Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

Thanks RehabMan for your support, what i have is a hybrid HDD from Seagate with 8GB SSD don't know if will be ok to delete the sleep image on this hdd.

Thanks

It does not depend on HDD type/hardware. sleepimage and hibernate style sleep is not a requirement. The only use is to safely bring the computer back from sleep in the case of total power loss.

scenario 1 (power loss):
1. laptop goes to sleep on battery power (or power is lost eventually at AC circuit), because of sleepimage availability/setting, OS X saves the contents of RAM/state to HDD as a sort of 'plan B' for wake
2. laptop is sleeping long enough to eventually lose all power, thus the contents of RAM are lost
3. when laptop is turned back on RAM/state is restored from the image on the HDD

scenario 2 (no power loss):
1. laptop goes to sleep on battery power (or power is lost eventually at AC curcuit), because of sleepimage availability/setting, OS X saves the contents of RAM/state to HDD as a sort of 'plan B' for wake
2. laptop wakes before losing power, so it instantly wakes up with the contents of RAM intact

scenario 3 (power loss, no sleepimage/non hybrid sleep):
1. laptop goes to sleep on battery power (or power is lost eventually at AC curcuit), because of sleepimage availability/setting, OS X does not save RAM anywhere
2. laptop is sleeping long enough to eventually lose all power, thus the contents of RAM are lost
3. when laptop wakes, it is a cold boot. OS sees last session it as a (somewhat) hard/unexpected shutdown

Windows calls this hybrid sleep (a rare case where Windows has a better name for something). Basically, the OS prepares for hibernation even in the case of standby sleep.

This does cause a lot of writes (up to the amount of RAM in the machine) on each sleep cycle, so that's why it is not great for SSD as it reduces the lifetime of the SSD. But as you can see it is really a failsafe mechanism to account for total power loss, which if you keep your laptop plugged in during sleep (eg. overnight), then it is rarely an issue.

Plus my idea was to turn it off, then turn it back on, which will re-create the sleepimage. As a test anyway. Certain machines (OS X hacks) have problem resuming from sleep image for some reason. I don't use it (all SSD), so I haven't looked into it.

Maybe random function glitches on our probooks arent' so random if it's on the to do list from hq.

Developers have once again been asked to focus their testing on graphics, PDF viewing, Wi-Fi, and wake from sleep functionality.
Code:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/10/apple-seeds-fourth-beta-of-os-x-1085-mountain-lion

it seems the latest HWMonitor have some issue to initialize itself after boot. When icon clicked it will show some strange looking popup, no option to quit. Sometimes it may go away after a few clicks on 4430s, but on 4440s it will stay in bad state. Once it "quit" (not forced way), through Activity Monitor. It will work fine on second launch. I replaced HWMonitor from PBI beta 15 and now it works correctly.

it seems the latest HWMonitor have some issue to initialize itself after boot. When icon clicked it will show some strange looking popup, no option to quit. Sometimes it may go away after a few clicks on 4430s, but on 4440s it will stay in bad state. Once it "quit" (not forced way), through Activity Monitor. It will work fine on second launch. I replaced HWMonitor from PBI beta 15 and now it works correctly.

Show a photo. I cannot reproduce anything like that here.

Also, maybe something is corrupt in your HwMonitor preferences. Try removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.hwsensors.HWMonitor.plist.

I deleted it, but now after I reinstalled it from 6.1 again, it seems to work fine.

On 4430s issue was happening rarely. On my 4540s new monitor works fine.

Also, I swapped my SSD from 4430s to 4440s and re-ran latest PBI for new configuration and other steps to migrate to 4440s. May be something was still lingering around from 4430s, but now it is finally gone.

PS. I was able to reproduce only issue with UI appearance. It looks like it does not redraw readings as a result the it kind of paints over previous text and it does not look goog. When I try to capture it - it forces UI redraw and it clears most of the "write-overs".

Here is the picture right after reboot. I do not use auto-start option, I launch it manually.

Attachments

• HWMonitor-Bad.jpg
    HWMonitor-Bad.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 166
Here is the picture right after reboot. I do not use auto-start option, I launch it manually.

I've seen something similar to that before. Something to do w/ flakey graphics... I did EC reset and it went away...

EC reset: shutdown, remove battery, remove AC plug, hold power button 30 sec, put everything back & restart.

I've seen something similar to that before. Something to do w/ flakey graphics... I did EC reset and it went away...

EC reset: shutdown, remove battery, remove AC plug, hold power button 30 sec, put everything back & restart.

I did full EC reset removed preferences, but it is coming back after a while. It never happens with version 2.3.14 (5841).

I did full EC reset removed preferences, but it is coming back after a while. It never happens with version 2.3.14 (5841).

You'll just have to wait then... there is constant changes to this code and it is very hard to pick a good time to grab it. He's (kozlek) probably already fixed this issue in the current version, but right now the current code has other problems, so definitely not a good time to make a build. I'll do one when the latest round of serious issues is resolved.

What version of RealtekRTL8111.kext is included with PBI?

I grabbed RehabMan fork from github and built it locally. It seems different from one supplied by latest PBI. Which is better?

Back