Contribute
Register

How to install Mac OSX Sierra on x99 tai-chi

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( Im sorry to hear that... But are you getting any acceleration from this card? My card was showing only 8MB of RAM before they started to support Pascal. Have you tried to replace binary patches like in this discussion? "https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-radeon-rx-480.194775/page-46" I suggest you image your drive first in case something goes wrong.
thanks for doing research for me. :)
I did step by step testing:
1, update fakeID in config.plist as ATI: 0x67EF1002 - boot successful
2, continue to add 9510 and 4100 kext as force to load in config.plist - boot successful
3, update config.plist with the binary patch in the post you mentioned - boot successful
but after these 3 steps, the Graphics/Displays still showing PCIe x8, VRAM 31MB, No Kext Loaded...
so then leaving me the final option: remove fakeID and run it as the 0x67DF1002 as shown in Graphics property...
removed the fakeID, updated 9510 and 4100's info.plist, put them back, ran Kext Utility, reboot.
it again stuck at half way of the status bar.. on the top part of the screen shows 6 little red dots.
oh well.. rebuild the MacOS again.. lol

one thing I don't understand, how come it can deliver 4K resolution on my screens without proper driver? I have 2x 27" 4K monitor, it's now seeing it as one piece of 61" 4K monitor. it's funny...

I'm in total darkness right now, all I can think of are missing drivers... have you saw this discussion? I saw you did some of the steps there "https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...g-x-full-acceleration-in-macos-sierra.206761/" and this "https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/enabling-amd-rx-4xx-cards-in-sierra.201364/page-76#post-1464301"

Also I know it could be too much hassle, but are you a die hard ATI fan? Maybe you can replace it with NVidia device? Which I understand is pretty much giving up... but if you cant have it because you don't have integrated doesn't really give you other option except buying another supported card...

Last edited:
To use an RX480 with this motherboard, you need to have an optional graphics card, possibly native. I had to buy a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5450 due to its low price and passive dissipation. But it was not easy, I encountered many problems to make the latter recognized as the main one. To have an x16 bandwidth, you have to put the RX480 in the upper slot and the Help Card in the lower slot. Only after starting the clover with the help card the system will recognize the fully functioning RX480 as a secondary one. I confess that I had to work a bit on my configuration, especially for the RX480 that will probably never be native.
However, the zvaniel's guide, followed by the letter, is great.

I started with RX480 purely because it is cheaper in price, and I am a heavy windows user, so there's not a problem. just want to try out FCP on 4k editing one day because my old MacBook Air cant even install it and I have such CPU resource sitting right there... didnt think about and research the driver issue before the purchase.. haha. but any problem can be resolved by spending money is never a problem, right? it's actually less hassle if I just buy a 1080/1070/1060/1050....or if I can sell this RX480 out at a reasonable price...

Hey guys. I have x99 AsRock tai-chi motherboard with i7 6800k cpu. It took me about a 3 months and series of drive image restorations to make it work. A fellow hackintosher with the same system as mine, could not make his to work (he couldn't get his system to start the installation media). I explained all I did for mine and it took him about 40 minutes from nothing to a ready post installation. If you have different cpu - replace the fake CpuID with the one that is corresponding to yours from Clover upon booting the installation media.

You can download 3 archives at the very bottom of this guide.

Make sure before you start installation, in your BIOS setting, your VT-D is off and secure boot is disabled.

Create an installation drive with Unibeast. Mount the EFI partition of that drive and copy the contents from "EFI_installation media.zip" to your EFI folder in your EFI partition. If you don't see EFI partition, you can mount it with Clover configurator(in TOOLS>Mount EFI). Insert the installation media in USB 2.0 port. USB 3.0 or anything above will make your system to crash. When you are booting your installation drive, turn off all C-states for the cpu from Clover at boot, all in usb have to be off, all audio have to be off. I left them like that, but there was something that I could't change with editing the plist file so I'm giving you heads up. Delete the flag nvda_drv=1 and replace it with nv_disable=1 if you get panics.

I'm assuming you know how to use Disk Utility so I'll skip explaining that part. After the installation is ready, boot using the flash-drive, install the kexts first from "other.zip" with Kext Utility and copy the "EFI_ready installation.zip" contents from the archive to your EFI folder in your EFI Partition installation drive so you can boot without the USB installation drive from now on. If you can't find EFI partition use Clover configurator to mount it (in TOOLS>Mount EFI). After that install your GPU drivers. If you have Pascal GPU - drivers are available now, check in https://www.tonymacx...nvidia-drivers/ and the CUDA too from NVidia: http://www.nvidia.co....81-driver.html . Restart. Please note that if you have different motherboard from what I have, you have to make your research for the drivers, and kexts, and HEX replacements that you'll need. For example I needed HEX replacement to be able to use my onboard audio, kexts to fix sleeping monitor issue after boot, etc.

If you get kernel panics before and after installation - check your board's usb settings. If the ready installation crashes for no apparent reason, make sure you have the Kexts installed that I mentioned earlier. Another Panic reason can be to too low latencies/high speeds if you have overclocked your RAM. My board is x99 Tai-chi and it have 2 gigabit LAN connection options. Make sure your LAN RJ45 jack is connected to the lower jack on your Motherboard if you have the Tai-chi x99. Don't forget to use the right fake CpuID for your cpu, if it is different from mine.

Siri was a huge head bang to enable, but something tells me the "config.plist" in your ready installation should help her work. Enable your TRIM with "sudo trimforce enable" in the Terminal.

P.S.
Intel wifi is not supported by MacOSx Hackintosh. You have to replace it with compatible hardware. I never changed my wifi card so I can't really help you, because I never had to deal with this issue.
I could never make I-message to work, I followed this guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/), but no matter what I did - my system was always rendered unusable (panics, crashes, etc), if you can make it work, please let me know what you did!

I know there must be better, more sophisticated way to get this all to work, I might have missed something, or included something that shouldn't be in the guide at all, but I run a stable system now with research I conducted by myself so that works great for me. I will always appreciate and welcome creative criticism. We are all here for the same reason.

I bought a gtx1060 instead of my rx470
and I replaced my EFI folder with yours
all works well (video, audio,lan) except bluetooth(it's worked before replaced)

could you please help me to find where I am worry
or give me some possible reason
I want to make the onboard bluetooth worked(for trackpad)

thank you

I started with RX480 purely because it is cheaper in price, and I am a heavy windows user, so there's not a problem. just want to try out FCP on 4k editing one day because my old MacBook Air cant even install it and I have such CPU resource sitting right there... didnt think about and research the driver issue before the purchase.. haha. but any problem can be resolved by spending money is never a problem, right? it's actually less hassle if I just buy a 1080/1070/1060/1050....or if I can sell this RX480 out at a reasonable price...
Gtx 1050 is on sale on Newegg now for $120 I think...

Gtx 1050 is on sale on Newegg now for $120 I think...
eh.. I am out here in APAC... anything involve shipping will simply kill the deal. :S

ok. great progress I just made on this issue... I just sold my MSI RX480 8GB to a local guy here. lol. and placed order for zotac 1060

Last edited:
svaniel thanks for the guide! I finally got my machine up and running. Now I can get to making some nice tunes! Did you ever get iMessage working?

svaniel thanks for the guide! I finally got my machine up and running. Now I can get to making some nice tunes! Did you ever get iMessage working?
No, thank you for asking, at this point I'm over it... I followed one very promising guide, but unfortunately it was stated there that it can't be successful on every configuration...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back