Contribute
Register
Anyone or @LeleTuratti : new z370 Gigabyte Gaming 5 build with Titan Ridge PCIe card. Can't get TR recognized on Mojave side, but Windows 10 sees it fine. Shows up in IOReg as RP21. I changed the v2 SSDT to reflect the correct RP21 but other than showing up in PCI:System Report, I can't get any TB3 storage to be recognized. Would love some help on this.
Bios version and settings?

Meant to include my IOReg file to help. I keep feeling like this is going to be a simple fix since so many others have basic TB3 working. I would just settle for it working at all and THEN worry about hot-plugging. :)

Titan Ridge requires the latest BIOS just released, and most likely a new SSDT.
Your ioreg is with the SSDT TB3, or without?

Some updates...
After updating the BIOS of my Z370 Ultra Gaming to the F10 version, I noticed that the hotplug worked perfectly. I thought the problem had been solved by the parent company thanks to new bios updates, but it does not.

By updating the BIOS to version F11 and F12 (required for Titan Ridge) the hotplug stops working.
Also some settings in the Thunderbolt section of the BIOS, introduced with the F10 version, disappear.
This means that the BIOS version plays an important part in all this.

For those with GB-Alpine Ridge, I recommend trying this procedure:

If you have the THB_C header disconnected, reconnect it before doing this.
  • Go to the Gigabyte website and download the BIOS version for your motherboard that in description says this (For example for Z370 Ultra Gaming is the F10):
  1. Update CPU microcode for upcoming CPU
  2. Improve windows boot time
  • Now update the BIOS. I recommend cleaning the CMOS after upgrading and setting everything up from the beginning.
In the Thunderbolt section, use these settings:
IMPORTANT!! Do not change the settings inside the red square!!
2018-11-28 15.30.48.jpg

Because the hotplug works, you need to use the SSDT v3 that you find in the first post.

If the hotplug does not work, try the other BIOS versions. For me the only one that works is the one that in the Thunderbolt section shows the parameters that in the picture are circled in red (BIOS v. F10).
If you have no success, unfortunately I have no other solutions.

Some updates...
After updating the BIOS of my Z370 Ultra Gaming to the F10 version, I noticed that the hotplug worked perfectly. I thought the problem had been solved by the parent company thanks to new bios updates, but it does not.

By updating the BIOS to version F11 and F12 (required for Titan Ridge) the hotplug stops working.
Also some settings in the Thunderbolt section of the BIOS, introduced with the F10 version, disappear.

• Go to the Gigabyte website and download the BIOS version for your motherboard that in description says this (For example for Z370 Ultra Gaming is the F10):
  • Now update the BIOS. I recommend cleaning the CMOS after upgrading and setting everything up from the beginning.
View attachment 369038

Because the hotplug works, you need to use the SSDT v3 that you find in the first post.

If the hotplug does not work, try the other BIOS versions. For me the only one that works is the one that in the Thunderbolt section shows the parameters that in the picture are circled in red (BIOS v. F10).
The bios release after that one( where they deleted the redsquare options) seems to work fine for me. I thougt you used the same one?

Titan Ridge requires the latest BIOS just released, and most likely a new SSDT.
Your ioreg is with the SSDT TB3, or without?

I do have the latest BIOS installed, F11. I think I was clear earlier, but let me say again that the Titan Ridge IS recognized in Windows 10 and I can see and interact with the storage just fine. My BIOS settings for Thunderbolt are also fine otherwise the card would not be available nor working in my Windows partition. I think you are correct @LeleTuratti that the issue is getting a correct SSDT. The ioreg I shared is WITHOUT any SSDT specific to TB3. I just don’t know enough about how to create a TB3 SSDT based on my IOReg config. I’m posting here because this thread is the closet I’ve found to any that specifically BOTH provides insights into getting hotplugging working AND provides specific SSDTs to work with. But since I don’t have TB3 working at all, I was hoping someone knowledgeable here could help me with that. I suspect it involves taking one of this thread’s SSDTs and editing it for my ioreg config. But I am lost on what variables to change and why. So I would welcome any help or guidance. I feel like I’m really close to having a very solid build and everything else works, including 10G ethernet, except for TB3.

Some updates...

View attachment 369038

Reading this after my last reply. Sorry. Yes, my z370 Gaming 5 with the Titan Ridge requires BIOS F11 to work. I do have it working on Windows as previously mentioned. And yes, all the detailed TB3 settings in your screenshot are missing in F11. So I guess I have to give up on hotplugging since you say that doesn’t work with F11. But at this point I would just be fine with having my Titan Ridge work at all. I have an OWC Thunderbay 4 that I am connecting and it will stay connected on be left ‘On’ most of the time. So getting that working and then continuing to work with people in this thread to get hotplugging working would be a great outcome. Here’s hoping. See my other reply for info on the SSDT question. Thanks @LeleTuratti

The bios release after that one( where they deleted the redsquare options) seems to work fine for me. I thougt you used the same one?
I use the F10 BIOS and the hotplug works perfectly with the SSDT of METHOD 2.

I do have the latest BIOS installed, F11. I think I was clear earlier, but let me say again that the Titan Ridge IS recognized in Windows 10 and I can see and interact with the storage just fine. My BIOS settings for Thunderbolt are also fine otherwise the card would not be available nor working in my Windows partition. I think you are correct @LeleTuratti that the issue is getting a correct SSDT. The ioreg I shared is WITHOUT any SSDT specific to TB3. I just don’t know enough about how to create a TB3 SSDT based on my IOReg config. I’m posting here because this thread is the closet I’ve found to any that specifically BOTH provides insights into getting hotplugging working AND provides specific SSDTs to work with. But since I don’t have TB3 working at all, I was hoping someone knowledgeable here could help me with that. I suspect it involves taking one of this thread’s SSDTs and editing it for my ioreg config. But I am lost on what variables to change and why. So I would welcome any help or guidance. I feel like I’m really close to having a very solid build and everything else works, including 10G ethernet, except for TB3.

Try these 2 SSDTs, they come from the KGP guide (Titan Ridge) and I edited them for the Z370.
One of the two is based on METHOD 1 [Use with caution], and forces the hotplug on the first TB port. Try this only if the first one does not work, and if you notice strange behavior, take it off and use the one before (V4).

Anyone who gets positive results, report them here.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z370-TB3.aml V4.zip
    2 KB · Views: 154
  • [Use with caution] SSDT-Z370-Force-TB3.aml.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 102
Reading this after my last reply. Sorry. Yes, my z370 Gaming 5 with the Titan Ridge requires BIOS F11 to work. I do have it working on Windows as previously mentioned. And yes, all the detailed TB3 settings in your screenshot are missing in F11. So I guess I have to give up on hotplugging since you say that doesn’t work with F11. But at this point I would just be fine with having my Titan Ridge work at all. I have an OWC Thunderbay 4 that I am connecting and it will stay connected on be left ‘On’ most of the time. So getting that working and then continuing to work with people in this thread to get hotplugging working would be a great outcome. Here’s hoping. See my other reply for info on the SSDT question. Thanks @LeleTuratti

Adding one clarifying point: I did try to edit the v2 SSDT following the mini guide in the first post. You can see from my ioreg that I needed to replace RP05 with RP21. However, making that edit and putting the SSDT in the Clover ACPI Patches folder didn’t get the OWC array to be recognized. So it seems there must be other variables I need to change in the SSDT?

I use the F10 BIOS and the hotplug works perfectly with the SSDT of METHOD 2.

Try these 2 SSDTs, they come from the KGP guide (Titan Ridge) and I edited them for the Z370.
One of the two is based on METHOD 1 [Use with caution], and forces the hotplug on the first TB port. Try this only if the first one does not work, and if you notice strange behavior, take it off and use the one before (V4).

Anyone who gets positive results, report them here.

Cross posting at same time Thanks @LeleTuratti Will try these SSDTs later today per your instructions. Will post results then. Much appreciated.

Here's my update: So I tried both SSDTs that @LeleTuratti provided me earlier this morning. Neither worked, sadly. I watched the Thunderbay 4 during boot and the disk lights never blink green indicating that the array was recognized. I know this is what I should see since I can turn around and boot to my Windows 10 SSD and the array is recognized during boot, the front disk lights turn green, and I see the two disks installed in the Windows File Manager. Argh. So I know that my BIOS, cabling, array, disks, everything works as it should. Just not recognized in Mojave. This is more than a 'little thing' for me as the whole reason I built this hack was to migrate my photo library to it and I need that TB3 array for that work.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for in those SSDT files other than the RP21 PCI location that matches what my IOReg says is the location of my Titan Ridge. As I click through the IOReg/RP21 hierarchy I see lots of entries on the right side, and I was looking for patterns in the IOReg entries and the SSDT files, I really couldn't find any. Various references to 'offsets' etc. but I couldn't see matching data from my IOReg is that is important.

Where do I go from here?

Back