Contribute
Register

How to install Mac OSX Sierra on x99 tai-chi

Status
Not open for further replies.
greatly appreciated that you share your 3-month-hard-work with us. I've been struggling with my taichi x99 / e5-2696v3 / RX480 for days and really happy to found this post, knowing it surely will work! (at least there are ppl out there got it working).
question here tho...
I followed the instruction: create installation disk by unibeast, copy all the files from EFI_Installation media.zip to the EFI partition (basically overwrite whatever was there from unibeast). plug it into an USB2 port and boot up the clover, uncheck CPU Cstate, uncheck audio, then let it boot MacOS from USB. the apple logo shows up and status bar rolling till 45%-50%, the computer just reboot...anything I missed here? is it the cpuID? but clover can recognise my cpu without problem, should I still update it?

Thanks again!

greatly appreciated that you share your 3-month-hard-work with us. I've been struggling with my taichi x99 / e5-2696v3 / RX480 for days and really happy to found this post, knowing it surely will work! (at least there are ppl out there got it working).
question here tho...
I followed the instruction: create installation disk by unibeast, copy all the files from EFI_Installation media.zip to the EFI partition (basically overwrite whatever was there from unibeast). plug it into an USB2 port and boot up the clover, uncheck CPU Cstate, uncheck audio, then let it boot MacOS from USB. the apple logo shows up and status bar rolling till 45%-50%, the computer just reboot...anything I missed here? is it the cpuID? but clover can recognise my cpu without problem, should I still update it?

Thanks again!
First try including nv_disable=1 in the flags in clover and delete nvda_drv=1 that I have included in the archives. As far as I remember I forgot to remove it. From what I read recently in one forum, it was stating that this fake CPUID (0x0306E0) is universal for all Haswell which your CPU happens to be (correct me if I'm wrong). Try this and report back! If it doesn't work - include the flag -v and let us know what it prints on the screen before panic.

Last edited:
First try including nv_disable=1 in the flags in clover and delete nvda_drv=1 that I have included in the archives. As far as I remember I forgot to remove it. From what I read recently in one forum, it was stating that this fake CPUID (0x0306E0) is universal for all Haswell which your CPU happens to be (correct me if I'm wrong). Try this and report back! If it doesn't work - include the flag -v and let us know what it prints on the screen before panic.

Thanks again for the detail instructions. I tried and successfully installed sierra onto my SSD (was planning to install onto the M2 drive but seems that's way too much of work at the moment). but failed when trying to boot from SSD directly.

At the first MacOS boot, I boot from USB stick clover and got into MacOS desktop without issue, I then ran multibeast, unplug the USB stick and try to boot from SSD directly, but it failed (got a prohibit sign).
I got back and read your instruction again, you mentioned about the kext and ready_installation package.. so I copy the ready_installation files into the USB boot stick (overwriting existing files), boot from the USB stick again and run the kext utility, run the multibeast.. unplug the USB stick and try to boot from SSD, still failed.

Did I miss anything here? I think the clover on the SSD is not installed/configured properly. but I have no clue how/what to fix.

Thanks again for the detail instructions. I tried and successfully installed sierra onto my SSD (was planning to install onto the M2 drive but seems that's way too much of work at the moment). but failed when trying to boot from SSD directly.

At the first MacOS boot, I boot from USB stick clover and got into MacOS desktop without issue, I then ran multibeast, unplug the USB stick and try to boot from SSD directly, but it failed (got a prohibit sign).
I got back and read your instruction again, you mentioned about the kext and ready_installation package.. so I copy the ready_installation files into the USB boot stick (overwriting existing files), boot from the USB stick again and run the kext utility, run the multibeast.. unplug the USB stick and try to boot from SSD, still failed.

Did I miss anything here? I think the clover on the SSD is not installed/configured properly. but I have no clue how/what to fix.

ok.. I understand that my USB stick's clover can boot it up successfully. so I use this USB stick boot into MacOS, download and run clover configurator, mount both of the USB stick EFI partition and SSD EFI partition. then copy everything from USB EFI partition EFI folder to SSD EFI portion EFI folder to overwrite them.

then I can boot directly from SSD now.
BUT.... I have to update the clover option every time I boot : un-check the CPU enableC6 box and update the argument with nv_disable=1. how to update and save this parameters so that I can avoid the trouble in the future? sorry if I ask silly question again..

update#1:
Just realize I can use clover configurator to change the settings on my SSD clover. lol... fire up the clover configurator and mount SSD EFI partition, then find out the config.plist and then edit it with clover configurator, replace the nvdr with nv_disable. use text editor to mark the CPU state C6 as false..and it can boot with default settings now.

BUT (again), new issue found.. every time after rebooting, clover couldn't recognize my USB keyboard. I have to unplug it and plug it back to another USB port to make it work. every boot I have to the switching job... now I am playing around with the clover configurator to see if that's something can be fixed..

update#2:
seems the keyboard issue got fixed by connecting the keyboard to another USB port using extension cord... it was connecting to an USB3.0 Hub, then to PC. looks like clover doesn't like USB hub at boot..

New issue: I have 2 monitors connecting to my RX480 display card, but now sierra can only mirror them, there's no "arrangement" tab in display setting. wonder if there's anything wrong with the video driver? any one got idea about this?

Last edited:
ok.. I understand that my USB stick's clover can boot it up successfully. so I use this USB stick boot into MacOS, download and run clover configurator, mount both of the USB stick EFI partition and SSD EFI partition. then copy everything from USB EFI partition EFI folder to SSD EFI portion EFI folder to overwrite them.

then I can boot directly from SSD now.
BUT.... I have to update the clover option every time I boot : un-check the CPU enableC6 box and update the argument with nv_disable=1. how to update and save this parameters so that I can avoid the trouble in the future? sorry if I ask silly question again..

update#1:
Just realize I can use clover configurator to change the settings on my SSD clover. lol... fire up the clover configurator and mount SSD EFI partition, then find out the config.plist and then edit it with clover configurator, replace the nvdr with nv_disable. use text editor to mark the CPU state C6 as false..and it can boot with default settings now.

BUT (again), new issue found.. every time after rebooting, clover couldn't recognize my USB keyboard. I have to unplug it and plug it back to another USB port to make it work. every boot I have to the switching job... now I am playing around with the clover configurator to see if that's something can be fixed..

update#2:
seems the keyboard issue got fixed by connecting the keyboard to another USB port using extension cord... it was connecting to an USB3.0 Hub, then to PC. looks like clover doesn't like USB hub at boot..

New issue: I have 2 monitors connecting to my RX480 display card, but now sierra can only mirror them, there's no "arrangement" tab in display setting. wonder if there's anything wrong with the video driver? any one got idea about this?
You never asked a sully question. I started from scratch too. I had no idea what EFI partition is, or what a boot flag means. But after all the hassle I'd say congratulations for reaching the moment of having an issue within the operating system :p. But unfortunately here's where I won't be able to help you. I've never owned an ATI card. But I researched the issue and here's what I found:
"just added 0xDF and 0xFF into the driver kext, (more detailed:
/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/Info.plist --> add 0x67DF1002 or 0x67FF1002 to IOPCIMatch
/System/Library/Extensions/AMD9510Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist --> add 0x67DF1002 or 0x67FF1002 to IOPCIMatch)"

PS: You have an functioning system now. I suggest you image your SSD system drive before you change anything in it. That will safe you the hassle of installing from scratch if something goes wrong.

Hope all this will help!!

Last edited:
You never asked a sully question. I started from scratch too. I had no idea what EFI partition is, or what a boot flag means. But after all the hassle I'd say congratulations for reaching the moment of having an issue within the operating system :p. But unfortunately here's where I won't be able to help you. I've never owned an ATI card. But I researched the issue and here's what I found:
"just added 0xDF and 0xFF into the driver kext, (more detailed:
/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4100.kext/Contents/Info.plist --> add 0x67DF1002 or 0x67FF1002 to IOPCIMatch
/System/Library/Extensions/AMD9510Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist --> add 0x67DF1002 or 0x67FF1002 to IOPCIMatch)"

PS: You have an functioning system now. I suggest you image your SSD system drive before you change anything in it. That will safe you the hassle of installing from scratch if something goes wrong.

Hope all this will help!!
gosh.. I wish I had read this reply before start changing the config.plist for RX480.. I did google right away and found a 67DF post.. that ultimately led me into a dead end.. (or I did something wrong?). by the time I am replying to this thread.. my hackintosh is going thru a re-install now.. lol

we'll at least I know how to bring it back to the functional state in fairly short time tho...

We learn every day. Here's what I couldn't understand. You tried changing something in the EFI partition and after that you experienced the crash?

We learn every day. Here's what I couldn't understand. You tried changing something in the EFI partition and after that you experienced the crash?

yeah. following the instruction I got, I updated the config.plist in SSD's EFI partition, after that the system will halt during MacOS boot, the status bar will only go half way, then just stop.

seems rx480 full acceleration needs a helper card or iGFX to support. x99 taichi has no iGFX, so there's a nono for me here.
the best I can get is recognising the card as rx480, but it only sees 31M VRAM.. sux..
and still, can't get my dual monitor setup correctly, the system can only do the mirror screens. :(

guess have to wait for a native support in 10.12.5 or 10.13 ....

:( Im sorry to hear that... But are you getting any acceleration from this card? My card was showing only 8MB of RAM before they started to support Pascal. Have you tried to replace binary patches like in this discussion? "https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-radeon-rx-480.194775/page-46" I suggest you image your drive first in case something goes wrong.

Attachments

• config.plist
    10.1 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back