Contribute
Register

Incredibly Random Complete System Freeze (UD5H, i7, GTX 670)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Short I upgraded yesterday my bios revision to 1203 and no freezes so far...
Also to mention that my motherboard is very new and it may have some problems with the
1st bios revisions (new bios revision says "improves system stability").
Its too early to say that my problem is solved since 20 hours have been passed.
The whole thing in my case is about Gpu power management I believe.
I will update again soon..

Update 10-01-2014
My problem has been solved since I installed latest Bios 1203.
Mavericks running last 10 days more than 12 hours per day and no freezes have shown up.

Apologies for the necro, but to confirm that this worked for me too on a GA-Z77X-UD5H with Firmware F15q and Mavericks. (Your mileage may vary but this worked for me with dual NICs + Wireless adapter)

I had to do slightly different steps, I'll outline them in full here:
  1. Download the 1.2.3 fixed Atheros kext from here: http://mu.ms/f/dc.zip (credit) and unzip it - copy AtherosL1cEthernet.kext to your Desktop.
  2. If you're using a UD5H with dual-NICs like me, also download the AppleIntelE1000e.kext from Sourceforge and once again extract it to your Desktop.
  3. Right-click the Install OS X Mavericks file and select show package contents. Open the Contents -> Shared Support folder path and open the InstallESD.dmg image.
  4. In the newly mounted volume, open Packages -> BaseSystemBinaries.pkg Using UnPKG (or Pacifist). This will put a folder on your Desktop.
  5. Open a Terminal window and type the following to copy the IONetworkingFamily kext to your desktop:
    Code:
    cp -R ~/Desktop/BaseSystemBinaries/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext ~/Desktop
  6. Now move your Intel and Atheros kexts to the right place - ensure both AtherosL1cEthernet.kext and AppleIntelE1000e.kext are on your Desktop! I use terminal to do this:
    Code:
    mv ~/Desktop/AppleIntelE1000e.kext ~/Desktop/AtherosL1cEthernet.kext ~/Desktop/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
  7. Delete any remaining .kext files on your Desktop other than IONetworkingFamily.kext
  8. Run KextBeast to install the new networking drivers
  9. Using Terminal again, clear your system cache:
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/*
  10. Reboot your Mac - do not install networking drivers from Multibeast in future!
  11. Once rebooted you can delete any kext files on your Desktop

Running through this had the following benefits:
  • My system no loner crashed!
  • Using the ALXEthernet (buggy) drivers, I could not get 802.1X authentication working on my Hackintosh... this now works with the new driver
  • iMessage stopped working with the old driver; perhaps unrelated but I was able to get it working again with the new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back