Contribute
Register

Intel i5-8400 using UHD 630 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Best to stay with the settings that (tolerably) work until a more reasoned approach can be found to solving this problem as opposed to a continuous stream of trials-and-errors. At least we attempted every reasonable solution that has worked elsewhere.

I am going to un-case this board tomorrow and put it in a mATX case with a RX580 on it. At least I will get to use it. I am not giving up... just moving to something else for a while.

I do want to explore the possibility that we have been using the wrong platformID all along. Slim chance. But, nothing to lose.

My hope is that it won't take too long for someone to have an "AHA" moment and solve this issue.

Last edited:
Well, here's the final nail in the coffin. I decided to update WeG and Lilu to the latest version per the ongoing audio troubleshooting saga.

For whatever reason, the system is unbootable again, even from the Unibeast stick. "unable to allocate runtime area"... or something.

Last edited:
Well, here's the final nail in the coffin. I decided to update WeG and Lilu as the latest version per the ongoing audio troubleshooting saga.

For whatever reason, the system is unbootable again, even from the Unibeast stick. "unable to allocate runtime area"... or something.
Fortunately that’s an easy one to overcome. Couldn’t allocate runtime area errors on Gigabyte boards are usually resolved by:

1. Shutdown and unplug power cable for 10 seconds. Then replug and boot again.

2. If you copied new versions of Lilu and WEG to /L/E, be sure to run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches.

3. In BIOS verify settings and re-flash BIOS if something looks fishy.

4. Ensure OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 is still installed with slide=0.

Fortunately that’s an easy one to overcome. Couldn’t allocate runtime area errors on Gigabyte boards are usually resolved by:

1. Shutdown and unplug power cable for 10 seconds. Then replug and boot again.

2. If you copied new versions of Lilu and WEG to /L/E, be sure to run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches.

3. In BIOS verify settings and re-flash BIOS if something looks fishy.

4. Ensure OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 is still installed with slide=0.

Thanks for the encouragement. All above conditions met... Nothing.
Beginning to think this board has a specific grudge against me.

Thanks for the encouragement. All above conditions met... Nothing.
Beginning to think this board has a specific grudge against me.
Ouch!!!

Can I make a personal opinionated comment? You have a lot more patience it seems than I would under the same circumstances. I would have burned that board to the ground 100 times over by now (um, in practical terms that means "returned to seller") and switched to something else -- even something a little more expensive.

I checked my IORegistry settings this morning for HDMI at 4K60 from my Radeon RX 580. The av-signal-type is indeed 0x08 and not 0x10 as shown in your output. Maybe your copy of the board is defective.

Also, if you are not fettered to the on-board GPU, then just go with an AMD RX 570 or 580. Avoid the Vega cards -- they are too much hassle and, for most people, provide no tangible benefits over RX 5xx series.

Edit: I see you decided to use the RX 580 in post 101. Good choice.

Last edited:
Ouch!!!

Can I make a personal opinionated comment? You have a lot more patience it seems than I would under the same circumstances. I would have burned that board to the ground 100 times over by now (um, in practical terms that means "returned to seller") and switched to something else -- even something a little more expensive.

I checked my IORegistry settings this morning for HDMI at 4K60 from my Radeon RX 580. The av-signal-type is indeed 0x08 and not 0x10 as shown in your output. Maybe your copy of the board is defective.

Also, if you are not fettered to the on-board GPU, then just go with an AMD RX 570 or 580. Avoid the Vega cards -- they are too much hassle and, for most people, provide no tangible benefits over RX 5xx series.

Edit: I see you decided to use the RX 580 in post 101. Good choice.

That's funny. Patience - no one ever said that about me.
It's been a learning experience. And, I can accept that.
My first build went WAY too easily for a noob. So, this is just cyber-karma balancing things out.

Hello! @CaseySJ

I was up until about 0230 last night working on MiniZee. I eventually got a reinstall done. And, then started working back to where I was prior to the 'spaz-out'.

I updated BIOS and after that install ran an immediate MacOS update to 10.14.3 without issue.

The BusIDs and 'pipes' settled in completely different from what we had seen before. I will post a Hackintool/IOReg data for you later tonight. But, the 'pipe' values and connector types were 8 LVDS,9 DP and 10 DP instead of the '18 xxx' that I was fighting before.

Initially, the port-1 was showing as LVDS. This was when everything would work. After re-adding the platformID ad 2048MB memory patches, this port changed to DP... Ironically, the only physical port that works is HDMI.

Go figure. right?

MiniZee is being relegated to being my personal HTPC instead of suffering the shame of dis-assembly that I threatened it with before. Therefore, I continue to be open to testing should any great ideas pop up.

Pipes 8, 9, 10 are default pipes for several Platform IDs. When we select the Hackintool option Hotplug Reboot Fix all pipes change to 18.

Hackintool will display default values in the Connectors tab and elsewhere unless you select Patch --> Apply Current Patches from the top menu bar. Only then will Hackintool show settings that are actually in effect versus default settings for the chosen Platform ID.

Initially, the port-1 was showing as LVDS. This was when everything would work. After re-adding the platformID ad 2048MB memory patches, this port changed to DP... Ironically, the only physical port that works is HDMI.
When you say "port-1" do you mean Index 1? I wonder how "LVDS" entered the picture!! That is for built-in LCD screens on laptops. Are you sure the Platform ID was 0x3E9B0007? And remember that as soon as you select a Platform ID from the pop-up menu, Connectors page will show the DEFAULT values. You must again go to the top menu bar and re-select Patches --> Apply Current Patches.

When you say "This was when everything would work" what exactly do you mean? Did both DP and HDMI work without any framebuffer settings being injected? If so, that is quite possible because the default non-accelerated graphics driver (IONDrvFramebuffer) may have been attached to the IGPU instead of the accelerated AppleIntelFramebuffer. IORegistryExplorer can show this.

Pipes 8, 9, 10 are default pipes for several Platform IDs. When we select the Hackintool option Hotplug Reboot Fix all pipes change to 18.

Ah. Did not know that. Thanks. That explains the initial data.

Hackintool will display default values in the Connectors tab and elsewhere unless you select Patch --> Apply Current Patches from the top menu bar. Only then will Hackintool show settings that are actually in effect versus default settings for the chosen Platform ID.

This is news as well. And, very very bad.... I had assumed that settings in effect where shown when you first started and selected platform. So, I've been doing it wrong all along?

When you say "port-1" do you mean Index 1? I wonder how "LVDS" entered the picture!! That is for built-in LCD screens on laptops. Are you sure the Platform ID was 0x3E9B0007? And remember that as soon as you select a Platform ID from the pop-up menu, Connectors page will show the DEFAULT values. You must again go to the top menu bar and re-select Patches --> Apply Current Patches.

Actually, I mean Line #1. It just happened to be labeled Index 1 as well. I am not completely positive, as you say, of the platform at this point since I can no longer repeat that configuration. It 'could' have been 0x3EA50004. I wish I had taken the screen shot when it occurred to me. But, it was VERY late for me by that time.

When you say "This was when everything would work" what exactly do you mean? Did both DP and HDMI work without any framebuffer settings being injected? If so, that is quite possible because the default non-accelerated graphics driver (IONDrvFramebuffer) may have been attached to the IGPU instead of the accelerated AppleIntelFramebuffer. IORegistryExplorer can show this.

Actually, in that config. Both monitors worked at UHD 60Hz, there was no flashing or other display affects. The only glitch was it took a while for the monitors to light up after blind login. But, as indicated, this dual-monitor Nirvana did not survive additional memory patching and reboot.

Sorry. I should have taken the screen shot and dumped the ioreg data. but, as I said, when this occurred, It was very late and I was completely 'wiped'. I could easily have read the situation wrong.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ @jb007

After I got Audio and USB ports sorted thanks to @toleda and @jb007, respectively, I returned to the niggling question of video.

Because I was not sure if I had the "Apply Patches" checked in Hackintool on every run, I revisited each and every config we had tried. (It's not patience BTW... It's OCD):lol:

Anyway, this is the config that works absolutely the best.

I do not have to log in blind:clap:
The screens do not flicker or misbehave:clap:
Hotplugging monitors does not trigger a reboot:clap:
Switching resolutions does not cause a monitor to 'go black':clap:

I am, however stuck with DP @30Hz.:thumbdown

Considering that MiniZee has been reassigned a role as my personal HTPC, all I really need is HDMI 4K@60Hz. Therefore, I am 'calling it.'

The MiniZee build is COMPLETED... Not the complete success I had hoped for. But, C'mon! If any other team can do any better... Bring it on!... And, upload your EFI:mrgreen:

Attached, please find the pertinent data for the best config possible with our current knowledge.

Thanks again @CaseySJ for all the help. I will re-visit this when more information gives us a better answer.

MiniZee_HDMI_DP_Working.png
MiniZee01252019.png

Attachments

• MiniZee_01252019IGPU.ioreg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back