that theory... just because it was 'there'.

Anyway, I had to login 'blind'. But, after that, I got HDMI 4K@60Hz and DP@30Hz only using those two properties. Now, Hackintool didn't 'see' it. But, SysPrefs did. And, both monitors were lit up... So, I wonder... Does this fact in any way help us in our current situation?
Interesting! With both of the monitors showing properly in SysPref, please capture the IOReg file and upload! I would like to see the port assignments, av-signal, and connector type information.

I looked again at the specifications page for your motherboard and the HDMI 2.0 is provided by MegaChips MCDP2800. This is the same post-processor as in the Gigabyte H370N WiFi, and we managed to get that working perfectly. Because that motherboard has 2 HDMI ports, we used BusIDs 0x01 and 0x06.

So if that is any indication, it means we should attempt BusID 0x06 for the HDMI port and, failing that, attempt BusID 0x01. Currently we've been using BusID 0x04.

@CaseySJ,

Its subtle for sure ... the first time i tried the 2GB patch i did not think it made any difference and i turned it off, then a few days later i was watching some 1080P stuff on you tube, every once in a while i would get 'green bars' across the display, like just for one or two frames .... it wasn't a major issue but it was annoying .... so i turned the 4K patch back on and have never seen the issues again.

I also notice that the MacOS UI is just a slightly bit smother when using Launchpad or fast scrolling a large WebPage in Chrome ...

Cheers
Jay
I just recommended this change to @tsamy -- of course the root cause for his laggy video playback may be due to something else, but I think it's worth having him try this as well.

I just recommended this change to @tsamy -- of course the root cause for his laggy video playback may be due to something else, but I think it's worth having him try this as well.

@CaseySJ,

I think anyone who is using a IGPU to drive a 4K display would benefit from having that extra bit of VRAM, it should not cause any harm ... other than eating up a but more system RAM.

Cheers
Jay

@jb007 & @CaseySJ,

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for passing that one on @jaymonkey!! That is truly a gem. I couldn't resist trying it right away.

Still dealing with DP output @30Hz. Oops! Check that... Had to reset the resoulution of the DP in SysPref ->Graphics. But, it reset to 60Hz this time. Hmm... Rebooting to see if it sticks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 10.00.41 AM.png

Interesting! With both of the monitors showing properly in SysPref, please capture the IOReg file and upload! I would like to see the port assignments, av-signal, and connector type information.

I looked again at the specifications page for your motherboard and the HDMI 2.0 is provided by MegaChips MCDP2800. This is the same post-processor as in the Gigabyte H370N WiFi, and we managed to get that working perfectly. Because that motherboard has 2 HDMI ports, we used BusIDs 0x01 and 0x06.

So if that is any indication, it means we should attempt BusID 0x06 for the HDMI port and, failing that, attempt BusID 0x01. Currently we've been using BusID 0x04.

Above my pay-grade ATM. Although I am starting to get a grip on it... I will try to generate a patch that meets these specs. Although I will be attaching my current working config for you to look at as well. (There is a higher likelihood of failure when I do it. But, you gotta start swimming sometime.)

EDIT: The current configuration with HDMI-only connected is shown here.
MiniZee_V7.1.png

Attachments

• MiniZee_V7.1.ioreg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
  • config_V7.1.plist
    8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back