Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

Do you have drives that report temperature? I don't but can still reproduce the bug.

The internal HD reports temps in HWMonitor.

Other topic: I'd like to read temp and fan sensors with applescript or terminal (my programming skills end there) -- is that possible at all?

At post #1000, I like to congratulate all the brilliant contributors and the diligent testers. This is really outstanding work!

dg

HWMonitor is installed but not starting automatically.

Run it and check your HwMonitor Preferences.

Brightness is not remembered :(.

You need blinkscreen for it to work 100%. Because for some reason brightness is always 100% even though the nvram data is there.

I just deleted the DSDT.aml from Extra folder, Restart > Install > Restart ( Is this the correct way ?)

If you wish to update your DSDT, yes.

The internal HD reports temps in HWMonitor.

Other topic: I'd like to read temp and fan sensors with applescript or terminal (my programming skills end there) -- is that possible at all?

If you can find some way to read SMC registers then you can do it. Certainly you could write a program to access SMC from C/C++/Obj-C then use that program from Terminal.

- - - Updated - - -

......and i'm back.....did wipe and re-install and used the 6.1 non-beta and still had issues...so wiped and re-installed again with the beta version and no problem

Without knowing exactly what your "issues" were and exactly what you did, we cannot provide any ideas/help.

Something to consider for the next version of the ProBook Installer:

Currently we have support for 10.6.8, 10.7.x (where x is 0-5), 10.8.x (where x is 0-4). Testing all these versions is a burden and the burden gets greater with each release of OS X. We should consider dropping support all but the latest of each version. In other words, supporting only 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.4. So far, with the latest installer, that's all I have tested. Although I have the ability to test all the 10.8.x versions, I do not have the ability to test anything in 10.7.x except 10.7.5.

I can't think of a reason to support anything but the latest of each major version. Comments?

Currently we have support for 10.6.8, 10.7.x (where x is 0-5), 10.8.x (where x is 0-4). Testing all these versions is a burden and the burden gets greater with each release of OS X. We should consider dropping support all but the latest of each version. In other words, supporting only 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.4. So far, with the latest installer, that's all I have tested. Although I have the ability to test all the 10.8.x versions, I do not have the ability to test anything in 10.7.x except 10.7.5.

I can't think of a reason to support anything but the latest of each major version. Comments?

I agree, 10.6.8 seems to be updated with security stuff every month or so

I don't use 10.7.x since apple has pretty much abandoned it like vista is to ms ,

and for 10.8.x it looks like apple has really put their efforts into this one.

offside, i guess 10.9.x might be a flop for at least a few .x , if 10.7.x is any sort of reliable indicator to what they did to sl. might be wrong, it could be the best thing since ml.

Just for fun I decided to see if it was possible to take a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.8 that used the ProBook Installer v6.1 (just installed a couple of days ago), and see if it could be upgraded to ML by running the "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" just like you would on a real MacBookPro.

Results:
- the "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" ran to completion with no errors, then restarted the computer (after countdown)
- when the computer restarted it was still in SL
- so, I plugged in the ML Unibeast USB (created with latest Unibeast and ML 10.8.4 download from Mac App Store)
- when the 10.8.4 Installer booted, it did not ask me any questions about language, where to install/etc, it just launched into the update process for the SL partition that I had run the update app from
- when it completed, I used the Unibeast USB to boot into the newly upgraded ML... got to the desktop OK
- then, ran the ProBook Installer v6.1 to install 10.8.4 "OS X Support Kexts" only

And... It worked.

So, in theory an upgrade from SL to ML is possible, assuming the SL install is relatively clean.

I think where users run into trouble is if their SL install is relatively old such that they used old techniques, kexts, poor DSDT, etc to get their SL up and running. In that case, they likely create conflicts between old/new and run into problems booting, etc. Without knowledge of what exactly they did with their original installation or advanced knowledge of how all this works and what kext combinations are bad, etc, most users would be unable to fix such problems.

So, I still maintain that this kind of upgrade should not be attempted unless you know what you're doing. But it does maybe give hope that a simple upgrade process (instead of clean install) might be possible going forward with future OS X updates, provided your current install uses current techniques and tools.

Agree. There will be few benefits:
- the Installer will become smaller.
- It's easier to maintain 4 options instead of currently 14.

And it will be much easier for me to make these 4 options to work as a radio buttons (when one option has been selected, all the rest will become deselected).

6.1 feedback. just ran probook installer, appears to be working generally. will post back if anything changes.

Back