Contribute
Register

Hinsight4 15" iMac G4 Intel NUC Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hinsight, i haven't seen the thinner 14mm version used in an iMac mod. Is there a reason you chose it over the thicker Noctua 92?

All looks great so far...

Cheers!

Hinsight, i haven't seen the thinner 14mm version used in an iMac mod. Is there a reason you chose it over the thicker Noctua 92?

All looks great so far...

Cheers!

Thought I was purchasing one that would fit and was surprised it was slim form factor when it got here. Too lazy to send it back when a little tinkering got it in there just fine and I don't see having any issue with it.

Wouldn't recommend it since I had to cut a notch out of the plastic fan housing.

Tried hooking up my inverter this evening and feel like I'm missing something b/c the backlights do nothing.

5V red inverter wire to 5V red molex
GND black wire inverter to GND molex
5V green inverter wire + 1k ohm resister to 5V red molex
12V blue inverter wire to 12V yellow molex

Left the orange and purple wires (dimmer & on/off) floating.

Plugged the power brick into the 2.5mm jack on the Pico PSU and no dice. Tried jumping the power supply with the normal "on" to GRD on the ATX plug and no luck with that either.

Tried hooking the 5V purple inverter wire to + 1k ohm resister to the 5V on a molex and that didn't get the backlights on either.

Does anyone know if I'm supposed to ground the Pico PSU, or is plugging it directly into the 19V DC brick sufficient?

Attached a few pics, even though I'm sure you can't make out what is going on :)

Attachments

• IMG_3852.jpg
    IMG_3852.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 421
Hinsight, which model of pico is it? A wide input version I hope...

Nope, it's an 80W 12V input I believe....which clicked after I posted this that I was plugging a 19V brick into it. Safe to assume the PSU is fried?

I see the wide input (16V - 24V input) PSU's are available and have the red ATX plug instead of yellow in this model. Guess I should put one on order on Amazon.

The WI-25-120 is the model you need. Handles 19v input easily.

Have you got an old atx PSU kicking around? I keep one in the closet. If so, test your inverter with that.

Cheers!

+1 on E's recommendation.

For sure you'll need a 19V input Pico unless you wanted to use 2 power bricks. The NUC takes a 19V input which is why splicing the Antec PSU that E and I used works fine. Shame your Pico is fried, but in the mean time, try another power source. Old ATX PSU is easiest, I also keep a few lying around.

Good luck!
-IC

Hinsight4 15" iMac G4 Intel NUC Upgrade

The WI-25-120 is the model you need. Handles 19v input easily.

Have you got an old atx PSU kicking around? I keep one in the closet. If so, test your inverter with that.

Cheers!

I don't have another PSU to test with, but thanks for the suggestion.

Going to purchase this one off Amazon, thanks so much!

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Box-picoPSU-120-WI-25-worlds-tiniest-12-25V/dp/B005TWE488/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400848421&sr=8-1&keywords=pico+psu+WI-25-120

- - - Updated - - -

For sure you'll need a 19V input Pico unless you wanted to use 2 power bricks. The NUC takes a 19V input which is why splicing the Antec PSU that E and I used works fine. Shame your Pico is fried, but in the mean time, try another power source. Old ATX PSU is easiest, I also keep a few lying around.

Good luck!
-IC

Thanks for the info!

Good luck!
-IC
just a little correction, the "Haswell" NUC while provided with 19v PSU has a wide input on MB, and I have tested it down to 12v using a power brick that comes with an external HDD, same plug. Not sure if this makes a difference in your build since pico fried, but just pointing out you actually don't need the 19v

Kiwi

Hello, I am new to this too and I finally decided to try this after thinking about it for couple of month. I am also stuck at the inverter step. I connected the inverter wires to Pico PSU and nothing happens. I did get a wide input PSU. I will be coming back to this thread to see your progress and see if I can learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back