Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

After "upgrading" my ProBook 6.1b15 to the 6.1, I am having problems booting up.....i can get into OS X from the Unibeast disk but not from the hard-drive.....I did the

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 thing and it didn't work....still tells me there is no OS

After "upgrading" my ProBook 6.1b15 to the 6.1, I am having problems booting up.....i can get into OS X from the Unibeast disk but not from the hard-drive.....I did the

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 thing and it didn't work....still tells me there is no OS

What exactly did you do?

If you're just running the ProBook Installer to get the 6.1 version, there is no reason to re-do the boot0 fix, since you would only need to do that if you wiped the entire drive out and started over.

If you just did an upgrade, what kind of boot issue are you having?

If this is a fresh install, make sure you follow the guide step-by-step.

If the BIOS is telling you no OS it means one or more of the following:
(Note: If you were to run this from Terminal via Unibeast USB, OSX installer, you would need to use 'diskutil list' first to determine what the bsd device name for the HDD in question is)

- no active partition on the HDD
Code:
# list partitions and active one via fdisk
sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0

- no boot record (MBR) in the BIOS boot disk
Code:
# dump stage0 boot record (MBR) on disk0
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/tmp/mbr bs=512 count=1
xxd </tmp/mbr

- no boot record (PBR) on the active partition
Code:
# dump stage1 boot record (PBR) on disk0 partition2
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1s2 of=/tmp/pbr bs=512 count=2
xxd </tmp/pbr

Both dumps should end in 55aa to be a valid MBR/PBR for Chameleon.

after installing the 6.1 ProBook installer, that is when the boot issues started again.....regardless of if i'm supposed to have to do the boot0 fix or not, it would not boot after running 6.1

after doing the upgrade it tried booting using the network, then I tried to tell it to boot from hard drive by pressing F9 and it said no OS found and some error message (i'm sure a 'default' error message from HP about not having an OS).....

yea...screwed mine up.....now I gotta re-install OS X and stay with 6.1b15

Try a fresh install using latest installer. There's nothing wrong with it that we know of. Something else happened to your system.

after installing the 6.1 ProBook installer, that is when the boot issues started again.....regardless of if i'm supposed to have to do the boot0 fix or not, it would not boot after running 6.1

after doing the upgrade it tried booting using the network, then I tried to tell it to boot from hard drive by pressing F9 and it said no OS found and some error message (i'm sure a 'default' error message from HP about not having an OS).....

If you're not going to bother trying the diagnostics that I request (such as those in post #990), I won't bother replying to your posts. It is not worth my time if my advice/questions are ignored.

......and i'm back.....did wipe and re-install and used the 6.1 non-beta and still had issues...so wiped and re-installed again with the beta version and no problem

I've updated to the latest HP ProBook Installer 6.1, all is working fine.

Chimera > No affect boot.
HWMonitor is installed but not starting automatically.
Now sound remember the position and is synchronised.
Brightness is not remembered :(.

I just deleted the DSDT.aml from Extra folder, Restart > Install > Restart ( Is this the correct way ?)

Thanks.

Back