Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the mediaanalysisd file for ?
Opening mediaanalysisd.plist with TextEdit reveals reference to "VideoProcessing.framework" so it's probably associated with content analysis.
https://support.apple.com/kb/index?...ocale=en_US&bookId=Final Cut Pro X Help133280
I don't do any photo/video production anymore so I don't use those apps. I unloaded photoanalysisd upon installing Sierra because it does facial recognition. No thanks. Final Cut does similar things with video: detects the number of people in a shot, faces, metadata, even wide/medium shot, etc. There seem to be a similar complaints of high CPU usage when ingesting media from others.
Could be that.

Sadly, the solution that I had come across was no help either. The lag returned today once again. This time around, I removed all the videos from my Photos library and so far it has been fine. It's frustrating knowing that this was not there with previous OS builds. Interestingly, I have not come across any posts on Apple's support site either. Maybe it's something to do with hackintoshes?

I belive my problem started when I moved my Photos Library from my boot SSD to internal HDD.

I also realized that it doesn't appear if you have iTunes playing music in background.

Last edited:
I had this exact same problem on my build. Unloaded the file and so far so good after 3 days!

Is this problem related to Mac OS or to our hackintosh?

I think it's OS related. This issue was not present with previous builds of 10.12.

It is not present on my other Hackintosh also running 10.12.5 / GA-Z170X-Gaming7 / i5 4690K

I removed all the video files from the Photos library and it hasn't lagged since. I'll try putting them back one by one to see wat happens.

Hmm, I checked, I dont have any video files in the Photos library on my other Hackintosh.

I removed all the video files from the Photos library and it hasn't lagged since. I'll try putting them back one by one to see wat happens.

You got me thinking so I went trough my videos in Photos library. I found few old video entries which could not be played because original item could not be found. I deleted those videos and guess what, It seems there is no lag anymore.

EDIT: Nope, the lag is still present :(

Last edited:
I tried to disable SIP with

csrutil disable

And I get this:
csrutil: failed to modify system integrity configuration. This tool needs to be executed from the Recovery OS.

I tried to just delete the mediaanalysis.plist manually, but I get this:
“com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by macOS.

How can I get around either of these walls?

EDIT: I modified my config.plist to remove SIP and got the mediaanalysisd file deleted.

Sadly, I'm still getting the beach ball spinning and system stalls. Do I also need to remove the questionable videos from my Photos app?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back